Sponsored by:

Do not tap to take Engine Fan out of alternator Shaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 01:55 PM
geolab
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 125 Posts
Default Do not tap to take Engine Fan out of alternator Shaft

A fellow rennlister had a problem taking his fan and hub out of the alternator shaft.
He apparently tapped the shaft with rubber mallet, then with tapper and hammer with all his force, and the shaft did not move.
After I answered his pm, he was surprised that the method I gave him I never posted on rennlist. So as excuse, I wrote the description on pcarworkshop, and copy pasted here, for the ones who don't know.

"It was very frustrating for me to open the hood of any 993 and see the alternator shaft threads dead. This socket where the Porsche tool holds the shaft, is very soft iron, if you tap on it with a hammer to remove fan because the rubber mallet did no effect, the socket tip end of the shaft will melt and open like a flower. There is another safe and effortless way to remove fan and hub from shaft without jaw puller or extra tools or zero tapping. Take one of the three hex bolts that hold the pulleys to fan hub in picture 2, and go to your local store and purchase 3 x the same bolt but double the length (about 4 inches long bolts), make sure they are threaded up till the head of the bolt. Hold fan with alternator upright fan facing up. look in the bolt holes in hub and tilt the alternator from fan so that there is metal from the alternator face front, behind these three holes. Now introduce the three long bolts you got from the store by hand until they block. Now tighten each bolt one full turn before passing to the next bolt. While tightening in a circle, the alternator shaft will start sinking in the hub. The bolts will push away the pulley from alternator until the shaft is out, voila !"

Last edited by geolab; 12-28-2009 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2009, 02:51 PM
ReinerFink
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good advice! I felt only slightly bad returning an alternator core with a buggered shaft b/c it wouldnt come off.

-reiner

Quick Reply: Do not tap to take Engine Fan out of alternator Shaft