993 Forum 1995-1998

Radio/ Stereo help

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 10:25 PM
Chapron67
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio/ Stereo help

i believe I have the factory CD/Radio in my '96 993 and it's dead. I removed it tonight and the 'power' wire was 'exposed and frayed' but still connected. I wrapped it in electrical tape and reinstalled but still dead.

Any ideas?

I'd prefer to keep this same unit but if I have to replace it I'd rather get a bluetooth phone and iPod connector so I can use it with my iPhone. I've looked at a Kenwood 994 but it doesn't look very good (I'd prefer 'clean design' like the original one). Anyone have any ideas or experience with this. I'm not looking for a 'killer' system just something 'OK'.

Thanks, Greg
Old 06-30-2010, 12:35 PM
titleist1
Racer

Try beckerautosound.com, they can probably fix it
Old 06-30-2010, 04:13 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

Before to go the Becker do the following basics:

1. Ensure that the fuse is not broken. Check the one in the box under the hood and there might be one plugged into the radio. An exposed power wire will trip them easily.
2. When you have checked this, measure that you have the correct voltage in the plug to make sure that power is supplied to the unit. You need to check permanent 12V power (socket A pin 4) and the switched power (socket A pin 7).

Here you can find the pins for most of the Beckers (radio side):

Old 06-30-2010, 07:49 PM
Shake
Instructor

While you're in there you should replace the deck. If you have factory hi-fi sound, replacing the deck makes the sound system come alive. Then of course store the stock radio somewhere safe.

I put the alpine iDA-X305 in my car, sounds awesome, I've got the audio processor module for it. If you're gonna use it with your iphone, get the bluetooth module, it will transmit the audio, digitally, over that, pretty sweet setup.

Quick Reply: Radio/ Stereo help