Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 05:34 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
They're all here!

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211-e55-amg-e63-amg/

I've just spent 2 hours looking at every post going back a few months regarding the E55's vs E63's. Fascinating reading for my own interest and I'm sure you'll find what you need, here too.
fwiw, Benzworld is considered the tame version of this: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/merced...g-vehicles-44/

An example: http://www.mbworld.org/forums/clk63-...d-gt2-tms.html
Old 05-12-2010, 10:38 PM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well I will speak up because I just got a 2010 S4. I will agree these cars are not in the same class as the MB's you are considering both from a speed and cost perspective therefore I wont say one is better than the other because its 100% situational. I looked into the C63 but, the 10k+ difference for a new one was too much especially given the fact I have had 5 DD's in as many years, again my situation.

I love the S4, its auto and like one poster said it is much different than the 993 so, it offers a good balance of comfort for daily commuting and a good punch and handling when wanted. It is also surprisingly fast and I personally love the stronic under strong acceleration, good solid shifts while being docile when needed. I will admit, coming from a slush box its not the same but IMO its way better than the BMW SMG. With all this said, its no where near as fast as the MB. I dont think the interior is cheap at all, I think it strong to quite strong, and I love the alcentera seats. i have also had a lot of comments in less than 1 month on how nice it is, I had exactly 0 comments on the interior's of the LS460 and GS460 I had for the last couple years.

at the end of the day you are going to get an awesome car, choose what you like the most and most importantly enjoy!
Old 05-13-2010, 12:42 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cohare
Well I will speak up because I just got a 2010 S4. I will agree these cars are not in the same class as the MB's you are considering both from a speed and cost perspective therefore I wont say one is better than the other because its 100% situational. I looked into the C63 but, the 10k+ difference for a new one was too much especially given the fact I have had 5 DD's in as many years, again my situation.

I love the S4, its auto and like one poster said it is much different than the 993 so, it offers a good balance of comfort for daily commuting and a good punch and handling when wanted. It is also surprisingly fast and I personally love the stronic under strong acceleration, good solid shifts while being docile when needed. I will admit, coming from a slush box its not the same but IMO its way better than the BMW SMG. With all this said, its no where near as fast as the MB. I dont think the interior is cheap at all, I think it strong to quite strong, and I love the alcentera seats. i have also had a lot of comments in less than 1 month on how nice it is, I had exactly 0 comments on the interior's of the LS460 and GS460 I had for the last couple years.

at the end of the day you are going to get an awesome car, choose what you like the most and most importantly enjoy!
Congrats on your new S4

I hear the dual clutch S Tronic is pretty nice. More like the BMW DCT. The SMG is gone forever now, thank you BMW.

But I'm curious if you got Drive Select? Any comments? Again, just from what I hear, it allows for the car to feel less AWD and heavy (like the old quattros tended to feel.)

You're right about comparisons and that was my opinion from the beginning.

I'd argue it's more like this:
1) M3, C63 and RS
2) 335i and S4 (no real MB equivalent)
3) M5 and E63 (no real Audi equivalent; maybe S6 but not really)
Old 05-13-2010, 09:45 AM
cohare
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Congrats on your new S4

I hear the dual clutch S Tronic is pretty nice. More like the BMW DCT. The SMG is gone forever now, thank you BMW.

But I'm curious if you got Drive Select? Any comments? Again, just from what I hear, it allows for the car to feel less AWD and heavy (like the old quattros tended to feel.)

You're right about comparisons and that was my opinion from the beginning.

1) M3, C63 and RS
Thanks!

I havent driven that DCT but, i did drive the SMG on an M5 a couple years ago and I was not impressed. Hopefully the DCT is better.

I did get the rear dif but, not the adjustable suspension. It does make it feel much more balanced than other Audi's I have driven. I am still exploring the limits with it but, I have found when its starts to understeer you hit the gas and the back end starts to come around and help the turn. (I am not doing a very good job of describing this..). In short yeah it does feel more like a RWD, its not just a gimick. I also find that the adjustable steering makes it feel less heavy in parking lots etc.. So it decreases the understear (not quite to the degree of a RWD) but, still has AWD grip coming out of corners and with the diff you feel much more confident to put that power down sooner.

I would agree the 335 is a good comparison. Personally I see about 100 3 series everyday and very few S4's, I also like how the S4 looks different than the A4 with out being too agressive and the interior is much different, where the 335 looks pretty much the same as the 328 inside and out (independent of options). I think if audi comes out with a new RS4 it might be able to compete with the new models from M and AMG but, IMO its a little too slow to be a real threat to those guys..
Old 05-13-2010, 11:54 AM
LimeyBoy
Rennlist Member

Received 211 Likes on 126 Posts

I agree that this is not an apples to apples comparison and in all honesty I reckon the OP would enjoy all three choice but each for different reasons. Just one more comment defending the S4 interior - I have never had so many complimentary remarks on a car interior and most passengers cannot believe it has done 111,000 miles. Neither can I sometimes. Rock solid.

You have to drive all three choices, one will grab your attention more than the others for some reason. Then do the internet research on 'common' issues for those cars so you are armed for any viewing/test drive/negotiations.
Old 05-13-2010, 11:59 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

1) M3, C63 and RS
Well said!
Old 05-13-2010, 01:22 PM
Greg964
Pro

Originally Posted by shadow993
Look at the resale of a S4 vs a e55 or e63
I just did and neither are great;

2005 audi S4 dealer retail per edmunds.com $21227
2005 E55 dealer retail per edmunds.com $31349

These prices are both appx 40% of orginal MSRP, so what is your point?
Old 05-13-2010, 02:06 PM
porscheralph
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi - I have had an E55 (2004) for the past 4 years - as a daily driver I guess you call it, but I drive all my cars (see my signature) most of the time. Exception is the dead of winter with snow on the ground etc. I put snow tires on the E55 (and the 97 993) in late November and remove them in late March. The 55 is modified with Kleeman parts (headers, ECU, pulley, LSD and larger throttle body) and put out about 600 hp/590 ft-lbs. It is a blast to drive, very comfortable, has never let me down, gets 22 MPG on the highway at 70 mph, has all the goodies one could want and I absolutely love the car. I have many choices when I go for a long distance drive and I usually choose the 55. I have not driven the Audi - just have never been attracted to them.
So, bottom line I like the 55 a lot, I love driving my Porsche's too - nice weather around town - I use the cab's - bad weather, in DC - I use the 55. Just my 2 cents. Mostly I just love cars.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:14 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

they might want to look into a CLS 63 if they are worried that some folks might think they're driving a "stodgy old man's car." Yikes, it really sounds like there are too many people going through their midlife crisis here on RL.
Yeah, that was me who said the E63 looks like a stodgy old man's car.

I hope my opinion, which is all it is, didn't offend.

As I said, I love the 6.3 mill, but I've always thought that the E series was a too "old man" looking. Nothing old man about the performance, though.

And I agree with you here. Put that 6.3 in a sexy body like the CLS63 or a CL63, and I think you've got a great performing, and great looking, ride.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:41 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by porscheralph
Hi - I have had an E55 (2004) for the past 4 years - as a daily driver I guess you call it, but I drive all my cars (see my signature) most of the time. Exception is the dead of winter with snow on the ground etc. I put snow tires on the E55 (and the 97 993) in late November and remove them in late March. The 55 is modified with Kleeman parts (headers, ECU, pulley, LSD and larger throttle body) and put out about 600 hp/590 ft-lbs. It is a blast to drive, very comfortable, has never let me down, gets 22 MPG on the highway at 70 mph, has all the goodies one could want and I absolutely love the car. I have many choices when I go for a long distance drive and I usually choose the 55. I have not driven the Audi - just have never been attracted to them.
So, bottom line I like the 55 a lot, I love driving my Porsche's too - nice weather around town - I use the cab's - bad weather, in DC - I use the 55. Just my 2 cents. Mostly I just love cars.

Hey Ralph, that's pretty good mileage for a W211. I would of thought you got less especially with the mods.
Old 05-13-2010, 02:43 PM
beers4all
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shadow993
audi makes trash..... go for a e55 or an e63.

Why would you go for an s4 when you get a big fat e55 or a super e63. Audi is trash, they don't hold up. Look at the resale of a S4 vs a e55 or e63

Darn it! I just bought a pile o' trash!
Attached Images    
Old 05-13-2010, 02:48 PM
TRINITONY
Rennlist Member

Received 318 Likes on 257 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by beers4all
That's some fine looking thrash!
Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

White trash, no less! I love the RS4. Too bad they didn't put that engine in the S5...
Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by beers4all
I'll take that trash off your hands....

Oh and the Blk/BLK interior would be my call too. Sweet looking ride.

Bob-
Old 05-13-2010, 05:53 PM
Greg964
Pro

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
White trash, no less! I love the RS4. Too bad they didn't put that engine in the S5...
They actually are, it is called the RS5 and it is coming to the US is a year or so. It uses a 450 hp version of the RS4 FSI engine, but no manual transmission being offered, just DCT.

http://www.worldcarfans.com/11004212...nfirmed-for-us

Quick Reply: OT - MBZ E AMG or Audi S4 DD