Sponsored by:

L.A. Dismantlers - Parts Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2010, 03:01 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default L.A. Dismantlers - Parts Inspection

Funny how things work. After reading (a lot) of posts about LA Dismantlers they happen to be the only place ("yard") that has the seats I am looking for.

I am hesitant to purchase anything from them (esp. interior parts) without having the parts looked at first.

Problem is I am across the country in NYC. Is anybody located near where they are? Happy to compensate for somebody visually inspecting the pair of sport seats they have before I pull the trigger.

Reply or PM if you want to chat.
Old 04-28-2010, 03:20 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Unfortunately it's not just about inspecting the parts at their yard, it's about their quality of shipping...

I've purchased from them on the spot while on business in LA (aero mirrors for my first 964), but never through the mail for interior or exterior items.

Best of luck!
Old 04-28-2010, 03:31 PM
ltc
Super Moderator
Needs More Cowbell

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

FWIW, a few years back, I bought a pair of black 993 Turbo 12 way power adjustable, heated, embossed headcrest seats from them.
I asked for and received multiple pictures of the seats and paid for them via AMEX (in case anything went wrong).

The seats arrived as advertised and reasonably packed.

Based on comments after the aforementioned transaction, I appear to have been in the minority of folks with no issues.

A search regarding them will yield 2 threads, one with 4K views and one with 8K views, so there has been a lot of discussion regarding them and caveat emptor
Old 04-28-2010, 03:50 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

I also bought sport seats, RSD and full leather interior from them and got it shipped to the east coast. Besides the fact that there are expensive everything went fine.

Jack
Old 04-28-2010, 04:19 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

I've read the threads. Lots of people on both sides of the story and some interesting PR by L.A. Dismantlers.

Good to hear that there are good experiences with their interior parts. The sport seats are $$ so I am trying to make sure I don't get screwed. AMEX is always on my side but they don't help the disappointment from receiving unusable parts.
Old 04-28-2010, 06:41 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have them e-mail you photos of the seats before packaging,and as they package them for shipping.
If you don't think the packaging is adaquate, call them to resolve.
Just a suggestion......
Old 04-28-2010, 08:35 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you read a bunch of posts, you probably read mine.

So..heres the deal. You're buying used parts out of crashed cars that are being handled by a bunch of low-wage guys who don't give a ****. They don't even know if there is a hidden crack here, or a stripped bolt there. You are risking your money with them. It may turn out just fine, but you should not be surprised if there is some flaw that is not obvious even to them. I bought 5 major interior pieces from them for about $1600 plus shipping. 4 of the 5 parts were useless from issues that were not obvious to the untrained eye (broken mount points, bent brackets, hairline cracks, etc)

Then of course, they shipped the stuff to me and the 1 good piece (upper dash) was wasted because they just threw it in a box with everything else and it was sliced up by the mounts for the lower dash.

And heres what is most curious to me. The prices are not great. They want as much or more for everything they sell then you can find in 5 minutes on Rennlist or even Ebay.

There are 2 pairs of black mk1 GT3 seats for sale on RL right now for 1400-1600 in mint condition. Those guys would ask double that.

LA dismantlers want $1200 for a steering wheel/airbag, that looks like crap even in the photos.

I live here in town, but will not set foot in that place. I suggest a few posts on RL and Pelican and see if you can find what you're looking for from one of us first.

If all else fails, use your AMEX!!!! i paid cash and flushed almost $2k down the drain.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:45 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. What they have is a set of hard back sport seats out of a Turbo S. In the pics (pics below) they have the leather seat-belt receivers and the leather covered 3 hole seat controls with 1 blank (not the 2 hole controls like many of the non S sport seats i have looked at).

The seats "look" good. Low mileage and wear, will look even better after a nice soak with leatherique or leather masters.

Proceeding cautiously and opinions on the seats welcome.
Attached Images     
Old 04-28-2010, 08:51 PM
msw
Racer

Received 100 Likes on 16 Posts

those are probably the seats out of the turbo s whose engine i bought from them back in late '09...blk/blk car had 6k miles...from pennsylvania.

deal with efren...he was great.
Old 04-28-2010, 09:30 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

https://rennlist.com/forums/for-sale...s-blowout.html

for comparison..
Old 04-29-2010, 11:26 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

good looking seats. Are the backs painted black? I can not tell in the pics. I called about those seats and the guy was fairly non friendly about the whole deal. He first said $10K and I quickly said good bye. He came back a few days later for $8k and I politely declined.
LA should take some lessons from FD MotorSports!
Old 04-29-2010, 12:06 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

$10,000?? wtf?

What are they new from Sunset? Thats more than new carbon GT2 seats!!?

I may be wrong, but aren't these seats the same thing as all 993 and 996 sport seats? (996 slightly different stitching). There is nothing special about Turbo S sport seats. These have painted backs (a $250 exercise).

I'm a bit baffled by all this. Not just because I think those guys are crooks, but the prices are nutty. I think there was a set of 993 sport seats here on RL that were 'new' for $4500 or so and everyone that that was insane.

For that kind of money, call the dealer and get new ones..
Old 04-29-2010, 12:07 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

I had been dealing with Efren at LA Dismantlers, before all my Speedster parts turned up for sale about 20 miles from my home! (Fate or Destiny!)
The parts had all been sourced from LA about 3 years prior, and the seller was actually full of praise for the standard of packing. It was airfrieghted to Manchester UK and wrapped and packed and arrived safe & sound.
Superfically the parts - doors, roof, hump and windscreen were 'good enough', but did need ripples and dings removing - all parr for 15/16 year old parts.
That's just my first (or actually 2nd) hand experience with them.
Graham
Old 04-29-2010, 12:23 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
$10,000?? wtf?

I may be wrong, but aren't these seats the same thing as all 993 and 996 sport seats? (996 slightly different stitching). There is nothing special about Turbo S sport seats. These have painted backs (a $250 exercise).

I'm a bit baffled by all this. Not just because I think those guys are crooks, but the prices are nutty. I think there was a set of 993 sport seats here on RL that were 'new' for $4500 or so and everyone that that was insane.

New Sport Seats are close to $10K a piece...

Totally insane, as are these used prices, I sold mine years ago for $3000 and thought that was pretty crazy.

I'd rather get leather Recaros (if you want leather, I prefer cloth when it comes to bucket seats) or if bucket seats are not your thing, those stock GT3 seats for $1200, they're hardback and you can get rid of the stupid storage pocket and paint them body color if you want to.
Old 04-29-2010, 12:30 PM
tropheus
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
$10,000?? wtf?

Well, there is more to the story. The 993 sport seats are different than the 996. And there are less sold. If you just look for hardback seats 996 will be fine. If you would like the original for these time period - you have to pay more. However, even if these seats shown have the crest and the heat - $10.000 is wayyyyy to much. Sure it will find a buyer ….
I got mine from LA Dis for $4500 for 2 years ago.
Jack

Quick Reply: L.A. Dismantlers - Parts Inspection