993 Forum 1995-1998

Readiness codes fix....

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM
richardew
R.I.P
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here's what I got from Porsche. The notes on the page are the mechanics.
Attached Images  
Old 05-17-2010, 11:05 AM
k722070
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 46 Posts

thanks for keeping the thread updated with your info gentlemen.
I've had the same issues with my 96. I have durametric and have completed the drive cycle numerous times with a laptop on the passenger seat to keep track of the flags and can't get enough set to pass emissions.
I've been going to the salt lake county referee station, they told me the problems with my porsche were minor compared to a 96-97 ford f150.
I was also told the state considers drive cycles a hazard and would rather I didn't attempt it on public roads.
replacing the DME must be a last resort solution.
Old 05-17-2010, 11:54 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

Received 61 Likes on 54 Posts

"There must be some resolution to all of this besides purchasing a new DME."

Yes there is! You need to find a competent Porsche repair shop or dealer.
The dealer you went to is not one. The DME ECM does NOT need to be
replaced and should not be flashed even if it could be, i.e. that causes
more OBDII problems.

As a starting point, call (Guy/Gabe) Strasse Porsche Repair in San Luis
Obispo and reference my comments and the procedure I posted via
use of the Porsche tester. The phone number is; 805-540-3300.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:08 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Richardew - Thanks for the information from your mechanic. Looks like an updated version of one I received from Cutter Porsche back in 04. Unfortunately, it would not set the OBD II indicating monitors on the scanner. However, when the dealer hooked the car up to the PST2 it indicated from the actual operations that everything is working......Go figure! these things are a strange beast. What may have caused this whole problem may be the use of battery/trickle chargers over a period of time may have contributed to this problem, still unsure.

K722070 - I understand your frustrations, its mutual. Could you provide exactly what monitors have set and not set? (see what I provided on page 2) this will be interesting to see if we are experiencing exactly the same problems with OBD II. I was also stopped by the CHP while attempting to set the monitors and was told I was obstructing traffic and creating a hazardous situation for other drivers.

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-17-2010, 12:20 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Lorenfb - I already talked to Guy about this situation last friday. He was the one that suggested that I get the DME flashed over and indicated to me that they neither have that capability. He indicated that any Porsche dealer should be able to flash it. Their (SBAG) statement to me was that Porsche no longer supported the 993 software at the dealer level. If you know of one please post the name and phone number. It would be much appricated by many of the folks in our situation.

THX,

Don
Old 05-17-2010, 12:22 PM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

I will give Guy a call back this morning!

Don
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by diet97993
Went down to the Santa Barbara Auto Group who is the local Porsche dealer. Attempted to cal smog it and no dice. The three that are set are:

Misfire

Fuel system

Comprehensive Component

Not Set:

Catalyst

Evaporative System

Secondary Air System

Oxygen Sensor

Oxygen Sensor Heater

Smog Tech decided not to formally smog the vehicle. The Porsche Tech placed the car on the PST and read the same thing concerning the flags. However, when he performed the diagnostic and checked all the operating parameters of all the monitors individually there was nothing that was close to being out of tolerence or near marginal. Forgot to mention that I performed "two" seperate drive cycles (4) trips and noted no change or setting of any additional flags (readiness indicators) . The Tech told me that the DME operates just fine and tail pipe emmisions are well below the states requirements and the car runs strong. For some reason the five monitors will not complete. Their recommendation is take it to the referee. They also mentioned that most of the 993's they've seen (96 thru 98) are experiencing the same problems. The tech indicated that the Referee here is well aware of the problems with these cars and has passed them here recently. At first the service manager indicated to me that they could flash the DME and reinstall the software but was later recanted by the tech saying that Porsche no longer supported the 993 software. However, if this should not be the case with mine I was quoted $2,500.00 for a new DME installed from the dealer....stealer. Is there any other source for a DME besides the stealers? Since everything else runs fine and the monitors indicate they are working is there a chance that this could be in a connector or wiring to the OBD II? Could there be a DME grounding issue?

Don
See this thread OBDii thread

Starting with post #28 directly address' this.
Old 05-17-2010, 02:48 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"I already talked to Guy about this situation last friday."

Spoke with Guy today and provided more info about the 993 problem.
Would suggest that you bring the car to him and more fully discuss
the situation so all has a better understanding of what needs to be done.

Again, there's a very small likelihood that the DME ECM needs to be
replaced unless it was damaged, e.g. 'performance' flash.

Bottom line: Too bad there exists incompetence at the dealer level!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:53 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

993BillW - Very interesting to say the least. I take it that it establishes that the engine must cool substantially before attempting another cycle. possibly as much as (4) hours to overnight. I glad that you brought this thread foward. There is a lot of good information contained therein.

Lorenfb - I spoke with Guy this afternoon and he advised me that you two have colaborated on work before. Your right, SBAG folks are not with the program but I did get to see that the systems are functioning courtsey of the PST2. Guy suggested that I bring the car up to him and he would work with you on the problem. I may do this pending the results from my visit to the referee. In my conversation with Guy he indicated that one reason that the monitor flags won't set was that they may operate in series and when you hit the first one that doesn't set you go no further. The question I have about that is why did the PST2 indicate that all OBD II systems are functioning fine but not setting?

I also spoke with Steve Weiner earlier today about this same issue and he explained to me that a flash over is not really possible for 993's. the ECM's in the 96 models are next to impossible to work with. The 97 models are much better along with the 98's. He explained to me that when you purchase his performance package and you send him you ECM that he must remove the solder joints from the e-PROM to remove, reprogram, and reinstall. He also advised that it makes no sense to buy a new ECM unless the unit has been damaged. He also recommended to take the car to the referee station and give that a try before I do anything else. Now if you live in Oregon I really feel sorry for you from what Steve told me there is no repair cost limits in Oregon. You just pay what ever it cost to fix the car or your off the streets period. We also discussed that it also depends on the experience of the referee in dealing with the 993 issues as to wheather you can get it through. California has a repair limitation cost and if your going to exceed it or it going to cost more that up to the amount which I believe is up to $500.00 (could be wrong) you should be able to go to the referee and plead you case. The referee has to make a determination as to wheather the car is a pollution emiter, if it is mechanically sound and does it exceeds tailpipe emmisions before he can physically fail the car. If I'm wrong I'm sure you guy's will chime in.

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 01:07 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

BTW current price for a 96 - 98 993 DME is $1,408.00 from JPLV in Las Vegas with a three week delivery from Germany. Haven't received a quote from Sunset in Oregon yet.

Cheers!

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 11:28 AM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"In my conversation with Guy he indicated that one reason that the monitor flags won't set was that they may operate in series and when you hit the first one that doesn't set you go no further."

That's correct, as previously mentioned.

"The question I have about that is why did the PST2 indicate that all OBD II systems are functioning fine but not setting?"

Yes the OBDII systems are functioning within the DME ECM but there may be
a problem with the engine or its emission system, e.g. tank venting - gas cap.

"BTW current price for a 96 - 98 993 DME is $1,408.00 from JPLV in Las Vegas with a three week delivery from Germany. Haven't received a quote from Sunset in Oregon yet."

Why is this still even being considered when the actual/true source of the problem is unlnown?
Given that approach, shouldn't we be checking on prices to replace the complete engine?
Old 05-18-2010, 11:51 AM
diet97993
Rennlist Member

Sorry Loren, I just received the information and wanted to get it out there for those that possibly wanted to know. I think you've pretty much flushed out the fact that it's not necessary. The engine comment, I'm just going to let go.......I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday.

Cheers,

Don
Old 05-18-2010, 11:52 AM
Jay96cab
3rd Gear

I am having the same problem, none of the Non Continuous Monitors will reset. I called the Calif BAR and was told they new of the problem and to go to the referee and they would give me a certificate for $8.25. I went yesterday, they spent an hour testing, came back and said NO DEAL due to the readiness codes. I told the ref that I was advised they would issue me a waiver and he said they no longer do that. I am really frustrated. I am thinking about buying the Equus 3030 reader and doing the drive cycle procedure. Will this reader work? Some of the posts indicate that one must use the Porsche tester. I am trying to sell my car and need to get this fixed before it can be sold. Thanks for any help!
Old 05-18-2010, 12:12 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay96cab
I am having the same problem, none of the Non Continuous Monitors will reset. I called the Calif BAR and was told they new of the problem and to go to the referee and they would give me a certificate for $8.25. I went yesterday, they spent an hour testing, came back and said NO DEAL due to the readiness codes. I told the ref that I was advised they would issue me a waiver and he said they no longer do that. I am really frustrated. I am thinking about buying the Equus 3030 reader and doing the drive cycle procedure. Will this reader work? Some of the posts indicate that one must use the Porsche tester. I am trying to sell my car and need to get this fixed before it can be sold. Thanks for any help!
You're really asking 2 questions here: 1) yes, the Equus reader will work to tell you when the RI's have set and witch ones are not set but 2) you will need something like the PST2 (Porsche System Tester) to tell you the parameters of the individual RI's. As I understand it the new version of the Durametric tester software also has the ability but I'm not sure of that.

To put it another way the Equus will tell you if they are set or not set but it won't tell you why they're not set.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-18-2010, 12:31 PM
Lorenfb
Race Car

"The engine comment, I'm just going to let go.......I didn't fall off the turnip truck yesterday."

My concern is that I don't like to see people 'taken-down-the-path' and waste
money/time on needless expenditures.

Quick Reply: Readiness codes fix....