993 Forum 1995-1998

In keeping with the "everything" is a mod theme-SHED mod Stage l pics

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 09:17 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 185 Posts
Default In keeping with the "everything" is a mod theme-SHED mod Stage l pics

A little background info here...I'm living in my childhood home, built by my father in the mid fifties. Both my parents passed around 1990, and I've been here ever since. Over the years there have been numerous remodel/addition's to the old Cape. In the mid ninties I added a 16'x24' addition to the 24'x24' existing garage, that was the space for the 911 at the time. I live on a corner lot, and the back driveway lead's to the rear garage addition-which is 16" below the existing floor level.

You would think that a 24'x40' garage would be big enough...wouldn't ya? Well, wife parking on front right side-SQUEEZING in the C4S on the left side during the summer, and the back addition is now filled with my bicycles. Bicycles have been a life defining passion of mine since the early 90's, and I won't give that space up for another car...not even my C4S.

So, the "shed", a very nice out building that at 12'x16', served as a fancy dog house, and garden house growing up. You can still see the three dog doors in the rear shot.

Anyway, a 16'x12' addition is being added to the rear of the shed, with a gable roof with a 5/12 pitch to match the nearby garage. The resulting shed will be 16'wide, by 24' long with an overhead door at the rear. It will be the winter home for the C4S, and hold the mower, etc also.

The last picture gives a clue of what will be going on inside. I've yet to decide on the actual mid rise I'm getting...I need to do that before Monday morning, as the remaining floor slab is being poured.

I'm trying to decide between two models, the Atlas TD6MR, or the Bend Pak LR-60. I like the adjustable arms for the lift points, should be a great solution for multiple vehicles.

Anyway, I'll post up other photo's as the addition progresses
Attached Images    
Old 11-08-2010, 08:14 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Default pretty much done...

just need to finish the overhead door hi lift conversion-reinstall the track/new torsion spring/opener. That door was previously on the main garage, old but usable for this purpose. Also need to buy the Natural gas unit heater, as well as the mid rise lift to fill that hole in the floor. Spent most of today filling the space back up with all the usual garden stuff, summer furniture, etc. There is also built in shelving around the picture window, and around to the natural gas line for additional storage.

Took a long time, and cost way too much $$$. The end result matches the rest of the property beautifully-same roof pitch as the main garage, same gable details, etc. Now all I need to do is next summer, to empty out the main
24'x40'garage, and finish it as nice.

The outside photo's were taken right after we got 4" of rain...what a mess that was. Nice to again have the main garage usuable. During this long drawn out project, there was so much stuff in the garage it was barely usuable.

Still have some site work to complete also. Regrade/topsoil/clean up scrap woodpile, etc. I'll rebuild the limestone wall around the building in the spring, and again transplant the landscaping back around it.

Almost done for this year, almost ready for winter.
Attached Images       
Old 11-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Marshy
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Beautiful digs. Looks like a perfect abode for the new wheels !
Old 11-08-2010, 08:32 PM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, how far you have come from being the guy at the Hershey Swap Meet with a cardboard sign begging for someone to sell you a wide body 993.

Love the new garage. I'm jealous.
Old 11-08-2010, 08:49 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MrBonus
Oh, how far you have come from being the guy at the Hershey Swap Meet with a cardboard sign begging for someone to sell you a wide body 993.

Love the new garage. I'm jealous.
I'll have to get that sign framed, won't I. Really looking forward to Hershey next year. Hope all is well Ian..
Old 11-08-2010, 08:57 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 188 Posts

Looks great!!
Old 11-08-2010, 09:44 PM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

That is awesome. I'm jealous.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:44 PM
firesm
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice! I'm just finishing insulating and drywalling my garage in preparation for winter. Have you decided on your gas heater yet? I installed a Big Maxx 45k btu ng heater from Mr. Heater and it's awesome. One of my buddies from work who's also a gas fitter hooked up the gas and was very impressed with the unit and said it couldn't be beaten for the price. My garage is 34x24 with 11' high ceilings and it took about 5 min to go from 50 to 60 degrees.
here's a link: http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=50&id=117
Old 11-09-2010, 07:47 AM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by firesm
Very nice! I'm just finishing insulating and drywalling my garage in preparation for winter. Have you decided on your gas heater yet? I installed a Big Maxx 45k btu ng heater from Mr. Heater and it's awesome. One of my buddies from work who's also a gas fitter hooked up the gas and was very impressed with the unit and said it couldn't be beaten for the price. My garage is 34x24 with 11' high ceilings and it took about 5 min to go from 50 to 60 degrees.
here's a link: http://www.mrheater.com/product.aspx?catid=50&id=117
That's the style I'm after, I'll have to find a price for it. I've got pricing on the Modine Hot Dawg-too expensive in my opinion. Can't find my research sheet right now, but the 45K Hot Dawg was almost $500 IIRC.

Actually, I could probably go with a 30k-although the price diff is only$30.

Thanks for the link, I'll look for some pricing info.

Don't forget to get a ceiling fan installed in your garage too. Moving air always feels warmer.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:25 AM
MrBonus
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
I'll have to get that sign framed, won't I. Really looking forward to Hershey next year. Hope all is well Ian..
Yes, you will. It would look great next to a bunch of vintage Porsche motorsport prints on the wall of your garage.
Old 11-09-2010, 01:14 PM
dlee888
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome!!!!!! Love it!
Old 11-09-2010, 01:42 PM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Sweet, I could live in there. Just need frig &TV.

BTy how come you did not select period correct garage door?
Old 11-09-2010, 08:10 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by RDS928S
Sweet, I could live in there. Just need frig &TV.

BTy how come you did not select period correct garage door?
Period correct...you mean like carriage style?

That's what I really wanted, but...This door was on the main garage-where we put some very nice carriage doors on this summer. A high lift carriage style door was over $1k-simply getting a hi rise conversion kit/new rollers/torsion spring, was under $200.

The rear of the structure from the road is pretty well hidden. I have a crescent moon shaped row of Hemlock's just aside of it.

Anyway, I got over $12K in this space already...and the cable/phone setup is ready to go anytime.

I have a great setup in the main garage-full size fridge loaded with very cool stickers, smokin stereo system with surround, and a decent size tv. I hardly ever watch any tv at all in there, but the stereo does get some good use.

I'm not real concerned about a tv/stereo just yet for the space, however...I do have a very nice mini fridge that'll do just nicely.
Old 11-09-2010, 08:25 PM
ploglet
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Very nice. Amazing how important the garage becomes.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:45 AM
600RR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nice attention to detail. Did your folks proud by your work. Beautiful property, too.

Quick Reply: In keeping with the "everything" is a mod theme-SHED mod Stage l pics