Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FD Motorsports: Spring Stone Guard Special

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2010, 10:22 AM
nskd3
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the original guards are on my car. There is definitely a big color change between the car's paint and the colored stone guards. It would be awesome to get the same results on my red car as shown with the silver cars on this thread. Here's the question...I've heard that red really changes shades throughout its life. If I remove the old stone guards, will the color match underneath them with the rest of the car's body?
Old 05-08-2010, 11:10 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

One word of caution on these Stone Guards... they will be a thinner material (8mil) as opposed to the original material thickness (14mil).
The thinner stuff may be necessary for the area behind the fender wells but the Stone Guards in front of the rear wheel need to be 14mil material. They can get some large hits thrown from the front tires.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:12 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nskd3
I think the original guards are on my car. There is definitely a big color change between the car's paint and the colored stone guards. It would be awesome to get the same results on my red car as shown with the silver cars on this thread. Here's the question...I've heard that red really changes shades throughout its life. If I remove the old stone guards, will the color match underneath them with the rest of the car's body?
Neal, I have not seen a difference on GR cars when they have been replaced.
I am not sure the original guards offered much UV protection. I had a GR coupe a few years back and didn't see a difference when I replaced them.

Others here with GR cars might have more info...
Old 05-08-2010, 01:35 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nskd3
Neal, I changed the guards on my GR car and there was no difference in color. I think most of the color change you are referring to occurs on the horizontal surfaces that get much more sunlight. On the vertical surfaces I saw no change at all. I recommend making the change, I was very pleased with the results, plus the newer clear guards look to have a better gloss.
Old 05-08-2010, 08:01 PM
DesertBighorn
Instructor

Thanks Mark!! Got mine today, that was fast!!

Mail man dropped the mailing tube on the door step, rang the bell and left. The result was the, "Now what did you order??" from you know who.

-Doug
Old 05-08-2010, 09:01 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DesertBighorn
Thanks Mark!! Got mine today, that was fast!!

Mail man dropped the mailing tube on the door step, rang the bell and left. The result was the, "Now what did you order??" from you know who.

-Doug
uh oh... maybe we need to start shipping stuff in plain brown wrappers?

Glad they arrived ok

Roger, nice avatar
Looks like a cool shop
Old 05-09-2010, 08:57 AM
craig001
Drifting

Received 72 Likes on 55 Posts

If I can find the "flaps" from my 964 I will try to post pics. They have two clamps each - no drilling involved. IIRC it was easier to install them with the wheels off, but it has been a couple of years since I dumped the 964 so I can't really remember. Don't remember where I got them though.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:44 PM
1pcarnut
Drifting

Originally Posted by MarkD
Roger, nice avatar
Looks like a cool shop
Why thank you sir, it most certainly is.
Old 05-10-2010, 02:26 PM
owen meany
Instructor

Hey Mark,
I strongly encourage you to figure out the "Flap" guards. I already have your stone guards on and don't want to spend the money on the 8 mill. set from the other company as I already have all of the other protection that I need. Just want to protect behind the wheels now.
Looking forward to the time when your advertising the new piece.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:05 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by owen meany
Hey Mark,
I strongly encourage you to figure out the "Flap" guards. I already have your stone guards on and don't want to spend the money on the 8 mill. set from the other company as I already have all of the other protection that I need. Just want to protect behind the wheels now.
Looking forward to the time when your advertising the new piece.
Owen, OK.. thanks for the push

I have been wanting to get these done for my own car also, just short on time, as always.
I will work on it. As I said previously, I need to see if I can make 14 mil work.
If not, they will have to be 8 mil to make the curve.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:10 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Just a shameless plug:
As I was installing today, I noticed these appear to be a heavier mil than the ones from Performance products. So heavier, better vinyl, and less expensive!
Thanks!!!!!
Old 05-18-2010, 08:27 PM
PNogC2S
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I saw another post about the guards being colored on Polar Silvercars. I want to replace the guards on my Arctic Silver 2S... would the FDM ones work or do the Arctic Silver cars have colored guards as well?
Old 05-18-2010, 10:50 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Falcondrivr
Just a shameless plug:
As I was installing today, I noticed these appear to be a heavier mil than the ones from Performance products. So heavier, better vinyl, and less expensive!
Thanks!!!!!
ha! Thanks!

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
I saw another post about the guards being colored on Polar Silvercars. I want to replace the guards on my Arctic Silver 2S... would the FDM ones work or do the Arctic Silver cars have colored guards as well?
The clear guards looks much better that the colored and almost disappear.
There is a before/after of Darin's Polar Silver car on our site... from colored to clear. I will post here when on my office PC tomorrow. The difference is pretty drastic.

Keep in mind Darin's were old but still, the color of the guard doesn't match the paint color.
Hope that helps!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 3 Posts

My car is Arctic and still has the original coloured stone guards. I received my clear guards last week. I'll probably tackle this job at the weekend, I'll try and remember to take and post some before and after shots.
Old 05-19-2010, 01:20 PM
speedbagger
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MarkD
yes
maybe
no

It really depends...
it likely depends on how much time your car has spent in the sun.

FDM--do you know if the film is UV stable?

Quick Reply: FD Motorsports: Spring Stone Guard Special