993 Forum 1995-1998

New Porsche owner - '95 GPW w/mods incl Speedster seats

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2010, 01:02 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default New Porsche owner - '95 GPW w/mods incl Speedster seats

Well after almost a year searching for the right car, several disappointments and a near miss, I feel the wait has been well worth it. After owning a BMW M3 with ZCP options and SMG for 12 months, I was ready for something new. The M3 and I never really gelled, especially with that transmission. I'm 5'6" and 160lbs and the car felt too big. I don't like 2 seaters or soft tops so cars like the Honda S2000 were off the list. I've always liked Porsches and its hard not to fall for those curves. Its a classic shape and immediately recognizable. I thought about a 964, but the 993 seemed like the perfect blend of old and new. The fact its the last of the aircooled engined 911's just made it that little more special. I was sold on its diminuitive size and great ergonomics. I test drove a Cayman and a 997, and whilst great cars, just didn't feel the same connection I experienced in the three 993's I'd driven. The smell, the sound and its simplicity are something else.....
So the search started in earnest for my 993. I didn't want AWD (unless married to a TT) and the WB to my eye isn't as well balanced visually as the NB. I wanted to find the best example possible and almost got a 15K mile '97, but the Gemballa bodykit killed it for me. It had my preferred color combo ie Arctic Silver ext and Classic Grey int, with PSS9's. I was hoping to find a car that didn't have too many mods and if it did have upgrades, that they didn;t detract from the factory 993 design concept. Basically they had to improve on 'perfection'. To me this meant suspension work and exhaust. Sport seats were also a must given my small frame. Nothing worse than being in a sporty car and sliding from side to side when taking corners.
So I finally found THE car on RL, which had everything I wanted. Every mod has been installed to improve handling and aural performance.

Top of the list are the amazing Speedster seats. There's a reason why these attracted so much attention and discussion on the FS thread. It seemed everyone had forgotten to pay attention to the car they were installed in. To me these are the best seats I've been fortunate to sit in. I drove for 9 hours straight, just stopping once for gas, without a single ache or cramp.

Other mods completed:
Carneval Bilstein HD suspension/M033 springs
RS brace
HR wheel spacers front and rear
Motorsound airbox/RSR mufflers (nice rumble at low speed, but unintrusive at higher speeds)

I was also offered and purchased the PO's OEM Full RS Aero Kit, of which I was told there were only 2 available in the world. Haven't decided yet whether this will get installed.

I have HID's on order from Carneval with 5000K Xenon bulbs and LED's for the foglights to match the color. These are such cheap upgrades they're obligatory.

Having driven the car for quite a few miles I've already started to make a mental list of the mods I'd like to do. First and foremost is a shortshifter. The throw into 1st, 3rd and 5th is a tad too long for my reach. I could also do with the stick being slightly higher due to the high bolster on the seat. I've read the RS short shift kit would address both these aspects. Is it worth installing a FD Golden Rod at the same time?
Visually I'd like 18" rims, in a black or grey shade. The white wheels haven't grown on me, sorry Mark.
A Dach X-pipe is also on my wish list, together with a Steve Weiner chip.

So I'd just like to end this official introduction by offering my special thanks to several people on this site who have guided me towards my new love affair and to everyone else who through their contributions have enlightened me on so many aspects of 993 ownership. I look forward to making many friends on this board as well as local DFW Porsche enthusiasts.

Here are a few shots of the car as I left Colorado Springs.
Attached Images     

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 05-15-2010 at 10:55 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 AM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car. Wheels look great. Congratulations!

chuck
Old 05-15-2010, 01:08 AM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

This sign made me smile....watch out for Rattlesnakes... and Cops
Attached Images  

Last edited by CorrdoBrit; 05-15-2010 at 02:01 AM.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:35 AM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks great, bugs and all!!! Did you wash it as soon as you got home?

-Doug

(let the excuses to drive it start. "no problem honey, I'll go pick up some dental floss for you." Upon return: "Oh no, I forgot the Visine, I'll be right back.")
Old 05-15-2010, 02:23 AM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Looks really sharp, the GPW is beautiful in motion. Congratulations, bet you've been going out to the garage every few minutes.
Old 05-15-2010, 02:31 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Love this car. I would consider RS Speedlines with the center section painted white
Old 05-15-2010, 02:37 AM
gonzilla
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 64 Posts

Congrats!!! Great car. I'm glad it stayed in the RL family.
Old 05-15-2010, 03:45 AM
digger
Instructor

Congratulations, just love the 993 in GPW it looks superb well done
Old 05-15-2010, 03:57 AM
timothymoffat
Rennlist Member

Received 981 Likes on 434 Posts

Loved the car in the FS thread, love the car now. Speedlines on this car would be perfect (leave the RS Aerokit in the boxes). BTW, MORE PICS!!!!!
Old 05-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Axeman
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

Beautiful car congrats!! And +1 on the RS Speedlines
Old 05-15-2010, 07:47 AM
parsonii
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

loooooooove looooooooove white in a 993. post pics of the inside if you don't mind. cargraphic racing wheels i think would look great ..... if you're daring with the centers gold. so many choices of wheels would look great on that car.
Old 05-15-2010, 09:30 AM
RDS928S
Rennlist Member

Received 678 Likes on 307 Posts

Your a lucky man. Cant wait to see the dark gray wheels & RS kit!
Old 05-15-2010, 10:19 AM
BufordTJ
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Great looking car with very tasteful mods. I too am 5'6" 170lbs and totally agree with the seats. I need those in a bad way as well as the RS shifter!
Congrats!
Join us at Porsche Palooza in the Arkansas mountains this fall. There are a great group of DFW guys who make the drive up.

http://www.pca-palooza.com/
Old 05-15-2010, 11:12 AM
Cactus
Noodle Jr.
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 133 Posts

Congrats! Nice car and love the seats.
Old 05-15-2010, 11:45 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ah, so this is the one you snagged. very nice!

Enjoy!

Quick Reply: New Porsche owner - '95 GPW w/mods incl Speedster seats