RS/Evo Uprights, Tie Rods and Bushing replacement with Updates

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2011, 01:28 AM
fast_freddy
Rennlist Member

Received 789 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by smead42
FF,

Did you have any problem breaking the ball joints loose... just an old American crow-foot or the "special" Porsche tool.
Did you see a lot of difference in the ball links that are out there: Tarrett , ERP, SmartRacing, etc.
Any seals on the ends?
Also, on the ends of the links there appears to be a bushing on one end and a bolt/bushing on the other. You just pressed-in a bushing and used a nut and bolt to attach on this end?

Thanks again,
SM
No problem breaking the ball joints loose at all. If memory serves I used a combination of crows feet and a big effin lever depending on access. As it relates to selection of the the tie rods it boiled down to availability. Stable Energies in NJ had the ERP ones in stock which were also the type I wanted. I made no modifications to the tie rods which are identical to the ones in the link.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:40 AM
Ed Hughes
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fast_freddy

I'd like to reiterate I bought the bushings through Elephant Racing directly, not ERP which is a different company.
I'm glad you finally clarified that. As I read the earlier posts calling Elephant Racing ERP, I was going to clarify. ERP is the initials of Eisenlohr Racing Products, who also make suspension components.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:10 PM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to install solid side bushings with a tilt kit for a mostly driven street car, right? Just the standard solid side kit with equal length bolts should suffice?

TIA
Old 02-07-2012, 02:17 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 536 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by David in LA
no need to install solid side bushings with a tilt kit for a mostly driven street car, right? Just the standard solid side kit with equal length bolts should suffice?

TIA
Most of us use the flat solid sides, not the tilt kit. tt's might want the tilt kit but it complicates the installation wrt the forward cross bar for little to no benefit for the rest of us.

Rennline seems to have the best kit, they supply the bolts and washers, which are missing from the ERP kit.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:37 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
Most of us use the flat solid sides, not the tilt kit. tt's might want the tilt kit but it complicates the installation wrt the forward cross bar for little to no benefit for the rest of us.

Rennline seems to have the best kit, they supply the bolts and washers, which are missing from the ERP kit.
Hi Bill - Thanks for the input. Just to make sure I understand, the tilt kit helps prevent "squatting" on acceleration right, so is more an issue for Turbos? Does the forward cross bar on my turbo have to be modified if I were to use the tilt kit (frankly right now thinking that the flat solid sides should be sufficient).

Thanks!
Old 02-08-2012, 09:41 AM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by David in LA
Hi Bill - Thanks for the input. Just to make sure I understand, the tilt kit helps prevent "squatting" on acceleration right, so is more an issue for Turbos? Does the forward cross bar on my turbo have to be modified if I were to use the tilt kit (frankly right now thinking that the flat solid sides should be sufficient).

Thanks!
yes, the tilt adds antisquat, and yes the front cross piece mount need to be altered

this connection(lower right corner) needs to be altered when the tilt kit is used as the leadin end is dropped
Old 02-08-2012, 01:08 PM
ToSi
Burning Brakes

Received 83 Likes on 52 Posts

Re: anti-squat effect. I'm not a chassis engineer but read a book or two on the topic... Lowering the front of the subframe must reduce the % anti-squat. This is due to the effect on instant center locations. I assume someone mentioned anti's a long time ago & folks assumed it meant an increase.

A base 993 has 90%+ a/s, really high vs accepted norms (again, not a pro but read online & print). I suspect the effect was reduced in the evo to improve feel & traction at super low ride height & stiff setups.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:11 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Bill,

When you install the solid mounts (not the tilt kit), it can be done just on jack stands by taking the bolts off and lowering the subframe, correct?

I'm just about to "plunge in" into my suspension "refreshening" (all monoball links & solid mounts rear and monoball a-arms front) and want to be sure.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:33 PM
Bill Verburg
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Hey Bill,

When you install the solid mounts (not the tilt kit), it can be done just on jack stands by taking the bolts off and lowering the subframe, correct?

I'm just about to "plunge in" into my suspension "refreshening" (all monoball links & solid mounts rear and monoball a-arms front) and want to be sure.
correct
Old 02-08-2012, 04:18 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Bill Verburg
correct
Thanks Bill.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Hey Bill,

You'll need a BFH or in my case an air chisel.
Old 02-08-2012, 05:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Paddy
You'll need a BFH or in my case an air chisel.
I do have a BFH and also HFH but air chisel might be a gentler approach...

That's to separate the subframe from the body?
Old 02-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Paddy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Not to separate the subframe, but to get the old bushings out from their housings. I spent 30-45 min on one w/ the BFH then decided to go buy a air chisel.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:12 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

....I'm just about to "plunge in" into my suspension "refreshening" (all monoball links & solid mounts rear and monoball a-arms front) and want to be sure.
Are you using all Rennline parts or ??
Old 09-18-2012, 06:05 AM
peter y.s pang
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just want to know, what tools can take out the lower part of rubber from subframe mount without take out whole subframe from car.

Quick Reply: RS/Evo Uprights, Tie Rods and Bushing replacement with Updates