Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L.A. Dismantlers - Parts Inspection

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 12:58 PM
Rongut
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had to replace a seatbelt in my 993. LA Dismantlers wanted more for a used belt than Beverly Hills Porsche wanted for a new one. Buyer beware.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:03 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by P1CR
$10,000?? wtf?

What are they new from Sunset?
993 seats are not available from Porsche anymore. Not even the parts.

Thats more than new carbon GT2 seats!!?
True that!

I may be wrong, but aren't these seats the same thing as all 993 and 996 sport seats? (996 slightly different stitching). There is nothing special about Turbo S sport seats. These have painted backs (a $250 exercise).
The 996 sports seats are a much different animal.
The 993 Turbo S seats looks to have the controls wrapped in Leather.
The painted backs were a $1200 option from Porsche. (to my knowledge)

For that kind of money, call the dealer and get new ones..
Not possible - I checked everywhere.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:52 PM
P1CR
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmm.. ok. Sorry for the excitement.

I just don't want to see SSTAR post a !@%# note about how the seats smell like dead animals, or the paint has a bunch of cracks, or the electrics don't work, or they're not real turbo S seats, or whatever.. That would suck for him.

These guys don't care, and often don't even know if the stuff they sell is broken or crappy, smelly, or whatever. They don't check. What I noticed when i was there, is that they yank parts out of cars and toss them in big piles. Half the problem is just their handling of the stuff.

Like RONGUT said buyer beware. I'm not sure AMEX would really help here...its not as simple as declining the charge. They will lie their assess off. In my case, they instructed me to go and crush the perfectly intact shipping box, then call UPS and file a false claim. No ****. I was astounded. They could have just exchanged my damaged dash for one of the 500 they have. Of course, when i went to go mount the rest of the stuff, it was unusable. Mounts broken, frames slightly bent, etc.

I should taken note when the owner of the place said to me "if you want perfect parts, go somewhere else" If thats the case, the prices should match.
Old 04-29-2010, 01:56 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

+1 on buyer beware..... I have learned my lesson ;-)
Old 04-29-2010, 03:29 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

You can build your own hard back seats withe new leather for under $4,000 and some effort. You need the frames (upper only about $1,000), the foam (unavailable from Porsche worldwide, but can be cut by a good shop for probably $100), covers (upper only about $800), seat backs (about $800). The comfort seat bolsters are a little lower, but the look is there so they don't "need" to be done (but should probably be recovered for about $800). Prices are IIRC.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:02 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raptor
You can build your own hard back seats withe new leather for under $4,000 and some effort. You need the frames (upper only about $1,000), the foam (unavailable from Porsche worldwide, but can be cut by a good shop for probably $100), covers (upper only about $800), seat backs (about $800). The comfort seat bolsters are a little lower, but the look is there so they don't "need" to be done (but should probably be recovered for about $800). Prices are IIRC.
Where are you finding these parts?
Old 04-29-2010, 04:36 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I did mine several years ago there were zero driver seat bottoms (foam) and 4 passenger side. I got two passenger sides - only difference was cut out for controls on the side. I think there were limited upper foams, but an upholstery shop could replicate them. The covers are available at three or four popular sites. The frames were purchased from a local dealer so I presume they are available. Probably could have done better on price with Sunset than local. The hard backs are also available - got mine from Sunset.

The reason the upper frames were not purchased from Sunset is that I thought I could use the comfort frames, but they are somewhat different than sport seats - hence another expense I hadn't planned on.

All-in-all a good price for new seats and a moderate price for non-LAPD seats. I initially bought 996 seats, but they are just not the look I wanted so I sold 'em and created the 993 seats. The lowers were re-foamed and recovered.

BTW, your car looks great. If you need more detail let me know and I'll pull the receipts.
Old 04-29-2010, 04:42 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Raptor
When I did mine several years ago there were zero driver seat bottoms (foam) and 4 passenger side. I got two passenger sides - only difference was cut out for controls on the side. I think there were limited upper foams, but an upholstery shop could replicate them. The covers are available at three or four popular sites. The frames were purchased from a local dealer so I presume they are available. Probably could have done better on price with Sunset than local. The hard backs are also available - got mine from Sunset.

The reason the upper frames were not purchased from Sunset is that I thought I could use the comfort frames, but they are somewhat different than sport seats - hence another expense I hadn't planned on.

All-in-all a good price for new seats and a moderate price for non-LAPD seats. I initially bought 996 seats, but they are just not the look I wanted so I sold 'em and created the 993 seats. The lowers were re-foamed and recovered.

BTW, your car looks great. If you need more detail let me know and I'll pull the receipts.
Thanks! I just started a thread looking for the Porsche Crest Leather panels for the 993 sport seats. I would like to upgrade them during my rebuild.
I couple of months ago, I spent some time on the phone with Sunset and tried to see if we could just order all the spare parts to make the seat and we came up with nothing.....

Thanks again for the info.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:06 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by SSTAR
In the pics (pics below) they have the leather seat-belt receivers and the leather covered 3 hole seat controls with 1 blank (not the 2 hole controls like many of the non S sport seats i have looked at).
That's because these are heated Sport Seats. That's what the toggle switch with the heat adjust wheel in the center of it is for. The 3 hole seat control escutcheon is the only one with the opening for the toggle switch, so all heated seats have them. The last hole is for electric Lumbar adjust which is very rare.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:08 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info everybody. Im not much of a project guy and don't have a project car. Building seats is out of the question for me. I don't care about the paint on the backs as I will paint them Polar to match the car. I am not paying 10k either. I am trying to get a few other parts as well and strike an overall deal for all of them.

As for these seats vs. others? My car is a Turbo S and if I am going to swap for sport seats its important for me to maintain the integrity of the Turbo S. Hence trying to jump on the Turbo S seats. The differences are minuscule but important for some of us.

As you all have helped me realize, if the seats are as shown in the pics, the real risk is getting them to me in that same condition they are in now. Ill keep the board posted as to how this plays out.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Please post pics of your Turbo S!!!

Have the seats shipped in separate boxes!!! Mine arrived shipped in one box in the 69 position and they arrived with damage.
Old 04-29-2010, 05:10 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Well, these seats could be ordered for any of the cars from mid'95, so don't let them charge you more because they came out of an 'S'....
Old 04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Pics to come! I have to get the car cleaned up and the services done. JPP, there are a few small differences on the Turbo S seats that differentiate them from the 95-98 heated sport seats.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:04 PM
JPP
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by SSTAR
Pics to come! I have to get the car cleaned up and the services done. JPP, there are a few small differences on the Turbo S seats that differentiate them from the 95-98 heated sport seats.
If you don't mind saying what those are, I'd like to know, thanks.
Old 04-29-2010, 09:22 PM
SSTAR
Rennlist Member

Like the other black plastic trim pieces that are covered in leather in the Turbo S (vents, window switches etc.), the sport seats in the Turbo S have the leather covered controls, leather wrapped seat belt buckle receivers and IIRC leather covered seat-back releases.

Quick Reply: L.A. Dismantlers - Parts Inspection