Sponsored by:

Looking for 993 C2s or C4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 04:25 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,105 Likes on 1,814 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
I think it is great that you've owned "2 garage queens and 2 high mileage Porsches. And Sarah Palin's state bordered Russia. Doesn't make either of you experts, per se. To imply that one should consider "a low mileage car or a high mileage car and therefore not consider a "mid mileage" car is a valueless statement. There are so many variables to consider when purchasing one of these cars; the mileage is only one of them.
You're right, I'm no expert. I'm just a guy who's owned seven aircooled Porsches, four of which are 993s, not to mention the fact that I've been an active member of my local Porsche community and that I've been around this place for four years. Enough to know a thing or two and to make a helpful contribution to the OP in his inquiry I think. What is your expertise? Is it your four months and 200 posts here or the fact that you're trying to sell a 50k mi car?
Old 06-11-2010, 04:48 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
You're right, I'm no expert. I'm just a guy who's owned seven aircooled Porsches, four of which are 993s, not to mention the fact that I've been an active member of my local Porsche community and that I've been around this place for four years. Enough to know a thing or two and to make a helpful contribution to the OP in his inquiry I think. What is your expertise? Is it your four months and 200 posts here or the fact that you're trying to sell a 50k mi car?

I just hope he took better care of his car than he did with his temperament
Old 06-11-2010, 05:06 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Adams
I sold my 993tt years ago, have missed it since, but this time would go for non turbo.
A lot of people on here see the 993tt as the ultimate version to have. Curious why you prefer not to have one this time?
Old 06-11-2010, 06:23 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
You guys can hash this out amongst you, but I actually see AvidFan's point. Low mileage and doesn't yet need the occasionally costly replace/repair/upgrades OR higher mileage that has them (confirmed).

Yes, tons of variables, but I'm comfortable with what to ask to help in the decision. To me, this doesn't in any way rule out a 'mid mileage' superbly maintained car.

Originally Posted by 1pcarnut
A lot of people on here see the 993tt as the ultimate version to have. Curious why you prefer not to have one this time?
Good question. I have a couple other pretty fast cars, so I'm not seeking the ultimate in power and performance here. I'd be willing to trade a few tenths to 60 for a tiny bit more peace-of-mind, potentially translated as reliability.

I live in a small town, so the more exotic, the less serviceable. Just one of those things.
Old 06-12-2010, 12:10 PM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Having had a number of 993s, the low mileage cars don't make sense to me, too much depreciation off the bat if you will actually drive it, and those teething issues from lack of use can be problematic (been there, done that). The mid-mileage cars can be a bit scary, as well, particularly the 96-98 cars with the SAI issues (also been there, done that too). My exhaust guides were about shot at 58k miles on my 97 with the SAI codes, so I did the top end on it instead of messing around trying to clear the passages. I would be much more comfortable with a higher mileage car and the guides and passages properly addressed than a "hasn't thrown a code so far" example.

As far as repaints, the best I had was a 95 cab that had been completely reshot with conventional paint, it was much harder and less prone to chips. I liked that.

YMMV

Quick Reply: Looking for 993 C2s or C4s