Belt Replacement Woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:06 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts
Angry Belt Replacement Woes

Well, this weekend is not going to be as fun as I planned...

Last night I decided to replace my belts and now it looks like I'll need a new alternator.

The alternator shaft where the triple square bit goes in was completely rounded off at some point during its life. Now I can't get the bit in there, much less use leverage to undo the 24mm nut. Meanwhile the alternator belt is in pretty bad shape and I don't want to drive the car with it.

I may have to grind off the nut and get a replacement alternator. Here's a couple of pictures of the issue (not mine, borrowed from another 'lister - mine's worse).

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:21 PM
ptom914
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi,

Would a boken bolt extractor fit in there? Is it a right hand nut?

Philip
Old 06-26-2010, 12:33 PM
ptom914
Track Day

Hi,

Sorry, if it's a right hand nut, a regular sheet metal screw should do.

Philip
Old 06-26-2010, 02:41 PM
guards red
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Hi Ilko,

Don't grind the nut off, it's not necessary. Cut the belts off and undo the strap holding the fan housing in place. This will allow you to take the big plastic cap off that covers the electrical connections. Once undone you can remove the whole thing to your workbench.

You can then pull the alternator out of the housing giving you options. You can take the rear fan off for example and clamp the shaft in a vise and remove the 24mm nut. If you check the P-Car website there's pics of a alternator that a guy welded a nut to to take the place of rounded off bit.

http://p-car.com/diy/alternator/

Hope this helps
Regards
GR
Old 06-26-2010, 05:46 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

Whoa! Don't pull that alternator yet! Get yourself the short triple square socket we talked about or cut off one of the el cheapo ones and weld it onto a box wrench as shown in P-Car. Then, use a hammer to tap it into the buggered-up hole. If the hole is already too big for that, just go up to the next size triple square. Once you get a good bite on it, soak the nut in penetrating oil or PB Blaster, then have a go at it.
The following users liked this post:
Gjbacci (02-21-2021)
Old 06-26-2010, 05:55 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 565 Likes on 202 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I'm a little concerned about using a sheet metal screw or a bolt - I'm afraid it can break and then I'm really "screwed."

I already have the triple square socket from Snap-On. Unfortunately there is just not enough room between the socket and the lid hardware to give it a good tap. I've soaked the nut in penetrating oil as well...

The other thing I could do is remove the bumper and lower the engine if I really wanted to tap it in, but that's just too much work for an uncertain result...

Cut the belts off and undo the strap holding the fan housing in place. This will allow you to take the big plastic cap off that covers the electrical connections. Once undone you can remove the whole thing to your workbench.
Thanks for the suggestion GR, I'll look into this further, it seems to be the least invasive way.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:51 PM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cut the bad belts off, replace alternator.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:11 PM
Basal Skull
Rennlist Member

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

is there a good oil filter wrench or 'strap' type of wrench that may fit over the pulley to give you enough to take the nut off?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:24 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,442 Likes on 835 Posts

hey ilko, you coming to the rcdolner event?

You think you can get this sorted in time?
Old 06-26-2010, 08:30 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 565 Likes on 382 Posts

Drill it out slighty, tap it, and thread in a ground down bolt. Go LH thread if needed. Just an idea.

However, i do like the idea of tack welding on a small nut.
Old 06-26-2010, 09:30 PM
NC TRACKRAT
Rennlist Member

Received 464 Likes on 290 Posts

I, too, thought I didn't have enough room to tap the triple square in but you'd be amazed at what repetitive tapping can do, even with the close quarters. It will work. Do you want to borrow my set-up with the welded-in triple square stock in a box wrench? If so, PM me and I'll send it to you.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:28 AM
jan the man
Rennlist Member

I had the same problem when i changed my belts 3 months ago. I used an oil filter wrench to hold the pulley with the old belt on, the main nut came off easily. Its the wrench that looks like a claw, i also think that is what it is called. I also used it to hold the pulley with the new belt on to tighten the nut. You have to be carfeful not to damge the new belt i put duct tape between the new belt and the wrench to protect it. worked great.
Old 06-27-2010, 02:23 AM
xs1180
4th Gear

If you have a good air impact hit the trigger quickly on and off, it will break the nut free. I a licenced mechanic, I've done this many times.
Old 06-27-2010, 06:32 AM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts

two quick alternatives:
easiest one first, take a cross (philips) screw driver 20 cm long, introduce it in the the small square holes
in the fan right above the pullies deep inside it goes in the alternator openings and blocks the alteranator turbine from turning, thus the alternator shaft will block, undo the nut.
If screwdriver doesn't go deep, slowly undo the shaft nut and work the screwdriver in, it will go in.
if you go gently. you would not hurt the alternator.
second alternative, you take a chisel and hold it vertical on the nut at 11 o'clock and give it a blow, it will loosen.
that is the way I ALWAYS do it, with a spare new nut, I never touch the alternator shaft with no tool, I hate to see it striped.
PS: WEAR EYE PROTECTION IF YOU WANT TO CUT THE BELTS. even after you cut them. when you pull the cut belt
from the car up vertically, it rebounds from the crank pulley and hit your eye, ask me how I know.
regards
to remove fan from alternator shaft, go here

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...tor-shaft.html

Last edited by geolab; 06-27-2010 at 07:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2010, 04:37 PM
Akerlie
Burning Brakes

Guess you just have to wait till 11 o'clock then Ilko

Quick Reply: Belt Replacement Woes