Sponsored by:

OT: Porsche Bike on craigslist

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2010, 01:22 AM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
It's a URT-unified rear triangle single pivot bike...that is mid ninties technology at it's finest. Any URT bike I ever rode-Schwin Homegrown, Trek Y bike-had huge amounts of pedal induced motion. Maybe a modern rear shock with platform dampening could better control that motion now, but the eye to eye and stroke could be very unique.

I have seen these bikes with Shimano stuff, but the vast majority had a part spec that I had never heard of-not Campy, not Shimano, not Sram, etc...

This bike also weighed a ton if I remember correctly.

This isn't a bike you ride, at least seriously off road, it's a bike to collect. The asking price is probably reasonable, I think these were twice that at least at the time.
if i recall correctly, Sachs Quarz was somewhere between xt and xtr in the day.

i do know their road levers were manufactured by Campagnolo (but with different indexing) and their chains were excellent (i still have one)

i dont know how it went down, but sram actually bought out sachs and still uses some of their designs (ie chains)

i do whole heartedly agree with you though. (i ride a 26in hardtail )
Old 05-14-2010, 01:33 AM
NN3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the advise and info. I think I will pass it.
Old 05-14-2010, 04:02 AM
Full Boost
Why do I feel so left out!
Rennlist Member

Received 427 Likes on 204 Posts

Not to rain on the parade here.....

But I had a NEVER ridden Porsche bike.

Road not mountain - and it had all the good gear - From Dura-Ace to Mavic to Cane Creek.

It was too small for me - and i just LOVED the look of it in my Garage between the Cayenne and the Turbo.

Cant comment on the ride.... - but What a show piece and it was over $10K here new.... (no i didnt pay that....)

Pics for those interested.....
Attached Images     
Old 05-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Fullboost, your post gave me an idea, I should roll a small Porsche shield and put it on my Tommasini.
Old 05-16-2010, 10:27 PM
thirdgenbird
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tonydec
Fullboost, your post gave me an idea, I should roll a small Porsche shield and put it on my Tommasini.
i love porsche and i love tommasini but thats a horrible idea. tommasinis are an italian work of art. there is no reason to artificially dress it up.

which one do you have anyway? you cant say that name and NOT post a pic.

here is my latest build. i built it as a tribute to my childhood cycling heros. my dad (frame) and Jan Ulrich (cranks and custom levers)

the frame was my dad's first "real" frame. its nothing special, but quite rare. i dressed it up with mostly italian parts, save the american thomson post, chris king headset, and french look pedals.

it may look like record 8spd, but i rebuild the shift levers with record carbon 10spd internals (i wanted a vintage bike with modern shifting)

deda stem hand polished by yours truly

monoplanar brakes for a classy touch (they dont make parts this pretty anymore)

Old 05-16-2010, 10:44 PM
Tonydec
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 105 Likes on 76 Posts

Nice. I should polish my Super Record gruppo. My frame is the "Racing," Pearl White with blue fade. I have also been thinking about swapping to modern deraillers.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:54 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It does weigh a ton at 29 pounds.
29lbs, the bike is a pig!

My full-suspension GT LTS-1 from circa 1996 weighs 24 lbs. Cost $3500 at the time.

Now we won't talk about how much heavier I am now!

Quick Reply: OT: Porsche Bike on craigslist