Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Convertible Top Broke

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 07:58 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Has anyone else ever bent their frame and had it fixed?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have fixed bent,busted,ripped tops.

When it is just bent, most of the time you can get away with twisting it back the other way. It is worth a shot before replacing expensive parts.

You are lucky you noticed the "twist" before "pop". Most people do not.

Get the old cables out and twist it back untill it seats up nice to the front. Reinstall new cables and have a beer.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:09 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
I have fixed bent,busted,ripped tops.

When it is just bent, most of the time you can get away with twisting it back the other way. It is worth a shot before replacing expensive parts.

You are lucky you noticed the "twist" before "pop". Most people do not.

Get the old cables out and twist it back untill it seats up nice to the front. Reinstall new cables and have a beer.
Thanks so much!!! I feel a little calmer now. I'm going to let the top experts do this, but it's nice to know that people have experienced bent top frames. I'll have a beer or two once it's all over.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:20 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is not hard If you have another person. Once the cables/trans bolts are out you hold a front corner while your helper holds the other front corner. Close it, twist it,close it, twist it... till it seats up nice, don't take too much out per twist. Then just reinstall the new cables and time it.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:43 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Boston911fan
It's a place called Royal Auto Tops in West Roxbury. I met the guy, George, once, and he seemed very experienced. He's been doing roofs for decades. Where did you take your car? I'm hoping that the frame is not bent too badly where it can be fixed and not replaced...
I've heard of Royal in West Roxbury and he was highly recommended. I've actually seen his leather work on a 996 and it looked good to me.

My roof was done by Belmont Seat Cover and Auto Top. The result was OK, not spectacular, so I would look elsewhere if the price is similar.

West coast people consistently get their tops replaced for $1K or so from what I understand.
Old 06-22-2010, 07:33 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
It is not hard If you have another person. Once the cables/trans bolts are out you hold a front corner while your helper holds the other front corner. Close it, twist it,close it, twist it... till it seats up nice, don't take too much out per twist. Then just reinstall the new cables and time it.
Doesn't sound so hard, but I think I bent the frame, too. That I cannot fix on my own...But again, thanks for the tip!

Originally Posted by nile13
I've heard of Royal in West Roxbury and he was highly recommended. I've actually seen his leather work on a 996 and it looked good to me.

My roof was done by Belmont Seat Cover and Auto Top. The result was OK, not spectacular, so I would look elsewhere if the price is similar.

West coast people consistently get their tops replaced for $1K or so from what I understand.
Thanks. I just called him, and I'm going to bring it to him on Friday morning to get an estimate. He didn't sound so amused when I told him that the frame was off kilter, but he sounded like he could fix it. Prime Porsche recommended him to me since that's where they take their customers' cars. Those silly West Coasters always get the best when it comes to cars!
Old 06-22-2010, 03:43 PM
Dudley
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was researching tops, Adolf's in Natick was most helpful - 508-655-3177.
I have no experience with them but I think they are worth a call.
Best of luck.
Old 06-23-2010, 08:45 AM
Boston911fan
Pro

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2010, 02:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

I've also spoken to the guy at Adolf's before doing my top. He was nice, but I think he was not very sure of 993s.

Quick Reply: Convertible Top Broke