Sponsored by:

Looking for 993 C2s or C4s

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 05:42 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts
Default Looking for 993 C2s or C4s

I posted in the 'wanteds' but in case that doesn't get frequented as much as this forum...

I'm in the hunt for a 993 's' car. I sold my 993tt years ago, have missed it since, but this time would go for non turbo.

I'm looking for a 'non' silver or black car, under 50k miles, no tiptronic.

If I can get picky, I'd prefer a dark blue or dark green with sport seats. Tan, black, or gray interior.

If you have or know of the car, I'd love to get a PM or you can email me directly at 'adams AT hudsonink DOT com' substituting the symbols for the words. Thanks so much.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:46 PM
keith
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Add 100K (mileage) to that and we can talk, lol.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:50 PM
daltvater
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Here is a nice one, not and S though
http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/cto/1784397778.html
Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Have a look in the 993 forum

Jay is selling his Blue low mile C2S. Beautiful car and a good price.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Adams
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Academictech
Jay is selling his Blue low mile C2S. Beautiful car and a good price.
Thanks! Is 'Jay' also 'Deadhead1960'? If so, saw it and it IS beautiful. Picky pursuit here, looking for tan, black, or gray interior. Thanks.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Rare to see an TT guy going NA. You're in a small club. Welcome.

I would suggest that you consider either a lower mile car or a higher mile car as 50k mi is getting close to the range when SAI and other $$$ maintenance items can surface. Also, there is a difference between a 2S and a 4S. To some it's a subtle difference but to others the difference can seem quite significant. It may be a good idea to think about your application and narrow it down to a 2S or 4S.

Enjoy the search.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:17 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
I would suggest that you consider either a lower mile car or a higher mile car as 50k mi is getting close to the range when SAI and other $$$ maintenance items can surface. Also, there is a difference between a 2S and a 4S. To some it's a subtle difference but to others the difference can seem quite significant. It may be a good idea to think about your application and narrow it down to a 2S or 4S. Enjoy the search.
I agree...big difference between rear wheel and all wheel drive cars. Also, production numbers of the C2S were about a third of the C4S and the 98's were the lowest volume of them all; hence the premium the market has put on the true "last year of the air cooled Porsches." However I don't agree with your comments about considering a low mileage or high mileage car, instead of a 50k car. The low mileage cars command a huge premium and if you're going to actually drive it, why pay the premium. Also cars that have sit for long periods of time generally need more maintenance than those that were driven about 4,000 miles per year. As for high mileage cars, they are fine as long as they have been properly serviced and "all the work" has been done to them. However over 100K miles, then you get into issues like valve guides and since an original car is better than a repaint, the high milers tend to look like...high milers, both inside and out.
Old 06-10-2010, 10:57 PM
doveq
Instructor

Hey Louis... this is what I'm going through... high mileage vs mid mileage car...
Old 06-11-2010, 12:17 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,011 Likes on 1,778 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhead1960
However I don't agree with your comments about considering a low mileage or high mileage car, instead of a 50k car. The low mileage cars command a huge premium and if you're going to actually drive it, why pay the premium. Also cars that have sit for long periods of time generally need more maintenance than those that were driven about 4,000 miles per year. As for high mileage cars, they are fine as long as they have been properly serviced and "all the work" has been done to them. However over 100K miles, then you get into issues like valve guides and since an original car is better than a repaint, the high milers tend to look like...high milers, both inside and out.
I'm not clear on where we are in disagreement. Buy a low mile car if you don't mind the premium and plan to drive it on weekends only (unless you can stomach the depreciation) or buy a higher mile car that has already had all the issues addressed (top-end included) if you plan to drive it. Buying a mid range mileage car (as in ~50k mi) is running the risk of facing issues (SAI) or costly maintenance items as the car reaches 60-80k mi. And I don't agree with your generalization that 100k cars look tired. I've seen plenty of them that look better than a "good condition" mid mileage car. For the record, I've owned two garage queens and two high mile cars so I'm speaking from experience.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:40 AM
jnicol
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adams
Thanks! Is 'Jay' also 'Deadhead1960'? If so, saw it and it IS beautiful. Picky pursuit here, looking for tan, black, or gray interior. Thanks.
I was doing the same thing... being picky.... and after two years I realized there are just too many potential options the original owner could have chosen to ever find my exact car. I widened my search and now have a car. I am not suggesting you settle, but be prepared to broaden your horizons if the right car (aside from one option or colour) comes along.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:51 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

From reading earlier this evening, Pano has two C2S's and two C4S's for sale this month. One of the S's is slate gray/black. Most are pricey. No affiliation with any of these cars. Simply saw them in pano.

Pretty sad. I basically sit around and read car stuff almost everynight after work. I'm really sick. Sorry to digress....

AHudson, if you don't get the Panorama mag, let me know. I can send you the info on any of these cars if you are interested.

chuck

Last edited by csertich; 06-11-2010 at 12:54 AM. Reason: screwed up
Old 06-11-2010, 10:09 AM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
Pretty sad. I basically sit around and read car stuff almost everynight after work. I'm really sick. Sorry to digress....
chuck
Chuck, we're all suffering from the same disease here. Unfortunately, they say this affliction stays with us until they lay us to rest permanently and there are no steps to recovery from this sickness. The good news according to my doctor is that the disease does not shorten your lifespan and actually may prolong it while giving you maximum enjoyment out of your remaining days. He suggested Rennlist as a support group. You're not alone brother.

Now onto the OP. There are some decent inventories of S cars at the higher end dealers (rpm, high marques, sloan) right now and it's a good time to be a buyer. If there is anything at sloancars.com that you like, let me know...I'll be happy to do the Rennfax for you.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:12 PM
deadhead1960
Banned

Originally Posted by Avid Fan
I'm not clear on where we are in disagreement.
I think it is great that you've owned "2 garage queens and 2 high mileage Porsches. And Sarah Palin's state bordered Russia. Doesn't make either of you experts, per se. To imply that one should consider "a low mileage car or a high mileage car and therefore not consider a "mid mileage" car is a valueless statement. There are so many variables to consider when purchasing one of these cars; the mileage is only one of them.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

an original car is better than a repaint, the high milers tend to look like...high milers, both inside and out.
..... a valueless statement.
Talk about a valueless statement my car is a full repaint and it is by far a better car in every respect than it was with its faded single stage paint. Buyers need to prioritize their needs and buy accordingly. Not instigating a fued here just showing opinions from all sides.

Mike
Old 06-11-2010, 02:35 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Arena993
Talk about a valueless statement my car is a full repaint and it is by far a better car in every respect than it was with its faded single stage paint. Buyers need to prioritize their needs and buy accordingly. Not instigating a fued here just showing opinions from all sides.

Mike
+1

As good as it is debating high mileage vs. low mileage, it's also good to have the ability to share differences of opinions without being snippy or sarcastic when it's not needed.

Quick Reply: Looking for 993 C2s or C4s