Sponsored by:

Viper Crash And I Was There

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2010, 12:30 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Noah
The story of getting cut off by a Jeep doesn't sound surprising. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that the sight of a Porsche (or any "exotic" sports car) on the road causes some people to basically go crazy. They either try to race you, or take off, or start weaving through traffic, or try to run you off the road. A couple of times I've had pickup trucks or SUV's for absolutely no reason try to block me from merging onto the highway, or prevent me from changing lanes ("oh, he's signalling? speed up and cut him off!") This is such a regular occurrence that I've coined a psychological term for it: Porsche Derangement Syndrome.
+1 Glad to know it is not just me. One thing I've noticed is that people insist on tail gating me way more when I'm in the Porsche than in our other cars. Its like, "I'll show him I can keep up with a Porsche!!" Well great buddy, did you notice I'm just going with the flow of the traffic?
Old 06-14-2010, 03:06 AM
travanx
Pro

I have Range Rovers trying to race my S2000 all the time now. I bet the Jeep thought he could beat the Viper. Typical American stupidity.
Old 06-14-2010, 12:26 PM
Bearclaw
Three Wheelin'

Location: Seattle xburb - I can't see the Emerald City, but I know it's out there somewhere
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

The story of getting cut off by a Jeep doesn't sound surprising. I don't know about the rest of you, but I find that the sight of a Porsche (or any "exotic" sports car) on the road causes some people to basically go crazy. They either try to race you, or take off, or start weaving through traffic, or try to run you off the road. A couple of times I've had pickup trucks or SUV's for absolutely no reason try to block me from merging onto the highway, or prevent me from changing lanes ("oh, he's signalling? speed up and cut him off!") This is such a regular occurrence that I've coined a psychological term for it: Porsche Derangement Syndrome.
Now I know I'm not the only one this happens to. I tell my buddies about this all the time, because it just amazes me. It's usually on the freeway, and it's not like they want to "race" you as much as, they just seem to want to buzz around you and get your attention. The latest was this weekend, a middle-aged guy with his wife in the car, in a new Acura sedan. Totally high-school, he'd run up on my bumper, blaze past me, cut in front of me and make me pass him, and do it all over again. Did this for miles. Happens all the time, just blows me away.
Old 06-14-2010, 01:10 PM
ironimages
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to see this..

+1 I just l let them go, too many innocent people on the roads to mess around. I will say for what ever reason, the motorcycle guy's seem to respect you, not sure why that is but I have gotten many friendly wave by's etc.. form these guy's, that never happens when I'm in my SUV??
Old 06-14-2010, 01:32 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Fiberglass doors?? Seriously? Is that how those things came from the factory??
Old 06-14-2010, 05:13 PM
bobesser
Pro

I thought PDS was Porsche Driveblock System - no wait, that is a derangement also.

Bob
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM
Reddy Kilowatt
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
Now I know I'm not the only one this happens to. I tell my buddies about this all the time, because it just amazes me. It's usually on the freeway, and it's not like they want to "race" you as much as, they just seem to want to buzz around you and get your attention. The latest was this weekend, a middle-aged guy with his wife in the car, in a new Acura sedan. Totally high-school, he'd run up on my bumper, blaze past me, cut in front of me and make me pass him, and do it all over again. Did this for miles. Happens all the time, just blows me away.
That's what the rocket launchers are for. Don't tell me your car doesn't have 'em.
Old 06-14-2010, 05:18 PM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by travanx
I have Range Rovers trying to race my S2000 all the time now. I bet the Jeep thought he could beat the Viper. Typical American stupidity.
F*ck you! I am an American and I can tell you that there is nothing 'Typical' about it. We lead the world in *all* things.

Seriously though, no point beating up on us 'muricans' There are plenty of dumb people all around the world. A friend of mine from Mexico once told me of an incident when his friend got a cigarette put out on his *** while they were driving in traffic. Of course, said friend did have his *** out the window pooping at the next driver. (yes, you read that right, he was pooping out the window at someone)

Bob
Old 06-14-2010, 05:20 PM
bobesser
Pro

Originally Posted by Bearclaw
All of your collective experience seems very weird to me. I notice bad drivers and bad behavior a lot more when I was driving my wife's Toyota Echo than when I drive my Porsche. I always figured that people had no respect for the Echo and kept their distance from my car. Of course, maybe I am enjoying the ride so much that I am oblivious to the bad behavior when I am in the Porsche.

Bob
Old 06-15-2010, 05:20 PM
TrackDays247.com
Former Vendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm surprised how many people haven't a clue as to any special-ness of a sweet car...most don't know and don't care.
Ah well, we aren't all enthusiasts....
Old 06-15-2010, 09:50 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

I am surprised at lack of air bag deployment. I looked at the photo's again and saw no sign of it. Granted it was not a head on hit but I would have thought the side bags would have deployed - perhaps they don't have them???
Old 06-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Warpig
Pro

Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
+1 Glad to know it is not just me. One thing I've noticed is that people insist on tail gating me way more when I'm in the Porsche than in our other cars. Its like, "I'll show him I can keep up with a Porsche!!" Well great buddy, did you notice I'm just going with the flow of the traffic?
I have noticed this too. I get tailgated frequently in the 993.
The driver of the car behind has no clue that he/she is in a car that has a 0.5% chance of out braking the 993 in an emergency situation. If I have to stop fast their insurance company will have to remind them after they smash into the expensive end of a P car and cause ~$15-20K in damage.

Nick

Quick Reply: Viper Crash And I Was There