Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

O.T. - What's the best lawnmower?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 03:49 AM
VMXWinn
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Exmark with the Kawaski motor is much better than the Honda motors. The Kawaski has a oil pump so it is presure feed lubricated. The Honda, splash lubricated on both the OHV and OHC motors. Kawaski, spin on oil filter. Honda, what oil filter.

I am in the heavy equipment business, CAT, and on our rental side we run and sell so many small pieces of equipment, pumps generators etc... that run either Honda, Robin(whicn is Subaru) Briggs and such. And my point is that there are a lot of problems with the Honda's and they are just OVER RATED. And I can back this claim up with novels of warranty claims if anyone wants to challange my statement..

Bottom line the Kawaski is a much superior engine and Exmark is the only manufacture that I know of that uses them.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:35 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dcdude
Per their propaganda:

"Using a typical gas mower for one year can pollute as much as a car driven for 22,000 miles. "
I moved away from the city to get away from polution and now I'm going to develop a phobia of using my new mower. I really find that statistic hard to beleive. Maybe a Buggati powered lawnmower.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:06 AM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Craftsmen with a Honda motor which I really like. One feature it has that is great is a clutch. Normally the safety bar stops both the motor and the blade. One mine it disengages only the blade, makes those quick stops to move a stick or rock much easier.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:08 AM
Van1
Drifting

Received 64 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
Bottom line the Kawaski is a much superior engine and Exmark is the only manufacture that I know of that uses them.
Scag uses Kawasaki engines. My 36" Scag has a 15hp Kawasaki V Twin.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:03 PM
Allen
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by VMXWinn
And my point is that there are a lot of problems with the Honda's and they are just OVER RATED. And I can back this claim up with novels of warranty claims if anyone wants to challange my statement..
All I know is that I have had the same Honda mower since 1992...has always cranked on the first pull...and I have NEVER had a single problem with it. And I have many friends with the same results. The only mainitenance has been bi-yearly oil changes, yearly air filter cleaning, and WD40 on cables. Wanna guess what the results would be if you took a poll...are Honda lawnmowers overrated...???
Old 06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

I use a JD rider for the lawn and a cheap Sears w/6 HP engine for cutting weeds/brush.....it cost $139 over 10 years ago and I just change oil and filters and sharpen the blades.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:52 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Bouzoukikid
I moved away from the city to get away from polution and now I'm going to develop a phobia of using my new mower. I really find that statistic hard to beleive. Maybe a Buggati powered lawnmower.
It's pretty simple - most mowers have very crude/non-existant emission control devices compared to modern passenger cars because I don't believe mower emissions are usually regulated. You don't have to smog your mower because it's an "off highway" pollution source. I always thought that this distinction was totally absurd in that polluted air easily blows from the "off highway" location (like your yard or your neighbor's) to where you live, sleep and breathe.
Old 06-29-2010, 01:56 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is a plug for Honda. A friend of mine's home was flooded during the recent flood in Nashville. He has a Honda lawnmower that he was going to pitch as it had been submerged under 4' of water twice that weekend. I told him that it was a Honda and I bet it will start w/o a problem. So I took it home drained the water out of the crankcase and fuel tank, drained the oil (yep) out of the carb bowl, took off the valve cover and sprayed WD-40 all through it. I then filled and drained the crankcase twice with Mobil 1. It started with two pulls! I was amazed.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:58 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

"Using a typical gas mower for one year can pollute as much as a car driven for 22,000 miles. "
Depends on the car, depends on the mower. A 993 without a cat vs. a fuel injected mower with evaporative recovery system (yes they exist and are more prevelant than you think). The mower has a fraction of the emission output. Not all electric mower sales propaganda is true.
It's pretty simple - most mowers have very crude/non-existant emission control devices compared to modern passenger cars because I don't believe mower emissions are usually regulated.
Really???

Guess the mower and handheld equipment manufacturers are wasting time and money meeting those non-existent emissions regulations.

Phase 3 for small gas engines:
http://ecfr.gpoaccess.gov/cgi/t/text....1.1.9&idno=40

Diesel mowers have standards also, tier 4 info:
http://www.dieselnet.com/standards/us/nonroad.php

Off soapbox, gotta go crack open some R12 Freon cans and point them at the sky.
Old 11-01-2019, 05:51 AM
Absquatulate
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Husqvarna Lawn Mowers can be great for your lawn and is most trusted by most of its users for its innovation. This Auto Mower does the entire task for you and you can sit and relax.

Quick Reply: O.T. - What's the best lawnmower?