993 Forum 1995-1998

Sport Seats Saga

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 08:00 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Raptor, that's nice position for those. I might soon be putting 987/997 heated seats in, will need to figure a place for heat buttons. That might be it right there.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:44 AM
Nurburger
Rennlist Member

Received 552 Likes on 243 Posts

Sad...

Note to all: 99.9% of ALL cars in Montreal WILL have been smoked in heavily!

Good luck with getting the seats into the condition you hoped for - the SY backs look awesome.
Old 04-25-2010, 11:05 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry to hear of your experience with your seat purchase, on the bright side, you have a set of 993 sport seats though they were in a smoker's car, they're leather and can be thoroughly cleaned and conditioned. Just think if they were cloth, the upholstery would have definitely needed to be replaced, and because you're getting the backs painted, the seats are disassembled allowing them to air out and maybe the frame work cleaned. I had a bad shipping experience with 8" and 9" (rare) fuch wheels, same thing, rim to rim touches throughout the trip. I ended up having them fully polished.
Old 04-25-2010, 01:07 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Good luck with getting the seats into the condition you hoped for - the SY backs look awesome.
thanks!
Old 04-25-2010, 01:59 PM
helmet993
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hi, we met yesterday at the cars and coffee event, I have the Silver with blue interior c2s...

I noticed in the picture you posted with the backs painted yellow that the seat hardback was resting on the seat cushion...hopefully they do not have them sitting like that for an extended period...

The seats will look good when you get them in...may I ask why you want sport seats as opposed to the setup you have now with the Sparco Evo Plus? Since you have the plus you may notice the stock sport seats are much smaller.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:03 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Glad it will work out in the end- pity it'll take so much $$!

Will you have your old seats available anytime soon? Are they heated?
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM
Nickmysta
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the hardback sport seats in my 993 in Montreal - and I am one of the 0.01% non-smokers!.

Could anyone please tell me what I could expect to get for them? I have been looking to replace them with some aftermarkets.

The seats are in good condition (obviously show some wear as they are 14 years old).

Thanks in advance
Old 04-25-2010, 06:38 PM
ciarmas2
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default seats

hi mcipseric sorry to hear about your experience with the seats did you try to get in touch with the seller to work it out.i'am offended by nurburgers remark about montreal cars i.am a smoker and i have the hard back sport seats in my car to and i never smoked in my cars so don't be to quick to trash montreal cars because i.am sure the car was originally from the states.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:44 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They weren't from the UK were they and supposed to have come out of a very low mileage turbo?

If so you outbid me as they had gone way past what I really wanted to pay. I'm fed up of looking for them now so will look to GT2/GT3 buckets.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:57 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Nurburger
Sad...

Note to all: 99.9% of ALL cars in Montreal WILL have been smoked in heavily!
Uh, no, but always good to ask when you're buying a car or anything upholstered... I would walk away from any car (or parts therefrom) that's been smoked in.

Good luck with the seats, I'm sure they'll turn out great.

Best,

Matt
Old 04-26-2010, 11:37 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by helmet993
Hi, we met yesterday at the cars and coffee event, I have the Silver with blue interior c2s...

I noticed in the picture you posted with the backs painted yellow that the seat hardback was resting on the seat cushion...hopefully they do not have them sitting like that for an extended period...
I spoke to them about the backs resting on the seats and they moved them. thanks!

Originally Posted by helmet993
...may I ask why you want sport seats as opposed to the setup you have now with the Sparco Evo Plus? Since you have the plus you may notice the stock sport seats are much smaller.
The Sparco is a racing seat and not that comfortable for normal driving. My goal is to get a dedicated track car in the near future and I will use the Sparco seat again. I want to turn the SY car into the best driver I can. IMHO the sports seats are much more comfortable that the stock seats. I have a little niece and nephew that love to ride in the back of the Porsche and the folding seats will help with the fun. Shoes off of course!
Old 04-26-2010, 11:58 AM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ciarmas2
hi mcipseric sorry to hear about your experience with the seats did you try to get in touch with the seller to work it out.i'am offended by nurburgers remark about montreal cars i.am a smoker and i have the hard back sport seats in my car to and i never smoked in my cars so don't be to quick to trash montreal cars because i.am sure the car was originally from the states.
I did not contact the seller, I believe in the "buyer beware mantra" and did not what the additional drama.
The seller did see my post and contacted me. There was no explanation about the smoke, he said that no one smoked in his car ever.......BIG MYSTERY as the Truspeed guys and I are suffering from Second Hand Smoke exposure.... ha-ha
The seller also said the he as trying so save me money on the shipping with using one box and that he as done so in the past with no issues. The seller suggested I contact the shipping company a pursue the insurance and that US customs might have unpacked the box looking for contraband and not re-packed the box to the quality that he packed it. No offer to help with the repairs were made.
I am in the Data Center Business and ship very heaving servers ($$$$$) all the time and know what good packing looks like. I give the packing a 2.5 out of 10. He did use plastic wrap and some bubble wrap and some old bed comforters. There should have been 10x more bubble wrap.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:01 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Zingari
They weren't from the UK were they and supposed to have come out of a very low mileage turbo?

If so you outbid me as they had gone way past what I really wanted to pay. I'm fed up of looking for them now so will look to GT2/GT3 buckets.
No they were not from the UK. Hope you find your seats. As I have found with patience, Porsche parts eventually turn up.
Old 04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
mcipseric
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Nickmysta
I have the hardback sport seats in my 993 in Montreal - and I am one of the 0.01% non-smokers!.

Could anyone please tell me what I could expect to get for them? I have been looking to replace them with some aftermarkets.

The seats are in good condition (obviously show some wear as they are 14 years old).

Thanks in advance
i would check ebay and the rennlist posts, you will start to get an idea of what has been asked out there.
Old 04-26-2010, 03:02 PM
Zingari
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Normally they sell for around £800 - £1,100 in the UK. Although the set I mentioned earlier actually went for £1,600 !!!

Yet for £1,100 I could have got hold of a complete leather sports interior from a crashed 997 Turbo - all seats and door panels! Knew I should have bought these now...............

Quick Reply: Sport Seats Saga