Sponsored by:

98 993 Struts and shocks

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2010, 03:48 PM
bmoondog
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 993 Struts and shocks

I have been reading Rennlist for 2 years and love all the advice and tips.

My daily driver is a 98 Targa with 105,000 on the odometer. I am fairly certain that my shock and struts are the original.

I am looking for advice on what to replace them with, I do not track or race, the 993 is just a great car to drive everyday for me.

I have estimates to replace with Monroe OEM or Bilstein, when I asked which model for the Bilstein he said they are equivalent to the Monroe.

Do you have any advice? I am in San Diego and would also like some advice on a good shop to perform the change.

Thank you,

Brett
1998 Targa
San Diego
Old 04-20-2010, 05:03 PM
stace
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

anything but Monroes!!! tons of threads on this subject. most people have used Bilsteins and now it seems Koni might have a model that fits the 993. there are other high performance systems. it makes a huge difference in the way these cars handle. don't forget a quality alignment including kinematic toe of the rear for proper results! the search feature will reveal a mountain of good info
Old 04-20-2010, 05:37 PM
bmoondog
8th Gear

Thank you Stace. I have been searching and reading and have found more information. I am a complete novice and really want a better ride.

The recommendation for the Monroe's came from Dieters in San Diego.

Thanks,

Brett
Old 04-21-2010, 12:45 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

since you are not tracking the car there is little point choosing a real high end suspension. Bilstein HDs or PSS10s are the most popular choice,. if the new Konis work well they are supposed to be a bit cheaper. Monroes just don't hold up and won't give you near the control. just be sure the installer is experienced and knows the underside of a 993!!! some SoCal lister's should be able to recommend someone in that area.

you'll love the change.....
Old 04-21-2010, 01:13 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stace
Monroes just don't hold up and won't give you near the control.
I have read this before on Rennlist. I'm wondering what happend to yours and at how many miles/years of use?
You seem to really dislike them.
Old 04-21-2010, 01:23 AM
stace
Rennlist Member

I replaced mine at about 65K miles but the concensus of the RL community is they are getting shot after about 40K. there are a number of theories about why Porsche put them on US cars but the folks who post here and are regarded as experts have consistently recommended not using Monroes. Mine didn't overtly fail but the difference in handling was night and day. just my experience and one of the many benefits of RL!! There are many on this board infinitely more knowledgeable about this subject than me....
Old 04-21-2010, 02:02 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

When mix matching springs to shocks.
M033 springs work well with the Monroe valving
M030 springs and bars are great with the Bilstien HD's

In my opinion when you go vice versa the rates/valving seems off for the intended aplication of that spring.

I had PSS-9's with RS adjustable bars on my last 993 and loved them. Firm and bouncy but payed out in the corners.

I drove another Rennlisters car a few months ago that had Bilstien HD's with the M030 bars and springs that seemed like a nice spot between M033 and PSS-9's.

I think asking suspension advice is close to asking how much salt you should put on your fries. Try to drive other peoples cas in your area.
Old 04-21-2010, 03:01 AM
bmoondog
8th Gear

Calvin,

Yes, I agree asking suspension questions is very vague and you are asking for an opinion. Since it is my daily car, most to work and back. And then the drive to the airport 3 days a week, I really just feel that the car is starting to feel even more loose, or old, would like the new car ride. Does that make sense.

The PSS10s I know are not the right setup for me, just because of cost. I am not cheap, but know I do not need that kind of performance.

I plan on stopping by Black Forrest in San Diego to get their recommendation.

Cheers,

Brett
Old 04-21-2010, 03:26 AM
CalvinC4S
Drifting

Hey Brett, That wasn't meant to be rude. Hope it didn't sound that way.

Another thing to consider is that firmer suspension is going to cause more pop's/creaks in your top.

Is your car still US ride height?

If so, maybe M033 would be a good upgrade as it would restore that new car feel and bring the ride height to where it is supposed to be. Still sporty and the new OEM 993 feel.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:01 PM
grappamon
Rennlist Member

I would highly recomend Black Forest. They service my BMW and Porsche and have never steered me wrong.

Interestingly my front struts were replaced @ 30k miles by the previous owner and I thought that was odd. I believe they are the OEM monroes and I don't know what springs are on it but it does appear to sit a little lower than US spec. Maybe it's my imagination, I've never measured the hight.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:25 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CalvinC4S

Another thing to consider is that firmer suspension is going to cause more pop's/creaks in your top.

If so, maybe M033 would be a good upgrade as it would restore that new car feel and bring the ride height to where it is supposed to be. Still sporty and the new OEM 993 feel.
+1 M033 is a nice middle ground. I have these on my cab and like it over the M030 for a street-only car.
Old 04-21-2010, 12:33 PM
bmoondog
8th Gear

Calvin,

No offense taken, love the information. I found another thread that has hit all my questions.

I am going MO33 and Bilstein HD. I will get a quote from Black Forrest next week.

Thanks for all the help,

Brett
Old 04-22-2010, 11:30 AM
M. Schneider
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 72 Likes on 59 Posts

When mix matching springs to shocks.
M033 springs work well with the Monroe valving
M030 springs and bars are great with the Bilstien HD's

In my opinion when you go vice versa the rates/valving seems off for the intended aplication of that spring.

I had PSS-9's with RS adjustable bars on my last 993 and loved them. Firm and bouncy but payed out in the corners.

I drove another Rennlisters car a few months ago that had Bilstien HD's with the M030 bars and springs that seemed like a nice spot between M033 and PSS-9's.

I think asking suspension advice is close to asking how much salt you should put on your fries. Try to drive other peoples cas in your area.
To the OP, I couldn't agree more with CalvinC4S. My '98 had the Porsche Euro spec. M033 suspension, Monroe shocks and all installed back in 2001. Here we are 9 years later and about 40k miles and the M033 mit Monroe's suits my dailey driver 993 purpose just fine. My 993C2S rides on its stock 17" Cup II wheels and all...

All that said, when the Monroe shocks give out the replacement will be the B6 Bilstein mono tube arrangement. In the USA its called the HD Bilstein.
I have a Bilstein BTS 5056J kit (springs and B6 struts/shocks) on a MY06 Subaru Outback XT wagon and you wouldn't beleive the shock/strut valving & coil spring combo; its freaking magic...

My .02 is for a dailey driver 993 setup, the M033 w/Monroe shock is an easy choice to make. Now,,,, to much salt on French Fry's is a good thing.
Old 04-24-2010, 01:34 AM
chaoscreature
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Forest and Mirage are the two most preffered shops for alignments in San Diego. Both have loyal customers and are PCA sponsors. Mirage uses the old school string methods and Jae Lee really takes his time when setting up 993 suspensions.
Black Forest has several VERY experienced technitians and uses a more sophisticated (not necessarily better) system.
If you haven't been to both of the shops, I would pay both of them a visit.
There are several 993's at the AX every month at Qualcomm (mine's the only all stock one). Most of them run the PSS9 or PSS10 setups. Swing by next time we are running (May 15th) or attend the Tour this Sunday (April 25th). There will be at least two 993's there.
Hope to see you at an event!
- Peter
Old 04-24-2010, 11:13 AM
johzev
Rennlist Member

Anyone have a combination of M033 and new Koni adjustable yet? I just installed this past winter the M033/Monroe package from Sunset. I decided that the Bilstein HD's would be too stiff for my liking but wonder if the Koni set all the way soft would have been a better choice than the Monroe. My use is strictly weekend road trips, no track. Not that I would change now but in retrospect wondering if Koni's would have been a better choice than Monroe with M033.

Quick Reply: 98 993 Struts and shocks