Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

1995 993 with whale tail ok to drive in rain??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 01:45 AM
Speedyellow993
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default whale tail

Do you want to trade tails??? My tail is black and in perfect condition.

Al

Originally Posted by baca
Posted a pic speedyellow, not sure if it's gonna pop up or not cause I just joined yestereday and not really sure if I did right, just added the pic now. I actually kinda wish I had the regular deck and spoiler on the car because I've seen some like mine without the whale-tail that look really good and sleek and almost make it look like a speedster.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:09 AM
TargaTango
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Clubsport rear spoiler with a fixed open slat rear deck lid. I once had the misfortune to drive for 1 hour in a torrential downpour, which even for Hong Kong was a biggie. To give you an idea of its intensity, driving on new freeway at 60mph I went past a truck coming in the opposite direction which threw up a wave of water such that it landed with a thud on the windscreen and I had absolutely no vision for about two long seconds. The engine did not miss a beat and there were no ill effects afterward (apart from me nearly having soiled my nappy as I have no AC or demist apart from my hand, and I was driving on R compound tires). Drive and enjoy.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

have been using a eurostyle RS wing for the past year with no problems in rain or parked in rain where I work. It did come with a (porsche) snorkel adapter that fit into the airbox opening and the opening faces up to the sky vs. straight horizontal. I was told this was because with the fixed wings the under hood air temperature is higher when driving. Read some threads on it including some with some testing and seemed to be a real event. The snorkel helps with fresh air intake and reduces temperature of intake air.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:11 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by baca
Posted a pic speedyellow, not sure if it's gonna pop up or not cause I just joined yestereday and not really sure if I did right, just added the pic now. I actually kinda wish I had the regular deck and spoiler on the car because I've seen some like mine without the whale-tail that look really good and sleek and almost make it look like a speedster.
My car (also a cab) had the turbo tail also when I got it, and this spring I went back to the stock decklid. I agree, the car has a nice look with the stock lid. I also like the turbo tail, so undecided if I will sell it.

Regardless, congrats on your new car!
Old 06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
race911
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Having had more wings of various sizes on too many torsion bar era cars than I can remember, it's a non-issue. HOWEVER, one time with the '92 C4 and the factory RSA wing from the race car installed, the intake became iced over coming back from Utah in nowhere Nevada during a snowstorm. I could barely keep 45-50mph. I'd driven the car through some nasty storms going to our house in Reno with the stock motorized wing and never had any issues.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:33 PM
jscott82
Rennlist Member

Received 381 Likes on 249 Posts

Assuming everything is well maintained, car should run just fine in the rain..... However, the distributors get drenched, so if the caps or cables are in dis-repair you could have problems.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:01 PM
baca
Advanced

yeah Clib i was reading about the intake temps on p-car.com and thinking about getting the snorkel(intake trumpet) and trying to put it on if I keep the turbo tail. As far your a tail speedyellow, are you talking about the one that's currently on ur yellow 993 in the avatar? Or do you have an extra tail & decklid that is black?
Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

The louvers on our car's spoilers are directional as long as you are going forward, the faster you go, the rain drops are separated by the slats, letting air in, while any water is diverted to internal drains. Basic aerodynamics, negative and positive pressures over the wing surface.

Quick Reply: 1995 993 with whale tail ok to drive in rain??