Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help please. Passenger seat doesn't move back & ... stepdaughter gets her 1st car!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2010, 12:38 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 864 Likes on 438 Posts
Default Help please. Passenger seat doesn't move back & ... stepdaughter gets her 1st car!

I went to pick up my stepdaughter after she had a sleepover party at her friend's house. She's almost 16 now and taller than my wife. When I got to the house, she came out with another friend. I didn't know I'd be taking 2 tall girls in my 911! In any case, they were sports about it so I went to put the seat forward on the passenger side and ... no go. It would go forward electrically like it's supposed to. We got it to go up and down, but not forward or backward. Any ideas? She scrunched in the rear seat behind me as I could put mine forward and I drove with my knees practically touching the front of the dash area all the way home. Not good seating position or that safe.

Hope it's not an expensive repair. Just spent $1500 last week on the SAI port cleaning and spoiler wall and money is tight.

On another topic, she told me that her daddy got her a car last week, but she can't drive it legally yet. She was so excited. I knew she really wanted a used Prius but at Carmax where they went, they were too expensive. They looked at a Suzuki , a Ford something or other, but ended up with...a Vanilla White, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Uh, it's not what I expected her first car to be but she was happy to have it and we were happy for her, of course. It looked something like this:

Hot car, right? Uhh, just kidding. As a first car, it could be worse... Her dad drives a Hummer H3 6 speed so I guess he wanted something easier for her to learn on.

I was hoping he'd get her a used Corolla or Civic but it is what it is. Heck, my first car was a older Ford Torino that I had to share with our housekeeper that lived with us. It was a POS but I was ecstatic to have a car.

Thanks in advance if you know what's wrong with my passenger seat from previous experience with it.

Steve R
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

These are known to stick. Usually just takes a bit of wiggling or rocking the seat back to get it moving again. Its a bit of a bother but usually easily resolved.

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I went to pick up my stepdaughter after she had a sleepover party at her friend's house. She's almost 16 now and taller than my wife. When I got to the house, she came out with another friend. I didn't know I'd be taking 2 tall girls in my 911! In any case, they were sports about it so I went to put the seat forward on the passenger side and ... no go. It would go forward electrically like it's supposed to. We got it to go up and down, but not forward or backward. Any ideas? She scrunched in the rear seat behind me as I could put mine forward and I drove with my knees practically touching the front of the dash area all the way home. Not good seating position or that safe.

Hope it's not an expensive repair. Just spent $1500 last week on the SAI port cleaning and spoiler wall and money is tight.

On another topic, she told me that her daddy got her a car last week, but she can't drive it legally yet. She was so excited. I knew she really wanted a used Prius but at Carmax where they went, they were too expensive. They looked at a Suzuki , a Ford something or other, but ended up with...a Vanilla White, 2008 Chrysler PT Cruiser. Uh, it's not what I expected her first car to be but she was happy to have it and we were happy for her, of course. It looked something like this:

Hot car, right? Uhh, just kidding. As a first car, it could be worse... Her dad drives a Hummer H3 6 speed so I guess he wanted something easier for her to learn on.

I was hoping he'd get her a used Corolla or Civic but it is what it is. Heck, my first car was a older Ford Torino that I had to share with our housekeeper that lived with us. It was a POS but I was ecstatic to have a car.

Thanks in advance if you know what's wrong with my passenger seat from previous experience with it.

Steve R
Old 05-03-2010, 12:46 AM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sit in the passenger seat and wiggle your butt aroud, rock back and forth, at the same time push the up/down/foward/back button. It will give.

It happens to me every now and then. Must be a 993 thing!
Old 05-03-2010, 01:05 AM
avslash
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I believe the switches are fairly failure prone as well; at least I have seen several archive posts indicating that.

I know in mine, I sometimes have to give the up/down switch sort of a whack to get it to make contact.

Might be worth trying on yours.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Rinty
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Steve:

don't worry, it will fix itself; mine did. Just try all the tricks in the stuck seat threads here.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:34 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 358 Likes on 212 Posts

Here you go;

https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...ward-help.html
Old 05-03-2010, 02:42 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by avslash
I believe the switches are fairly failure prone as well; at least I have seen several archive posts indicating that.

I know in mine, I sometimes have to give the up/down switch sort of a whack to get it to make contact.

Might be worth trying on yours.
Once the switches begin to perform intermittently they are on their way to eventual failure. Some of the switches but not all (left front and back, left recline, right front height) in my ex MY94 993 went last year...new ones were very pricey from the dealer so I cannibalized replacements from other seats.
Old 05-03-2010, 03:40 AM
jlb_94611
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry but that's the worst car in the world to get a first time driver. Blind spots galore. Best to spend some time with her to understand the mirrors etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 04:30 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

May want to add these...

http://www.multivexmirror.net/Result...&Submit=Search

Originally Posted by jlb_94611
sorry but that's the worst car in the world to get a first time driver. Blind spots galore. Best to spend some time with her to understand the mirrors etc.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:30 AM
Bouzoukikid
Instructor

Hi Steve. If you hear a click when using the switches, it's likely the seat is stuck.
Mine was stuck when I first bouhght the car. As the suggestions above, forcibley wriggling on the seat whislt pressing the switch worked for me. I also try not to keep the seat in the fully back position to prevent it happening again.

Looks like a pretty nice first car to me.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:54 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Thanks everyone for the quick and helpful overnight responses! I'll try wriggling it while maneuvering the buttons and see if that works. If not, then I'm on to the next of your possible fixes.

I love this response on the thread from 2004 that Chuck W just posted the link to:

""Scootch" implies a gentle rocking motion fore and aft. This did not work for me. I had to "Bang the holy hell out of the seat like my first girlfriend in college". Then the mechanism caught and the seat behaved normally after this procedure. Although the term "Bang the holy... college" term is not politically correct it implies the correct effort to reengage the mechanism. College is a politically correct time frame term to protect younger readers of this forum so that High school is not considered to be appropriate for having relations with ones girlfriend. All other questions can be referred to my lawyer."

OT: I'll let her know about the blind spots and look into a different mirror for her PT Cruiser. She's stoked about it so I just smile and say "Nice car". I was talking to my neighbor last night near my house and I see a white PT Cruiser go by - it was her and her daddy. He was driving her around in it I guess. He lives very close to us, the reason we moved to this neighborhood was to be closer to my wife's daughter. I'm sure it will be a great first car for her. She can always buy her Prius down the road one day!

Steve R

Last edited by Steve 96C4S; 05-03-2010 at 09:24 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:34 AM
vjd3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

If you refrain from leaving the seat completely back, it probably won't happen again. Just put it all the way back and then move it forward a little bit.
Old 05-03-2010, 10:53 AM
Leander
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't understand all the fuss. I simply pull up on the lever under the front of my seat, scoot forwards, and voila! The seat moves. Simples.
Old 05-03-2010, 01:53 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Leander
I don't understand all the fuss. I simply pull up on the lever under the front of my seat, scoot forwards, and voila! The seat moves. Simples.
I wish I had lighter, manual seats. I see nothing "upscale," about the power mechanism, but we forget the Porsche had to stay competitive in the "feature wars" with M-B SL, Jag XK etc.

There are a few threads on the seat cable replacement. I believe that the part is less than $70 from Sunset. I also did a Rennline fire bottle mount as a "while you're in there."

I've had many domestic cars that I like very much, but I rented a PT Cruiser for a week. I wanted to like it and it seemed practical for a family of three, but it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever driven. Also, interior space was much less efficent than you'd expect. It's not an SUV.
Old 05-03-2010, 11:44 PM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dcdude

I've had many domestic cars that I like very much, but I rented a PT Cruiser for a week. I wanted to like it and it seemed practical for a family of three, but it was pretty much the worst thing I've ever driven. Also, interior space was much less efficent than you'd expect. It's not an SUV.
I rented one too once, many years ago in Florida and didn't think it was that bad. I think the styling is lame, but it wasn't the worst rental I've ever had. I'm just shocked he didn't get her a small Honda or Toyota instead. Those cars I at least respect. The PT Cruiser is not my cup of tea at all, but the car's not for me.

Quick Reply: Help please. Passenger seat doesn't move back & ... stepdaughter gets her 1st car!