993 Forum 1995-1998

Are the engine shrouds necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 09:46 PM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 64 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by race911
I guess I needed to use the "smiley thing" (which I NEVER use)............... But maybe I'm in a weird mood today as I went and looked at an '05 Boxster today. For mid-teens I'm figuring I can't go wrong for a beater/driver.
Words on pages leave a big void called; tone & inflection. Sometimes one can unintentionally offend somebody and those silly emoticons are useful to convey a friendly smile and make sure nobody's feathers get ruffled. To me, phone calls are FAR more useful, but I'm old,.....

About that cheap Boxster,...make sure you have an M96 IMS budget in hand, just in case.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:37 PM
Augustus Davies

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
Its difficult to properly express how important those components are in words. Body language, hand gestures, eye contact, vocal octave range changes and of course, correct profanity are all more effective methods of communication on critical issues that may have an negative impact on someones pocketbook.

Certainly. IMHO, they serve no purpose aside from reducing the drive-by noise signature of the car and thats why they were installed. Based on what I've observed, cars that retain these things suffer more oil leaks and higher levels of guide wear due to higher cylinder head temps. Its important to note that this doesn't always show on the oil temp guage.

Porsche got along very nicely without that undertray for many years ('65-'89) and many of those engines went well beyond 200K with good cooling. 964's and 993's have the capability to exhibit the same longevity as long as they run cool.

Hope that helped,
Can always count on Steve for first hand professional advice! Steve's the man!
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 AM
David Schiff
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boxter new in 04 was an S, nothing but trouble then catastrophic engine failure under warranty, be careful, but i dont know how to be careful. traded at 49 k for a Hyundai 4.6
david in napa

Quick Reply: Are the engine shrouds necessary?