Sponsored by:

EP6110 Big ovals

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by clib
that picture says it all. I could live with the rolled tip but the whole shape is wrong - to squished top to bottom. Don't understand why that shape/style is so hard to replicate. may have to bite the bullet also. just expensive for what they are.

thanks

bill
fwiw, the OEM tips on my E63 are rolled and oval. But I don't think that they're awkwardly "squished" looking. Something about those Maxspeeds that are just the wrong shape/design, imho. They look cheesy.

Old 06-02-2010, 03:49 AM
911PERVY
Banned

Received 225 Likes on 184 Posts

it actually wasn't that early. I posted the same information in the 3rd response on this thread. but I realize we rarely read the preceding posts in a thread.....

It was early in the UK!!!

Just re-read the posts and i think I had all the information there, just not in the right order!!!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:26 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 303 Likes on 247 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Canyon56
fwiw, the OEM tips on my E63 are rolled and oval. But I don't think that they're awkwardly "squished" looking. Something about those Maxspeeds that are just the wrong shape/design, imho. They look cheesy.

^nice tips - I only have them on one side for now.. maybe one day I'll have them on both sides. ..like in a bs....
Old 06-03-2010, 05:58 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a great pic of mine, but these are cheapo ones I picked up from a fellow RLer and I think they look great.
Attached Images  
Old 06-03-2010, 10:30 PM
hn
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I bought NB tips from Maxspeed and had to return. They were nice enough to take them back. The tips were longer than oem and the openning was too small for the flange and pushed the tips further out.
Attached Images   
Old 06-03-2010, 11:24 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Darin to the rescue...he has agreed to "fab up" my big ovals for a very fair price.

Now if he would just get those damn noise makers welded up for me...
Old 06-04-2010, 12:52 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

Received 118 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
Darin to the rescue...he has agreed to "fab up" my big ovals for a very fair price.

Now if he would just get those damn noise makers welded up for me...
what does this mean? Darin is rescuing 'you' as a one-off, or darin is rescuing 'us' in that he'll then be able to sell the tips for WB as well?? Just curious before i blow a lot of $$ on OEM if no foreseeable future availability.

thanks
Old 06-07-2010, 03:21 PM
clib
Rennlist Member

As a followup and so its in the thread. I have a friend with exact same set up except the large OEM ovals. I had it in my head that perhaps they would contribute to sound differences, not just appearance given their different in shape/walls etc. I did a side by side comparison with his large ovals and my motorsound tips (swapped them both on my car). The difference is minimal, if any - short of a very close side by side you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference. Just an FYI. My bigger goal was more sound vs. appearance.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:38 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

So why do folks spend $600+ on them?...
Old 06-07-2010, 04:15 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
So why do folks spend $600+ on them?...
because they're pretty, DAMMIT!...and shinny too!
Old 06-07-2010, 05:22 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Talking

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
because they're pretty, DAMMIT!...and shinny too!
lol..I might put mine up for sale after I slap on my supercups...NOT!
Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

As a followup and so its in the thread. I have a friend with exact same set up except the large OEM ovals. I had it in my head that perhaps they would contribute to sound differences, not just appearance given their different in shape/walls etc. I did a side by side comparison with his large ovals and my motorsound tips (swapped them both on my car). The difference is minimal, if any - short of a very close side by side you'd be hard pressed to tell any difference. Just an FYI. My bigger goal was more sound vs. appearance.
I don't know how you can get a different sound from exhaust tips(?) I mean they're so short, how could the opening really change any sound quality?

With some Fisters and wide ovals you'll get sound and looks!

p.s., as far as the expense goes, peeps here spend big $$ on wheels and plastic wings and ducts and silver crests. None of which really add that much (if anything at all) to actual performance. All part of the fun.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:08 AM
clib
Rennlist Member

it just seemed strange to me. For instance the motorsound tips are only different in that they are chromed? that seems very odd to me. why not just call them chromed tips? And knowing how much car manufactures now put into the acoustics of the sound I figured it was worth testing. Look at how much changing the tip on a trumpet changes its sound. I think its unknown until you try. For instance the motorsound airbox cover in addition to a bit more air holes, also has a metal insert in it - probably not just for looks but guessing it adds a different element or tone to the interior sound. At any rate for me the tips appearance aren't worth the $600. (and not knocking those who it is worth it - I've wasted plenty on an RS style spoiler and kinesis supercups, so I understand that). maybe sport cats added to my rsr's? I can get some better sound and a bit of performance?
Old 06-08-2010, 01:30 AM
whatyoutalknaboutwillis
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got mine from a goup buy here a few years ago. Anyone remember the Chinese knock offs that someone set up? If I remember correctly, only the NB were available.
Old 06-08-2010, 02:40 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Previous owner had these fabbed up...I think I prefer big ovals.

Quick Reply: EP6110 Big ovals