Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT : London, Paris, Venice, Rome : Older kids in tow, where to go?

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 11:41 AM
DJF1
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 65 Likes on 27 Posts

So many places so little time! In France if you can squeeze it a worth while trip is to the Loire Valley. There you will find the most beautiful castles, the road that runs along the river is also called "Kings road" from the amount of historic castles. Here is a link I found:http://www.sightseeingworld.com/tour...irevalleytour/
Loire Valley is also famous for its white wine varietals and the added bonus is that on the way to Loire Valley from Paris you can stop by LeMans, visit the museum and drive on the Mulsanne straight
Old 06-29-2010, 12:05 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

More great suggestions, thanks ! For Paris, we have an apartment booked (in fact, we have apartments in London and Rome too, but not Venice).

We will have to stick to the city center for Paris, we do not have that much time to go to the countryside.

Cheer,

mike
Old 06-29-2010, 12:41 PM
ggg1ggg
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran
PARIS restaurants:
Too many and in all price ranges; again, avoid the usual touristy squares, etc. and you should be fine.
Agree: Paris and Venice - DO NOT go to the places with the set "tourist menu", which typically cluster on the same streets near tourist attractions.

Last time we were in Venice we were with someone that was on a budget - not a great place for that.

In Rome the "tourist menu" isn't as bad, though - perhaps boring, but typically good quality Italian fare at a cheap price.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:05 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If there are still any holes in your itinerary, just a reminder that tripadvisor.com is a great resource for restaurants and attractions in addition to hotels. Hopefully your girls can handle some history.

ROME:
You can't spend enough time in the Forum and Trajan's Market(SP?). History is literally everywhere at your feet and it's mostly free. They charge to go in the Colluseum now, didn't think the 15 Euro or whatever was worth it, but do see the outside. Did do a 1/2 day bus trip to go by the Circus Maxiumus, aquaducts and catacombs. Trevi Fountain at night was really neat. Please don't miss the Vatican/St. Peter's/Sistene Chapel. It's going to eat up almost a whole day with travel time, but it's amazing and worth the time.

LONDON:
I'm a history buff (and gear head!), so no London area visit could be complete for me without a trip down to the Royal Naval Museum in Portsmouth: http://www.royalnavalmuseum.org/

I'd also need to check out some of the Historic Royal Palaces (Tower, etc.) http://www.hrp.org.uk/

I agree with Rinty (below) Wicked is a great show for girls, especially if they are younger. Saw it here in L.A.

Last edited by dcdude; 07-04-2010 at 11:38 AM.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:18 PM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mike:

I haven't read all the posts above, but there is a district in Paris that has a number of stores which have big name brand women's fashions at really low prices. I don't recall whether the items are seconds, or unsold merchandise. It's close to the centre, and we just cabbed in there. I will look up the name of the district in my Frommer, and post it here for you.

In London, you may want to take the girls to the musical "Wicked", at the Apollo:

http://www.apollovictoria.co.uk/

http://www.wickedwestend.co.uk/

It's fantastic, and easy to get to. Just take the Tube to Victoria Station.

Also, my wife says Tops is really good for young ladies' fashions, in London.

P.S. I believe the district is Rue d'Alesia in the 14th Arondissement. Anna Lowe, next to the Bristol Hotel is supposed to have good deals too.

Last edited by Rinty; 07-01-2010 at 07:26 PM. Reason: updated post
Old 07-03-2010, 08:11 PM
Durango Kid
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Italy

Just returned from 2 weeks in Italy. 5 nights in Rome, 5 nights in Florence and 3 nights in Venice.

You can probably see everything you want to see in Rome in 3 days; Vatican, Ancient Rome. Took a day trip to Pompeii as well.

Florence and Tuscany were my favorites, but it doesn't look like you plan to visit.

Venice, must see. No other place on earth like it. Murano island is worth the trip, your taxi will be covered and take a bus back.

We rented an apartment in Rome and hotels in Florence and Venice. Check out http://www.homeaway.com/

Would recommend renting an apartment everywhere, especially with your girls in tow.

If you have an iPhone, download the Lonely Planet city guides. WiFi is scarce, consider at least a minimum data plan.

Figure out the bus and subway in Rome and you'll get around easily without taxis. Buy a "bus" pass in Venice. You can take a train to/from Venice/Florence/Rome.

Watch the weight of your luggage. I was charged 150 Euro heavy bag fee.

Never leave your apartment without a food plan or you'll end up eating at some overpriced dump. It's like going to the grocery store hungry! If you pay attention to nothing else, this is the most important point!

Never eat at a restaurant located on the plaza with outdoor seating. Never eat at a restaurant that has people showing you menus and inviting you in.

Most of all, enjoy!

Quick Reply: OT : London, Paris, Venice, Rome : Older kids in tow, where to go?