Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

KW + RS sways ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 08:06 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

guys, here's my DIY guide including how to get that damm front bar out !

I got some custom brackets made although I may opt for FD's links in time, they sound great:

http://www.jackals-forge.com/lotus/
Old 05-24-2010, 09:53 AM
alexl911
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Hi Jackel,

Great posting... I'm about to do the same upgrade. Can you tell me were you sourced the parts (form the UK)? The RS sway bar kit is 995euro+vat so not that much more than what you paid?

Thanks!
Alex
Old 05-24-2010, 10:02 AM
jackal2513
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hiya Alex
i got my parts through GTone in chertsey with a 10% discount
Old 06-03-2010, 02:18 AM
Thatcher
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

here are some pictures of my custom tarret rear adjustable, bent drop links. Also a picture of my front tarett adjustable links. can anyone tell me if the front drop link angle looks normal?? Seems like it should be straight up and down like the rears.. anyone??
Attached Images    
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Thatcher, The rear links look good.

AS for the front, looks like a little too much angle on the bottom one, I used the thicker washer between the swaybar and the rod-end, moves it out the thickness of the washer.
Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM
Thatcher
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Good idea, thanks Steven I'll throw in a washer
Old 06-16-2010, 03:19 AM
alexl911
Pro

Any update on the special FD droplinks?
Old 06-16-2010, 11:13 AM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Any update on the special FD droplinks?
Alex, I just replied to your email.

These things always take longer than we think to develop... things seem simple enough at first but the clearances are tight! as usual on these cars.

Steven, do those drop links allow adjustment in all 3 settings on the RS bar? Specifically, the stiffest?
Old 06-17-2010, 11:57 AM
trophy
Race Car

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Hey Mark,

To be honest I haven't checked if they will make full stiff on the bar. As I am running TRG bars the middle hole is stiffer than RS bars at full stiff. The balance I have in my car right now doesn't warrant full stiff rear.

I will be going over the car this weekend so I will have a look. It may be a tight fit at full stiff. I know with ERP or Tarret toe links it would get full stiff no problems.
Old 08-13-2010, 01:59 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts
Default XL "RS" Drop Links

Update on our XL "RS" rear Drop Links for KW (and some others) coilovers:

They are now available!

We have already shipped some sets and have more on hand. We're not sure how much need there is out there so we will do our best to supply them as quickly as we can...

Stainless Steel Construction
Stainless Steel Rod Ends
Stainless Steel Hardware (cone spacers are cad plated)
Include rubber dust boots

$180/pair

They aren't on our web site yet so if you need a set, email us at fdmotorsports@comcast.net

Mark
Attached Images   
Old 08-13-2010, 03:05 PM
alexl911
Pro

Hi Mark,

Sorry about not posting my 'review' of these new drop links earlier but I've been crazy busy and you know that I only got them a few days before my big trip to the Nurburgring. (See my new avatar )

According to my master Porsche mechanic there were no issues with the installation and they should fit all the settings on my OEM RS sways. It's difficult to comment on their performance in isolation. What I can say is that in combination with the RS sways and new bushings the cars handling is in a whole new league. I'm using KW Club Sport struts and with the original sway bars, there was far too much lose body roll, which has now been completely cured.

The construction of the drop link is top notch and well worth the money compared to other parts. In addition the service from Mark and his team at FD is by far the best I have received since starting my upgrade project.

If you are in the market for a new suspension and planning on using KW's V3's at RS ride height, this is the only real solution for you. However, you should also be aware that KW does offer an 'RS' fitment strut, which will allow you to use OE RS drop links (I was told this after I had my V3 upgraded to Club Sports at the KW factory here in Germany). If I would have known this before I started I would have gone this route instead of V3/club sports which fit standard C2's but in the end I was lucky that FD came out with a solution just in the nick of time!

Thanks Mark!
Old 08-13-2010, 04:07 PM
FD Motorsports
Former Vendor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by alexl911
Hi Mark,

Sorry about not posting my 'review' of these new drop links earlier but I've been crazy busy and you know that I only got them a few days before my big trip to the Nurburgring. (See my new avatar )

According to my master Porsche mechanic there were no issues with the installation and they should fit all the settings on my OEM RS sways. It's difficult to comment on their performance in isolation. What I can say is that in combination with the RS sways and new bushings the cars handling is in a whole new league. I'm using KW Club Sport struts and with the original sway bars, there was far too much lose body roll, which has now been completely cured.

The construction of the drop link is top notch and well worth the money compared to other parts. In addition the service from Mark and his team at FD is by far the best I have received since starting my upgrade project.

If you are in the market for a new suspension and planning on using KW's V3's at RS ride height, this is the only real solution for you. However, you should also be aware that KW does offer an 'RS' fitment strut, which will allow you to use OE RS drop links (I was told this after I had my V3 upgraded to Club Sports at the KW factory here in Germany). If I would have known this before I started I would have gone this route instead of V3/club sports which fit standard C2's but in the end I was lucky that FD came out with a solution just in the nick of time!

Thanks Mark!
No sweat!

I'm just glad we can now say "Tested on the Nurburgring"...
maybe we should get some little stickers made like Bilstein has on their shocks/struts?

Glad it all worked out
Old 09-29-2016, 01:49 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Resurrecting this thread... Have any new products become available to allow the use of RS rear sways with KW shocks...? Any issues for those that that have been running this setup long term.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:10 PM
GBX
Rennlist Member

Received 268 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul M
Resurrecting this thread... Have any new products become available to allow the use of RS rear sways with KW shocks...? Any issues for those that that have been running this setup long term.
My turn to give it a shot.

I have KW V3's on my car and am considering upgrading sway bars. Anyone know if there is still an issue installing RS rear bars with KW coils? If so, is FD still making these drop links?
Old 06-27-2017, 07:51 PM
Paul M
POACB
Rennlist Member

Received 18 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Jason, FD no longer offer them. I ended up going with the tarett links.

Quick Reply: KW + RS sways ?