Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

No engine tray, huh? Didn't work out so well for me.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,028 Likes on 616 Posts

I got one and had it put back on (car came sans tray). We're driving it to the Parade and didn't want to risk having road debris fly up and cause a problem. Don't race, don't autocross and rarely get stuck in traffic. Also don't do any of my own work. I had my '98 C2 5 years and never had a problem with overheating (including 2 DE events at Mid-Ohio on blisteringly hot days) and never even thought about removing the tray.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:11 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

But I have to ask the question; Why don't you just leave the engine tray in place?
Fair Q, but it is a can of worms. May I suggest we keep this thread on track and therefore, if you are to remove your engine tray, which most but not all people do once they read about it, what are the bits that need to be moved, and does anyone have a pic?
Old 06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by axl911
Wonder what is the purpose of the flapper box? To dump hot air out from the bottom when heat is not needed? If so, why? wouldn't you rather just block it off so the air being moved by the fan is used to cool the engine rather than just going to the heat exchanger and dumped out wastefully?

I took out the flapper boxes and replaced it with a section of the orange hose.
Because the heat exchanger acts like a jacket around the exhaust manifold. If you don't expel the hot air, the EGTs will go sky high and cause lots of expensive problems.
Old 06-15-2010, 05:42 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Seriously? we are discussing engine tray again?... Really?.... REALLY?
Old 06-15-2010, 06:06 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ZAMIRZ
Because the heat exchanger acts like a jacket around the exhaust manifold. If you don't expel the hot air, the EGTs will go sky high and cause lots of expensive problems.
Really? I thought that higher EGT is good in an exhaust system by maintaining exhaust gases velocity. That is why people sometimes wrap their header.

High EGT generated by the engine/cylinders themselves is bad since it indicate the engine is running too hot and/or detonation.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:08 PM
ZAMIRZ
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by axl911
Really? I thought that higher EGT is good in an exhaust system by maintaining exhaust gases velocity. That is why people sometimes wrap their header.

High EGT generated by the engine/cylinders themselves is bad since it indicate the engine is running too hot and/or detonation.
It's not my personal opinion, this is what I was told by a long-time Porsche independent tech. But, it makes sense to me. The cylinder head temps would probably be higher with no air flowing through the exchangers
Old 06-15-2010, 07:16 PM
NP993
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have two engine trays on my car.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:25 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by cabrio993
Seriously? we are discussing engine tray again?... Really?.... REALLY?
Take yours off, have the flapper boxes get destroyed and a few hundred bucks later, you'll wanna share it with the board. I've not heard many downsides to running without an engine tray, but this is definitely one.

That's why.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:00 PM
cabrio993
Race Car

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
Take yours off, have the flapper boxes get destroyed and a few hundred bucks later, you'll wanna share it with the board. I've not heard many downsides to running without an engine tray, but this is definitely one.

That's why.
Ok...if that's the case...I guess for a few hundred bucks we can dedicate 10 more pages to the infamous tray!
Old 06-15-2010, 08:12 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

That's why.
Was it the right side box???

Have you had an oil change recently?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:22 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Was it the right side box???

Have you had an oil change recently?
It was the right side box.

Hmm, maybe about 2000 miles ago. Is there some relevance to an oil change in all this?
Old 06-15-2010, 08:32 PM
rsr91128
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The right side box is removed during an oil change. The first time I changed mine I didn't really pay attention when I put the box back on. Once the car was back on the ground I noticed the flapper output was lower than the left. Jacked the car back up lossened the clamps and pushed the box further forward and it came up basically level with the heat exchanger.

Could be that on the last oil change it was reinstalled low and that's what caught it. Either way, lowered or not I think the boxes should be level with the exchangers. Takes a couple of minutes with a screwdriver to reposition them.

Sorry for the damages but maybe some other rennlisters will go out and find a low box and fix it because of your post, engine tray or not.

IMO that's what this place is all about. So thanks for sharing.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:52 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I remove my left, drivers side, box doing an oil change. Don't think I have to remove the right, just the hose going into it.
Old 06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by rsr91128
Sorry for the damages but maybe some other rennlisters will go out and find a low box and fix it because of your post, engine tray or not.

IMO that's what this place is all about. So thanks for sharing.
Exactly the reason why I started this post. Thanks for the info
Old 06-15-2010, 09:37 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Engine tray is for noise reduction to meet certain regulations. There is evidence it causes hot spots leading to premature valve guide failure. Race versions of the 993 have no undertray which is a hint.
I call B.S. on this - sorry.

Quick Reply: No engine tray, huh? Didn't work out so well for me.