Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which exhaust tip for a C4s (Widebody) ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Which exhaust tip for a C4s (Widebody) ?

Does anyone have any experience with the following...?

http://www.automotion.com/find.asp?m...st+tip&x=0&y=0
Old 04-19-2010, 12:46 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the factory big ovals on my C4s.
Carrenewal (Gert) sell them:http://www.carnewal.com/. They are about $650.00 for the pair. Look under exhausts / P96/ Big ovals for details

You might check with Sunset Porsche too: http://www.sunsetimports.com/parts/
Attached Images  
Old 04-19-2010, 02:07 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+2 on getting the big ovals from Gert.

fwiw, I once had a pair of aftermarket like the ones you posted on Automotion. They were around $250, iirc. After a month or so, the weld broke on one of them and it rattled incessantly at idle.

P93 Oval Exhaust Tips
Different version available for :
P93 Turbo
P93 narrow body
P93 wide body
Price : 495 Euro/pair.
105mm wide from side to side, chrome plated.
These tips replace the original exhaust tips.
New stainless steel hardware comes with the tips.
Factory parts.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:31 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys, I checked out Gert's tips and thought it was a bit pricey (I do like Gert's products - top notch). I ended up getting these instead...

http://shop.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/9...ess-Steel.html
Old 04-19-2010, 03:03 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Good luck with those. They are the very ones that I had before I bought the factory ones from Gert. They are junk. Sorry, no offense, but you get what you paid for (I guess there's a reason they're $100 off right now.)

I'll send you mine for free, if you pay for the shipping and if you can tolerate the noise they'll make after the welds break even further. Seriously, you can have them. There's a reason they don't cost much (in the Porsche world of value.)
Old 04-19-2010, 03:11 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Oh crikey! Yikes, maybe I can still cancel the order. How strange, I was wondering which ones you had problems with. Murphy's law always wins I guess.

Seriously, don't these have a warranty? could you have sent them back?

Originally Posted by Canyon56
Good luck with those. They are the very ones that I had before I bought the factory ones from Gert. They are junk. Sorry, no offense, but you get what you paid for (I guess there's a reason they're $100 off right now.)

I'll send you mine for free, if you pay for the shipping and if you can tolerate the noise they'll make after the welds break even further. Seriously, you can have them. There's a reason they don't cost much (in the Porsche world of value.)
Old 04-19-2010, 03:12 PM
grahampeterm
Racer

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

Tubi tips on mine - along with their mufflers!

Graham
Old 04-19-2010, 03:23 PM
Sachin Misra
Addict
Rennlist Member

Called FVD, they have a 2 year warranty on them. I guess I'll give them a shot and see what happens. The rep said to hold on to the invoice and they will replace them no questions asked if any welds break (said it was a rare occurrence)
Old 04-19-2010, 03:46 PM
bart1
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I paid $50 on RL for my big oval copies and have had no issues.

The shiny Tubis are sexy
Old 04-19-2010, 06:44 PM
air eater
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Canyon56

you ALWAYS get what you pay for.
Old 04-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Sachin Misra
Oh crikey! Yikes, maybe I can still cancel the order. How strange, I was wondering which ones you had problems with. Murphy's law always wins I guess.

Seriously, don't these have a warranty? could you have sent them back?
Several vendors sell those exact tips. I would have sent them back but after a few weeks I scraped the bottoms of them on a steep driveway (it was ever so slightly but you can see a tiny scrape on the bottoms.) Despite the fact that the welds broke before that ever happened, I figured I'd have a hard time convincing them that I didn't create the problem. I just chalked it up to experience and won't go 'cheap' anymore for the 993.

Originally Posted by Sachin Misra
Called FVD, they have a 2 year warranty on them. I guess I'll give them a shot and see what happens. The rep said to hold on to the invoice and they will replace them no questions asked if any welds break (said it was a rare occurrence)
I just wanted to warn you. I don't think the quality is very good (outside of them rattling.) But they are inexpensive (again, in the "Porsche world.") The fact that they even said it was a "rare occurrence" says to me that it has happened to other customers at some point.

Anyway, hope they work for you and that you like the way they look. And that they don't ever end up rattling.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:21 PM
bart1
Race Car

Oh, and FD Motorsports sells inexpensive tips, which I am sure they would stand behind. You don't hav to spend $600 for exhaus tips, methinks.
Old 04-19-2010, 10:33 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

That's right, FD's exhaust tips are a great option for NBs.

But the OP is looking for WB tips. I was too, and Darin was still in development on the WB version. And still not yet available. Hopefully someday soon.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:59 AM
bart1
Race Car

Yeah, I do appreciate the fact that the WB tips are different and more scarce than NBs. I sold some DACH-R widebody mufflers for less than OEM tips a while back, though!

Quick Reply: Which exhaust tip for a C4s (Widebody) ?