Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

Ducktail install

Old 06-07-2010, 03:11 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ducktail install

Well, the install has started. Since we all like a story and pics, figured I'd post my progress. Removed the original one first without much difficulty and some help from the spousal unit. Next was setting new tail on the hinges and doing a trial fit. Had to duct tape the inside screw plate in place and ended up using the original spacers plus had to make some additional ones for the right side.

I'm getting some binding at the top edge (near the window) even after raising it up with the spacers. The instructions with the tail say to grind a 45 at this point but I'm trying a little gentle persuasion first. Prior to doing all this I have been setting the tail out in the sun to cure since it's still "green".

I'm going to have to find some old gas struts to use since the ones on there now are much stronger than needed. Just for curiosity I weighed the factory unit on the bathroom scale and it came in at 26 lbs. and the duck at 9 lbs. Quite a difference. In the last pic I've installed the latch, put in the rubber adjuster at the corners, and parked the car in the sun with a wedge to hopefully get it to come up a little, otherwise it will be grinder time.

Here are today's pics:
Attached Images       
Old 06-07-2010, 05:30 AM
GT9111
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looking good. Are you planning to add "Carrera" side graphics as well? I think graphics in silver would look nice.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Gaps look good from here
Old 06-07-2010, 10:12 AM
ABCar
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exciting project.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:42 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by GT9111
looking good. Are you planning to add "Carrera" side graphics as well? I think graphics in silver would look nice.
Yes, ordered them the week I got the car.

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S
Gaps look good from here
Thanks, overall I'm pleased with the constructions and fit.

Originally Posted by ABCar
Exciting project.
Been wanting to do this for several years.
Old 06-07-2010, 10:57 AM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

nice project, keep us posted. What is your ext paint color called? I rarely see this blue an I like it.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:28 PM
J.A.W.S.
Pro

^^^^^^
maybe his signature gives a hint...

nice project. i like
Old 06-07-2010, 12:33 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by tjangi
nice project, keep us posted. What is your ext paint color called? I rarely see this blue an I like it.
Thanks! It's Zenith Blue.
Old 06-07-2010, 12:43 PM
axl911
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My ducktail opens and closes just like the normal OEM deck llid. Pop it open and it pops open about 2 inches. You can then lift lit up and close it with very little effort. The secret......one dead and good deck lid strut.
Old 06-07-2010, 01:41 PM
FisterD
Rennlist Member

Received 43 Likes on 24 Posts

Looks good Roger!
I got mine put on using the factory shims, but may need to add a little more. I have the same issue (center near rear window is a little low.) I will try the wedge heat method to see if it can come up a little. Otherwise fitment is pretty nice for FRP fresh out of the box.
I have spoke with others in regards to the hood shocks. I am going to remove mine. The constant pressure from them pushing on the tail will cause warping issues with the heat and cold.
I am also adding GT3 TEK RS side skirts and factory front splitters.
Attached Images   
Old 06-07-2010, 02:08 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by FisterD
Looks good Roger!
I got mine put on using the factory shims, but may need to add a little more. I have the same issue (center near rear window is a little low.) I will try the wedge heat method to see if it can come up a little. Otherwise fitment is pretty nice for FRP fresh out of the box.
I have spoke with others in regards to the hood shocks. I am going to remove mine. The constant pressure from them pushing on the tail will cause warping issues with the heat and cold.
I am also adding GT3 TEK RS side skirts and factory front splitters.
Thanks Darin, you too my friend!

I'm going to park it in the sun for the next couple of days with the wedge, seems to have come up enough to clear but I expect it will settle a little. I will probably do as the instructions say, and remove a little from underneath since they apparently build up this area for just this reason.

I thought the fit was pretty good overall too. I'm going to go through some old boxes and see if I can find a couple of worn out struts with maybe just enough pressure to do the job, otherwise I can see warping would rear its ugly head down the road.

Opinion please: What do you guys think of painting the center console under the parking brake and the 2 pieces just in front of the shifter with the switches and warning lights? I've liked it when I've seen it on the 996s, on the fence with the 993.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Thatcher
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had the same problem with mine.. needed to grind down the top part of it. I actually need to take it off again and grind down even more.. I still have clearence issues.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:09 PM
ande5000
Rennlist Member

1pcarnut... who made your ducktail lid & and where did you purchase? Love the look, thinking about doing this w/ my '96 midnight blue coupe. Thanks.

Dave
Old 06-07-2010, 05:23 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by ande5000
1pcarnut... who made your ducktail lid & and where did you purchase? Love the look, thinking about doing this w/ my '96 midnight blue coupe. Thanks.

Dave
It's from Getty Design out of So Cal. Bought directly from them. It's not perfect but I didn't really expect it to be, I've got some trimming/fitting to do and there are some imperfections to smooth out, but thus far I'm pleased.
Old 06-07-2010, 05:42 PM
aclt993
Rennlist Member

Looks great , nice pics can't wait to see it finished and painted.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ducktail install