Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New P-car addition for daughter

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When our daughter turned 16, we leased her a new Golf TDI. She has had no accidents, but the car is well dinged, and both bumpers are askew. We bought out the lease, as it would have cost too much to return it.

She's 21 now, and is a good kid, but in retrospect we should have got her a used Honda / Toyota / Nissan. We also would have saved big bucks not having to take out collision insurance.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:00 PM
Texas993
Race Car

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I have a similar idea for my son (who will turn 16 in 2.5 years, so I have time!). A regular Boxster is not too fast, is well priced, is reliable, safe, and only has 2 seats. I think that it makes as much sense as a comparably priced Honda, Nissan, etc.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:39 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rinty
When our daughter turned 16, we leased her a new Golf TDI. She has had no accidents, but the car is well dinged, and both bumpers are askew. We bought out the lease, as it would have cost too much to return it.

She's 21 now, and is a good kid, but in retrospect we should have got her a used Honda / Toyota / Nissan. We also would have saved big bucks not having to take out collision insurance.
Not sure about Canada but in the US there is no way a car company will allow you to lease a car, list a teenage driver as a user of that car and not get collision coverage. I guess all insurance is a waste of money...unless you need it!
Old 07-18-2010, 03:59 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
Not sure about Canada but in the US there is no way a car company will allow you to lease a car, list a teenage driver as a user of that car and not get collision coverage. I guess all insurance is a waste of money...unless you need it!
My younger daughter was T-boned at a 4-way stop by another kid her age, who was driving a late-'60's vintage big-*** pickup. He was digging around for his cigarettes and blew right through the stop at about 30 mph, never touched the brakes. It totaled the '94 Volvo 940 she was driving, but she was unhurt, just shaken up. It's a good thing we had plenty of insurance, because he had NONE. The most important criteria for me in choosing the kids' cars was what it would look like after a 3/4-ton Jimmy broadsides it, or after it rear-ends a dump truck. Because it's going to happen.

This Progressive commercial, where they tell you to "name your price" for insurance, cracks me up. Seems like an encouragement to be underinsured. A lot of people out there already name their own price, which is ZERO.
Old 07-18-2010, 04:23 PM
SeanR
Rennlist Member

Received 501 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by Texas993
I have a similar idea for my son (who will turn 16 in 2.5 years, so I have time!). A regular Boxster is not too fast, is well priced, is reliable, safe, and only has 2 seats. I think that it makes as much sense as a comparably priced Honda, Nissan, etc.
Same here Patrick, 2.5 years to go.

Mine gave me the option of a 2010 Audi R8 V-10 or a green 1978 928. Guess which ones she will get

To the OP, congrats, she will love it.
Old 07-18-2010, 05:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 471 Likes on 295 Posts

Before the DE's or Bondurant, may I suggest you enroll her in one of the BMW CCA Street Survival events? They are specifically geared to teens and they come away with greater appreciation for car control and how not to get into trouble. Also, as previously mentioned, autocrosses will teach looking ahead, importance of late apexing, throttle control and stopping distances....all in a controlled environment. Tell her its a great way to meet guys!
Old 07-18-2010, 06:09 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Rich, I would really strongly suggest making the ownership contingent upon at least a couple of PCA autocrosses or some sort of performance driving classes.

I was instructing a 17-year old girl in her dad's Cayman yesterday. Interesting experience, and she was very appreciative and started feeling the car much better by the end of the day. As a guy who cut his teeth on mid-engined cars, I'd really insist on some education in a safe environment.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 811 Likes on 438 Posts

I agree about a two seater for a youngster. I have niece who has a Miata and even she said most of her friends wind up going in other cars therefore limiting exposure to peer pressure.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:21 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Niles, we will both attend a NJ PCA car control clinic @ Meadowlands NJ.
I'll just watch. I already know how to slide the 993@ the track.The shifter go-karts are the ultimate for practice!.
Will be good for her to understand: thershold braking,countersteer,opposite lock etc. plus actually feel it.
Thanks for all input-she is a very timid driver. Im sure the instructor will scare the crap out of her.

Rich
Old 07-18-2010, 06:31 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NC TRACKRAT
Before the DE's or Bondurant, may I suggest you enroll her in one of the BMW CCA Street Survival events? They are specifically geared to teens and they come away with greater appreciation for car control and how not to get into trouble. Also, as previously mentioned, autocrosses will teach looking ahead, importance of late apexing, throttle control and stopping distances....all in a controlled environment. Tell her its a great way to meet guys!

A big +1 on that. It's a good school, our middle daughter went to it and it's worth the time.

But, let me tell you my similar story. First daughter was not into cars so she got a Jeep Cherokee with a straight 6 and automatic. Had no problems with her.

Second daughter, likes cars and so we found her a 1989 944 non-turbo with a stick. Most of my friends thought I was nuts. She was the same as your daughter, good grades, good kid so my argument was the same as yours. A week after passing her license test she totaled it hitting a fire-hydrant. I still don't know the whole story but she claims she hit a rock which pulled the wheel out of her hands causing the car to veer to the right.

The third daughter just got her permit and a chance to get a Ford Explorer from a friend came up so that's what she'll be driving. Take from this what you will. Best of luck to you and her, hope it works out for both of you.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:36 PM
RDS928S
Banned

Received 709 Likes on 316 Posts

Never trust a teenagers re-count of an accident

Last edited by RDS928S; 07-18-2010 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:22 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Never trust a teenagers re-count of an accident
It was only 2 blocks from our house on a residential street so I don't think there was excessive speed involved, just carelessness. Oh well. Made her pay for the fire hydrant though, $1500.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:50 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My oldest just blew through her tenth birthday. I am - reluctantly - listening intently to this conversation.
Old 07-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Insurance runs around 1200 smackers as a "pleasure vehicle"
Just as a point of comparison, to insure a stock Mini for my 18 year old daughter, no tickets, no accidents, is $3500 here in Canada. $1200 is cheap!

Cheers,

Mike
Old 07-19-2010, 01:38 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

So, many of you have posted recommendations for driver's ed courses like Bondurant. Now I don't know about you, but if when I was 16, someone showed me how to make a car go fast around the race track, I would have certainly tried to make the car go as fast as it could on the way to school - I did anyway. So, what is the purpose of these schools for the teen? To teach them car dynamics so that when they inevitably drive too fast, they will have some chance to be successful?

The Street Survival class mentioned sounds very interesting and I assume is focused on how to handle emergency situations that occur in everyday street driving. One of our local PCA members teaches a class for teens, but I am not sure what the emphasis is - need to look into that. Is the BMW school available to anyone?

I have a 15 year old daughter so this is something I have to deal with soon. Luckily, my daughter is more attracted to trucks and SUVs than sports cars. My 14 year old son on the otherhand has a penchant for pony cars.

Quick Reply: New P-car addition for daughter