Sponsored by:

Carrera RS market value ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
RS man
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993
I spend a lot of time in Japan, bought my 993 RS there a few years ago, and the price seems low, especially given the exchange rate today. The market for cars like the RS is very efficient in Japan, they love Porsches and I am sure many Japanese have looked at this RS; I suggest making sure that you have been given full disclosure on any car issues.

At the same time, high mileage (and this would be considered high mileage in Japan) does in fact significantly affect price in that market.

And yes, many cars in Japan do not have the options list on the hood, I do not think it is a legal requirement in that jurisdiction.
What is the price in Japanese Yen for the car? What is the mileage? My concern is that it is going through an auction house ie perhaps not wanted by the dealers. The RS don't hang around too long when priced correctly in Japan in a dealer. Agree the RS in Japan does not have trunk stickers.
Old 06-10-2010, 09:51 PM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 1,051 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by Carlos993

At the same time, high mileage (and this would be considered high mileage in Japan) does in fact significantly affect price in that market.
I seem to recall something about cars reaching 100000KM in Japan and requiring, by law, lots of mechanical work/inspections or something similar. I find it funny that many cars coming from Japan to Canada have 9x,xxxKM on them. Can you shed some light on this? Sorry for the OT.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:27 AM
Carlos993
Rennlist Member

Received 403 Likes on 104 Posts

I don't know about the 1xx,000 km issue, but I was looking at a second RS last year with about 25,000 km, my dealer referred to it as "high mileage". Even worse with Ferraris - I sold my 575 a few years ago, at about 13,000 km, my dealer was worried about mileage significantly affecting price.

They do have a very tough inspection, I think every 2 years, perhaps more frequently for older cars, that costs about $1500 or so.
Old 06-11-2010, 12:48 PM
clubsport1
Burning Brakes

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The car does look good value at that level, surprising as these cars seem to be priced to a global market in recent years, so you rarely get cheap cars in any particular continent.
timothymoffat, if you look to the left of the steering wheel, you can see the electric window switch,, the manual winder would be positioned lower down if it had them amd there is nothing just vinyl where the leccy window switch sits on a manual wind car.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:05 PM
Talat
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RS man
What is the price in Japanese Yen for the car? What is the mileage? My concern is that it is going through an auction house ie perhaps not wanted by the dealers. The RS don't hang around too long when priced correctly in Japan in a dealer. Agree the RS in Japan does not have trunk stickers.
From what I've seen dealers buy stock from auctions too.

I've imported numerous cars from Japan in the past and I still get the weekly emails and so I've had a quick look at this car. Bidding starts at 8.45m Yen. Service record looks pretty comprehensive. The £/Yen rate is pretty poor at the moment, don't know how it looks for $/Yen - assuming it sells for 9m then for us in the UK you're looking at the think end of £90K to get it on the road (this is assuming you use the cheapest shipping option i.e. ro-ro). I'll let the experts decide whether this is a bargain but, from my experience of importing Jap cars, it should be in very good condition.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:01 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Its possible to get option list with VIN when one knows what to do. WP0ZZZ99ZTS390646 has these listed by Porsche:
M002 911 Carrera RS road version
M130 Control and indications in English lettering
M193 Version for Japan
M197 Stronger battery
M210 Number plate mounting, type II (reduced space with two rubber protection blocks)?
M220 Locking differential 40%
M224 Automatic limited slip differential
M240 Version for countries with inferior fuel?
M323 Sticker, without ESE-Regulations
M338 Rear wheel drive
M384 Bucket seat, left
M385 Bucket seat, right
M405 RS wheels, 18"
M434 Work instructions for cars overseas?
M451 Anti-theft device for wheels
M455 Reduced radio preparation
M471 Fixed spoiler with additional wing
M480 6-speed manual transmission
M492 Headlamps for left hand traffic
M544 Tank 75 litres
M562 Airbag, driver's side and front passenger's side
M566 Front fog lights, white
M573 Air conditioner
M651 Electric window opener
M657 Power assisted steering
M718 VIN change
M740 ?
M912 Vehicle without identification plate

Ones with ? can be something else also.

718 means car was done before normal model year production. Meaning it was done between January and July when usually previous model year cars are made. For some reason Porsche decided to use next model year VIN. Usually this trick to make car appear younger than it actually is was only used in US models in darkest days of recession in mid nineties. It seems that in case of 993 RS it was also used in ROW cars.

740 is some kind of show/press car preparation code in newer Porsches. In this case it can mean something different. Same codes are reused in later models for totally different purposes.

912 means there is no steel plate in body which tells some basic weight info etc. This is needed when importing Japanise cars to some EU countries for example.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:25 AM
the_rossatron
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is it odd that the car isn't RHD? It doesn't appear to have been specifically specced as LHD in that options list.
Old 06-16-2010, 10:31 AM
Vilhuer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rossatron
Is it odd that the car isn't RHD? It doesn't appear to have been specifically specced as LHD in that options list.
Traditionally most Japanise Porsches are LHD. Japanise have some fixation that German cars should be LHD versions as they are that in Germany also. There are two separate country codes for Japanise models.
C08 Japan (LHD)
C18 Japan (RHD)
This one has C08 listed.

Quick Reply: Carrera RS market value ???