Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

how to care for my new mistress/993

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010 | 11:57 PM
Priceless
Racer

Default how to care for my new mistress/993

best cleaners/wax for my black 1996 993 cab. what do you clean the top with or do you??? it looks new now. thanks...i noted older forums talking about multiple different waxes/polishes. anything specific for black? i have my other cars detailed but will probably want to baby this one
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:26 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

I cant speak to taking care of the top but I have had great success using Zymol HD Cleanse and Zymol Creme wax. I also polished the car with Griots "stages" of polish using the two finest grits after the HD cleanse. There are no swirl marks in the paint now and the wax seems to last forever.
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:45 AM
Priceless
Racer

thanks...
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:56 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

you'll find a lot of fans of Zaino Brothers products for waxes / polishes here. Aerospace 303 is a superb vinyl treatment and I also used their canvas protector on my cab top. the stuff is amazing!! it has really held up and water beads up on it like the rest of the painted surfaces. no affiliations - just my opinion.... enjoy your new ride
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:58 AM
Fünfer
Racer

303 for the top
Rejex to wax the whole car. This is great stuff.
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:59 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by stace
you'll find a lot of fans of Zaino Brothers products for waxes / polishes here. Aerospace 303 is a superb vinyl treatment and I also used their canvas protector on my cab top. the stuff is amazing!! it has really held up and water beads up on it like the rest of the painted surfaces. no affiliations - just my opinion.... enjoy your new ride
+ 1 for Zaino products for the exterior. Lexol for the leather and vinyl.
Old 05-28-2010 | 12:59 AM
BobbyT
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

I think any gentle car wash soap is okay for the top fabric. If you get bird droppings on it, you can brush them off before washing. For tree sap, you may want to use a special top cleaner, such as the one sold by Porsche. You can get it, and many other top quality car care products from Larry Reynolds at http://store.carcareonline.com/ That site also has many good articles on car care here: http://store.carcareonline.com/howto_articles.aspx

Don't get near the top with any towels. The top fabric is almost like velcro, and it grabs/holds every tiny bit of towel lint. I found the best thing to dry my top (when I had my Boxster) was a "synthetic chamois", such as sold by Griot's Garage. With it you can just blot off excess water quickly.

If you do get lint on the top, one of those lint brushes, with little directional "teeth" works well to get it off.
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:13 AM
Priceless
Racer

thanks...

-----------------

1996 993 cab black/black/cashmere
2006 Audi A4 3.2 Quattro
2008 Acura MDX AWD
Old 05-28-2010 | 01:34 AM
briefescape
Rennlist Member

the best cleaner and protector for the top is Ragg Topp
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpI4UtrABE8

Cheers Guy
Old 05-28-2010 | 07:29 AM
bart1
Race Car

Look for a website called autopia. They sell packages that include everything you need. I bought one that had Ultima brand "clay bar", polish, sealant, and the random orbital polisher made by Porter Cable. They also have a lot of how tos on the site. Very good to deal with and pretty good product.
Old 05-28-2010 | 07:34 AM
bart1
Race Car

Here's a link. Just email them and ask for recommendations for your color and what you are trying to do.

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/ultima.html

oh, BTW, I definitely agree on 303. I have been using it for years, from my Jeep days.
Old 05-28-2010 | 07:42 AM
cbush
Intermediate

I learned a lot about caring for my Porsche from the carcareonline.com how to articles. For my soft top, I used the Porsche soft top shampoo, and then once a year, their top protectant. I like one grand blitz paste wax, PS21 polish, and PS21 Auto wash (smells like green apples).

Chuck
Old 05-28-2010 | 08:31 AM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

My advice would be to check out the concours and car care forum:
https://rennlist.com/forums/concours-and-car-care-86/

Send a PM to Phil at Detailers Domain (RL sponsor and frequent contributor) and ask him to put together a basic car care kit. He is very helpful.
Old 05-28-2010 | 10:24 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Autopia is great. The thing about wax on a black car in a warm climate is in some cases the wax actually can melt off. I am a big Zaino fan. It is mail order only, but super easy to use once you sort through all the products, and it is a polymer that bonds to the surface. Yet it is removable with alcohol. It also has anti-static properties so helps with repelling dust or at least keeping it clean with a California Duster (also recommended, but only use it properly). For the top, I washed and sealed it with the Porsche products, but have also used Raggtop or whatever it is called.

Zaino and a random orbital polisher and you'll step back amazed with what you can do.
Old 05-28-2010 | 11:59 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Originally Posted by briefescape
the best cleaner and protector for the top is Ragg Topp
www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpI4UtrABE8

Cheers Guy
+1 on Raggtopp. I just cleaned and treated my top with this stuff. Now it is like the top is waxed. Water beads up. I also bought a horse hair brush to clean the top with, it works very well and is not too stiff.

For the body, I use Optimum products: Compound, Polish and Poli-seal. After that I use their spray wax to keep the finish topped off. I have had body shop and detail guys ask what I use, so it must be working pretty good. OH yeah, also a couple of concours trophies I got a Griot's random orbital polisher.

Have fun!!

Quick Reply: how to care for my new mistress/993