Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Is there a definitive guide to mounting Recaro Pole Positions?

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2010, 01:07 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Is there a definitive guide to mounting Recaro Pole Positions?

Yes I've searched!

I need to figure out how best to mount them using sliders and 3 point belts, but also allow for a sub-belt mount.

Since the RS and speedster used this seat, are the factory parts the way to go?

Anyone have direct experience?

thanks!!
Old 06-19-2010, 01:36 AM
Porsche Fan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default seats

the RS and Speedster seat was OEM'd by Recaro.... meaning it's very similar to Recaro's Pole Position, but definitely not the same.

Aesthetically, the RS/Speedster seat has the Eddie Van Halen raised "stripes" on the seat back (Pole Position back is plain/flat).

Here's the "important" difference, the Pole Position seat is wider than the RS/Speedster seat. So wide that to mount it in a 964, 993, 928, 944 (e.g., a Porsche with a "center tunnel"), the Pole Position seat is in fact too wide.

Hence, Porsche contracted Recaro to make a bucket seat to Porsche's specification to fit Porsches of that period (as these seats were on the "narrow" side, many 964 Speedster owners were/are too fat to fit; and thus had the Dealer install "comfort" seats - which is one of the reasons there were/are "loose" sets available).

FYI, a Genuine Porsche RS/Speedster seat will bolt straight into any Porsche built from 1974 to 1998 (OTHER THAN THE BOXSTER, which would still work with 986 sliders).

However, a Pole Position seat can be installed..... but it will be a tad "off center" (to clear the center tunnel.... so it'll skew outward to the door thresholds).

To install Pole Positions, you'll need side brackets with "oblong" holes to mount the sliders. This way you'll maintain the 17" width for lining up the sliders to the tub's mounting brackets (while skewing outward to clear the center tunnel - hence the need for the oblong holes). Speedware Motorsports used to and may still sell such side mounts.

Or you can source a pair of Genuine Porsche RS/Speedster seats that will bolt straight in and they'll sit "dead-center" to boot

If you don't mind the "bat man" styling, opt for a set of 996 euro GT3 seats. You can modify the sliders to work in earlier cars - or bolt on a set of 74-98 sliders and you're good to go.

Porsche Fan

Last edited by Porsche Fan; 06-19-2010 at 01:43 AM. Reason: grammer
Old 06-19-2010, 01:43 AM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Crap!

Thats not the only thing wrong with the PP. Its too wide for me. The SPG fits perfect, but is only sold in velour, though could be upholstered. And of course, its pretty tight. Most passengers would hate it.

Damn it. I really want a clean, proper install. The OEM seats are 3X the price if I'm lucky.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:07 AM
Porsche Fan
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default rs

BTW, I am not affiliated with above linked ebay listing. Thus, do not hold me responsible for the ebay listing, ebayer or the seats in the listing.

However, if you want a flawless set of Genuine Porsche 964 Speedster seats, I have a pair available....
Attached Images      
Old 06-19-2010, 11:00 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 512 Likes on 352 Posts

I mostly agree w/ Porsche Fan pp can be mounted w/ some effort and will look and work great for many users

the #1 issue I see w/ pp is the small shoulder harness holes which limit the ability to properly use a 5 or 6 pt harness, particularly for tall guys. Yes, definitely use as many factory parts as possible

the sub straps won't be an issue, you can either drill through the floor or use GT3 bars

Porsche fan, nice seats! someone should jump on them
Old 06-19-2010, 11:34 AM
jaholmes
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just want to find a set of the real manual sliders like you have and stop dicking around with the aftermarket stuff.

I also agree that the shoulder holes are not really in the right place, and the seat is a little narrow. I went the the SPG-XL. Better fit for 5pts and hans support.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:07 AM
tdarby
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

bk makes a sub mount belt specifically for the 993. it mounts bttween seat and sliders. I have one laying around if you want a picture. i have it on my pole positions
Old 06-22-2010, 02:32 PM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jaholmes
I just want to find a set of the real manual sliders like you have and stop dicking around with the aftermarket stuff.

I also agree that the shoulder holes are not really in the right place, and the seat is a little narrow. I went the the SPG-XL. Better fit for 5pts and hans support.
I was told by Gert @ Carnewal that the 993 specific sliders are impossible to find and were never sold by Porsche individuallz. He sells factory GT3 seats with these 993 specific sliders but not separately. They are the best solution but a set costs 4000euro + VAT + shipping
Old 06-05-2016, 05:07 AM
goldengun
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread but I recently had a v well known UK company retrim my 993, including installation of Recaro Pole Positions.

As mentioned above, they do sit too close to the centre tunnel, and I was wondering if anyone has a source for floor mount adapters that would allow them to be moved slightly further out, away from centre ?

Quick Reply: Is there a definitive guide to mounting Recaro Pole Positions?