Sponsored by:

Another senseless case of vandalism

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 12:10 AM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Another senseless case of vandalism

Woke up to a beautiful saturday morning, had some brekki, read a little news, then decided it would be a great day to take a spin along PCH through Malibu.

Walked down to the shared parking garage to find my car cover half pulled up and some strange looking black piece sitting on the roof that I didn't fully recognize until I walked closer. Then as a drew closer I noticed the missing driver's side rear view mirror. The car that parked next to me that I saw last night was still there a full 4 feet away (I use a corner spot to avoid unwanted door dings) like the rest of you.

So my mind starts working....did someone hit my car and knock the mirror off? No. Did the mount somehow fail on its own and someone noticed so they put the mirror on my roof? No. The mount was twisted as if someone had folded the mirror forward, and it was jammed pretty tight. Plus the electrical connector was disconnected and that wouldn't have happened if the mount had just failed. Would have been hanging in the mirror sleeve of the car cover.

No, the mirror had suffered a quick impact towards the front of the car and had been severe enough to break the hook like mounting piece in half surely sending the mirror flying forward. But for some reason the mirror had virtually no damage. Didn't appear to have flown across the garage. I guess what happened is the perpetrator kicked the mirror and when it just stayed in the sleeve of the car cover he decided to remove it, disconnecting the electrics and setting it on top of my car to showcase his handywork.

I reconnected the electric connector and all seems to be functioning properly. Just a minor bit of filing of the scarred mount prongs where the metal to metal stress of the impact caused some deformities and a replacement hook thingy and I just may have gotten away pretty lucky with about a $5 repair. We'll see.

Called the police to file a report and check out the finger prints on the window near the mirror (guess whos? yup, mine) Apparently there have been several similar cases the past few nights. Man I'd love to get my hands on that son of a bitch! Deputy that came by is just chopin' at the bit to find him too. I sure hope he does. In the meantime I'll be cruisin' around here late tonight to see if that punk is still around!
Old 05-16-2010, 12:18 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 688 Likes on 478 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
Man I'd love to get my hands on that son of a bitch!
Now there is a job I'd like when I retire and I'd do it for free.

Set up a "bait car" and sit up in a window above with a rifle and scope. You lose more vandals that way.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:40 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

cctv, like in Britain - where your every move is recorded.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:44 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that you were the victim of some a$$hole. Glad the damage was minimal.

chuck
Old 05-16-2010, 09:04 AM
AOW162435
Seared
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 233 Posts

I'd spend the next few nights in the car, under the car cover (with the window cracked for ventilation of course).

Armed.

Andreas
Old 05-16-2010, 12:33 PM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Leander
cctv, like in Britain - where your every move is recorded.
CCTV here in Britain is just for prosecuting the inocent public for parking in "not a good spot".
My previous car was damaged by another vehicle. CCTV camera facing my car but to no avail in my continuous atempts to talk to someone at the monitoring station.

Last edited by Bouzoukikid; 05-17-2010 at 04:29 AM.
Old 05-16-2010, 01:58 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As we've said before, many people think that these are still $70K cars. Like it or not, that generates a huge amount of jealousy in some people. Vandalism is manifestation of a control issue...a way to tell us that we're not so special.

Last edited by dcdude; 05-17-2010 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Ocean Blue C2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So sorry to hear that, to me vandalism in one of the worst... I had by Audi keys in two places, yet parked in a walled Scottsdale condo area!

I hope you're able to catch the bastard!

Bert
Old 05-16-2010, 03:01 PM
EckFe1
Pro

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

One day my convertible super beetle got stolen. I filed a report and the car was found 4 days later. As I sat at the police station, I found out that they caught the thief too. Everytime the officer looked away, I scanned for the name and address in the report. I found out who it was and staked out the place of the guys home a couple nights later. I waited for him to come home all night but he never showed. It was actually in my neighborhood. I found out later that he ran away from home. If he would have come home that night, I most likely wouldn't be able to post this answer because I'd be in jail. Back then I knew for sure he wouldn't go home for what he had done. There isn't the perfect crime I guess.
I ask myself this question all the time. What do you do when you catch'em? They know where you live, what you do, etc. There is only one way to deal with them! None of the smileys will fit!!
Old 05-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Smoke
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EckFe1
What do you do when you catch'em?
When the village police somewhere in Cornwall, recovered my friend’s beloved MG, the constable offered him some PERSONAL TIME with the thief. This was several years ago, long before CCTV’s time.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:29 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

I once caught someone who had stolen some things from a car of mine in college. He got a nice right hander to the chops in front of his girlfriend.

I'm pretty sure its kids that live in the complex. The last time I had found my personal belongings in the thief's car so I knew who it was. This time I have no way of knowing.

I've had other damage done to my truck but not while living here and its the first time someone has messed with the 993. I like the idea of spending the night in the car armed but I doubt he'll hit the same car twice. There are many other nice cars in this complex. Plenty of BMWs, Lexus, and Mercedes to choose from. I think mine is the only car that sits under a cover most of the time since I rarely use it during the week.

Perhaps a large enough cash reward for identification, arrest, and conviction that one of his friends gives him up for the cash? The cash would never come of course because it would never get to the arrest or conviction steps of the sequence..if you catch my drift....

<----thats what the car used to look like with a driver's side rearview mirror attached....that little ****!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
Bradford
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

WOW, sorry to hear that. Did it happen in Westlake?
Old 05-16-2010, 09:33 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Scott. After my condo was sold I grabbed a temp place while I search for another. I'm actually in Agoura Hills on Agoura Rd nearby the Westlake Library. Btw still haven't seen that silver beauty of yours on the road around town. You ever drive that thing?
Old 05-16-2010, 10:58 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by 2ndof2
I'm actually in Agoura Hills
Oh.... Agoura Hills.... That explains it.... Is this your place?

Old 05-16-2010, 11:12 PM
2ndof2
Three Wheelin'

Yes, thats the one...just got DirecTV too by the looks of it!

Quick Reply: Another senseless case of vandalism