Sponsored by:

6 pt harness, DAS rollbar, and Sport Seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2010, 10:21 AM
verhag
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 6 pt harness, DAS rollbar, and Sport Seats

Just picked up a DAS rollbar. I need to add a 6 pt harness to comply with rules for an upcoming event. I absolutely want to retain my current sport seats (hardback). I do not want to give up these seats.

Can I do this...will the harness be functional without the "pass through" in the seats. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Denny
Old 05-25-2010, 11:20 AM
icelatte
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In a word, no.

I can't imagine your event would require a 6 point harness and not require an appropriate seat with shoulder pass-throughs and a sub belt hole for a 6pt.

You can keep the roll bar and use your sport seats with the stock 3pts but I'm afraid you'll have to go "full retard" and get appropriate seats for the 6pt. I'm certain the belt manufacturer would not endorse using their product without an appropriate seat.

I keep my stock seats in the basement. If you're more motivated than I am, you can always swap them out for events.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:05 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

You absolutely can't retain your seats and use a harness. Harnesses are not allowed with stock seats (Recaro GT3 etc. excluded) in PCA events. There is a whole science to strapping yourself properly in the car, positions, angles, etc. and the stock seats are not capable of providing the support.

Number one - you don't have the shoulder harness holes, number two - you don't have the sub-strap hole in the bottom of the seat. 4-point seat belts have been found to be unsafe. You will need to use 5 (or 6 if you want to protect the family jewels) point harness.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:43 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

They used to allow harnesses with stock seats, but i don't think you can nowadays. I wouldn't do it myself.
Old 05-25-2010, 01:52 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 875 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by verhag
Just picked up a DAS rollbar. I need to add a 6 pt harness to comply with rules for an upcoming event. I absolutely want to retain my current sport seats (hardback). I do not want to give up these seats.

Can I do this...will the harness be functional without the "pass through" in the seats. Suggestions?

Thank you,
Denny
keep your sport seats for street driving.
buy "race" seats for use with the DAS bar and harnesses.

No sanctioning body i know of will allow 5-6 point harness use with a seat that was not designed for sub belt use.

Craig

ps
you can look into F1 style thigh harnesses. Rumor mill a while back said this might work in place of a sub belt, but i think these thigh harnesses are designed for use with a recumbent style seat.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Floodj
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a good compromise seat? I like the leather and the look of my stock seats, and I like the access to the back. Both for my junk and for my kids. I have looked at the Recaro website, but I cannot seem to find a a seat that reclines, is leather, and has all the harness goodies. Finally, what do you do with your anti-sub strap once you go to street mode?
Old 05-25-2010, 04:52 PM
993inNC
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgfen
keep your sport seats for street driving.
buy "race" seats for use with the DAS bar and harnesses.

No sanctioning body i know of will allow 5-6 point harness use with a seat that was not designed for sub belt use.

Craig

ps
you can look into F1 style thigh harnesses. Rumor mill a while back said this might work in place of a sub belt, but i think these thigh harnesses are designed for use with a recumbent style seat.
and he needs to keep in mind that clubs now require the same seats and restraints for both driver and passengers to do DE's, can't just convert the driver's side
Old 05-25-2010, 04:53 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Floodj
Is there a good compromise seat?
No. You'll need a fixed-back seat. Or run 4-points (Blech!)

I have looked at the Recaro website, but I cannot seem to find a a seat that reclines, is leather, and has all the harness goodies.
I don't think that exists. They don't typically/ever have sub-strap holes.

Finally, what do you do with your anti-sub strap once you go to street mode?
I disconnect mine from the Schroth latch mechanism then push it back down thru the hole. Or I disconnect it underneath then pull the entire sub-strap up and out.
Old 05-25-2010, 04:55 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is there a good compromise seat? I like the leather and the look of my stock seats, and I like the access to the back. Both for my junk and for my kids. I have looked at the Recaro website, but I cannot seem to find a a seat that reclines, is leather, and has all the harness goodies. Finally, what do you do with your anti-sub strap once you go to street mode?
There are a few options:

Old 05-25-2010, 05:04 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bart1
There are a few options:
I don't think any of these have the sub-strap hole that he's looking for.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 562 Likes on 200 Posts

I know the Recaro SRD (first photo on Bart's post) has it. BUT, a couple of years ago the local chapters of PCA outlawed reclining seats, so I don't know if this is an option anymore.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:12 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

We made a driver remove his 6 pt belts and harness bar and use his 3 pt belts at our last local event due to stock seats.

And I wouldn't ever use a 6 pt belt system without the sub belt installed correctly since I don't want to have to drive my cars with hand controls after the first shunt without it.

ZP44
Old 05-26-2010, 12:21 AM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Too lazy to pull all the quotes in.

You used to be able to run the anti sub belt over the front. Then peeps saw crash dynamics vids and realized that was rubbish. So now you have to have the pass through.

The Recaro Sport Toplines technically do not have the sub mount, but there is a clear spot where you can dremel it out and the movable bolster allows access to it. Check out pics in my sig link.

You used to have to drill into the floor board on a 993 for the proper mounting points (look at HMS motorsports for the Schroth downloadable manual showing the angles and such). But I've heard now BK has an under the seat mounting bar that works for a 993.

I haven't heard or been subject to any restrictions from local clubs banning reclining seats for DE. There might be a restriction for Club Racing...but then you need a cage, etc., and there are more issues than mounting a harness.

The best option I've seen, but $$$ are is the new 997 tilting seats. Stunning. But something like $6k or so for the set.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:23 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not sure about a 6 point harness and interference with the seat frame, but here is a reclining Sparco that was modified for a 5 point. If the sub-belt mounting/routing will work, any good upholstery shop should be able to add the ports.
Attached Images  
Old 05-26-2010, 02:25 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great looking car rw229!

Quick Reply: 6 pt harness, DAS rollbar, and Sport Seats