Prices

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2010, 10:24 PM
dmcentee
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Prices

Hi,

I was thinking of selling my car. 1996 C2, tip, CD changer, 47K miles, 45K maint. done, new tires, professionally maintained. So I looked on ebay to get some ideas for prices and it seems like you can't give these cars away anymore.

Is the recession driving down prices or have the prices for these cars just fallen through the floor when I wasn't looking??

Is there a better place to sell than ebay?

Very dissappointing
Old 07-13-2010, 10:53 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

imo, while for a time 964/993's seemed to hold value - now apparent prices continue to fall....all editions it would seem (recessionary pressures, focus on newer/more efficient technology?). thankfully fall for these series has not been as great as 996's, boxsters
-for sale consider also pelican forum (quite effective) craigslist, autotrader
Old 07-13-2010, 11:11 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Originally Posted by dmcentee
Hi,

I was thinking of selling my car. 1996 C2, tip, CD changer, 47K miles, 45K maint. done, new tires, professionally maintained. So I looked on ebay to get some ideas for prices and it seems like you can't give these cars away anymore.

Is the recession driving down prices or have the prices for these cars just fallen through the floor when I wasn't looking??

Very dissappointing
I'm betting you could definitely give your car away. It you were looking to get $39k for your car, I'd say yes, you'll be disappointed. If you're looking to get $31k for your car, then you're in a much better spot. Your post is only relative to the price your asking. How much do you think you'd get for it?

I may be in a similar boat soon and will have to deal with the same crap you are, minus the people that want a widebody 6 speed. Having a tip, as you know, will help in taking a bit of a beating. It's funny because if I were to buy a 993 again today, I'd get a tip! 12 years of shifting a 911 and then the 993 has been fun, but I'm ready for a more boring driving experience . Too much traffic where I live to shift all day long in bumper to bumper traffic. Heck, all I really need around here is a Hyundai Accent.

Good luck!
Old 07-13-2010, 11:25 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Why disappointing? Every asset has a value, and all things considered, the liquidity of a Porsche (993 specifically here) is pretty damn good. Yeah, I see prices trending down, and if I were looking to exit I'd be happy with ~$32-3K on the C4S and ~$20K on the RSA (yellow car is a different audience, and I'd stand firm at $40K+). Would I be leaving money on the table? I suppose. But I'm not the type who loses sleep over walking past a nickel laying on the sidewalk. That is in STARK contrast to many I've encountered in the car community over the years. And know what? I see most of those guys being miserable, never enjoying what they have, only view the car through the prism of whether he "got a deal" or "sold to a sucker."

Probably a long winded way of saying: "figure out what gets you more pleasure, a number on a bank statement, or having the car in the garage and available for use."
Old 07-13-2010, 11:54 PM
TRM
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
the liquidity of a Porsche (993 specifically here) is pretty damn good.
From my long search I'm actually quite amazed at how well the 993's hold their value. Consider the cars are roughly 15 years old and they are selling for about half of what they sticker'd for on the lot. That's pretty darn good for an automobile IMO.

Most high performance cars I've owned over the years were lucky if they still were worth 50% of retail at 5 years of age.
Old 07-14-2010, 06:32 AM
dmcentee
Advanced

Disappointed because I see similar cars on ebay selling for $10K to $20K.

It's a different market, but my 67 Stingray has increased in value over the same time that my 993 appears to have dropped like a rock. The 911 has been fun and I have enjoyed it, but now it's time to trade it in for something else and that's when the value of the asset becomes relevant.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Disappointed because I see similar cars on ebay selling for $10K to $20K.

It's a different market, but my 67 Stingray has increased in value over the same time that my 993 appears to have dropped like a rock. The 911 has been fun and I have enjoyed it, but now it's time to trade it in for something else and that's when the value of the asset becomes relevant.
993's with your mileage selling for $10k?!? Where? How? I don't have much money but I'll take a few at $10k!
Old 07-14-2010, 08:12 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

993s selling for $10-$20,000???? You are looking at high mileage junkboxes for that money. Your car is worth $30,000+ if well maintained and in good condition. Not a ton of people are looking to buy our 993s so patience is needed.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:10 AM
justin993
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

there are substantially more 993's with higher miles and average condition than there were 5-6 years ago, this being a factor in pricing.
lower mile clean cars still command strong pricing relatively speaking.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:29 AM
Doink
Track Day

The cheap cars on ebay are cheap for a reason. Look closer - accident damage, insurance loss, no history, poor paint re-spray, title issues, the list is endless. Beware there are Sharks out there.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:55 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Mark Geraghty
The cheap cars on ebay are cheap for a reason. Look closer - accident damage, insurance loss, no history, poor paint re-spray, title issues, the list is endless. Beware there are Sharks out there.
And are the $10-20k cars REALLY selling, or is that where the auction ends up? Most times the reserve is higher and not met, however the seller is now in contact with a potential buyer that they can negotiate with.
Old 07-14-2010, 12:23 PM
Safemoney
Racer

Unfortunately I think you're looking at $29K for a fair price.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:52 PM
MikeAR
Racer

Hi,

Very dissappointing
What area are you located in? I might be interested in your car.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:18 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I just don't think eBay is a valid gauge of the market price for these cars anymore. eBay in the last couple years has deteriorated in a morass of shady, questionable vehicles. Buyers flake out, cars end up being discovered to not be as advertised... it's a hell zone. I've bought a few non-Porsche cars through eBay in the past, but I don't even look there anymore. The odd good one that shows up there gets some display time, but typically ends up being negotiated and sold outside of eBay.

I think your clean, well-serviced, (low) 47K-mile '96 with no stories is worth $32K+, even with the tip. Advertise it here, Pelican, cars.com, Autotrader - and even CL may net you a decent buyer, if you want to endure the all gomers and gapers.

And I remember back in the mid-late '70's, you could buy a decent mid-'60's Corvette for a song. I had plenty of opportunities and I wish to hell I had.
Old 07-14-2010, 04:01 PM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

to get some perspective on your disappointment, head over to ferrarichat and read about guys trying to sell testarossas, or the read about the vacuum in 360 prices.
how'd you like to be selling a '96 355F1 right now? after just dropping $7-10k on your 45k engine out service?
feel better?
I sold my 84 carrera when it was 14 years old, got $13.5k, so maybe your '96 is holding some value.

Quick Reply: Prices