Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bent alternator shaft - help needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2010, 11:21 PM
black ice
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, what everyone else says. If there was fan contact with the housing, you would have known. It's an unholy racket. Even with contact, the blades can get damaged but I've seen some housings with scars that aren't pretty but are certainly usable.

Also the fan will come off with some care, a slide hammer, and a puller.. It wasn't that big of a deal if I remember correctly.

dave
Old 05-19-2010, 07:23 AM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for all the advice. I have ordered a rebuilt alternator from Mark at FD Motorsports and have told my guys to just replace the alternator. I had a look and did not see any damage to the fan or housing and the mechanic's response was that sometimes, they both warp with age. Hmmmmm.....not really buying it.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:19 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by DBYT
I had a look and did not see any damage to the fan or housing and the mechanic's response was that sometimes, they both warp with age.
I think that qualifies as bone fide B.S.

The fan housing is very stout and should have no reason to deform during normal usage. I presume one could tweak it by tightening the housing strap too much.

The fan has its own issues (cracking, splitting, corroding), but warping alone is not one of them.

Hopefully the FD chimps get the alternator in your hands soon so you can get back on the road.

Andreas
Old 05-19-2010, 12:20 PM
Davies
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Agreed^

it's mechanics that sometimes warp with age.
Old 06-02-2010, 12:03 PM
DBYT
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wanted to thank everyone here for the very helpful input on this issue. I got the car back today and all it needed was a US$200 reconditioned alternator. No fan replacement and no housing replacement. What the mechanic initially quoted as a US$3,000 repair came up to US$300. Rennlist comes to the rescue once again.

Quick Reply: Bent alternator shaft - help needed