Sponsored by:

Installed the Fister short shift kit & golden rod -AWESOME

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 06:34 PM
zschicago
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Installed the Fister short shift kit & golden rod -AWESOME

I installed the Fister short shift kit and golden rod over the weekend. I cant stop smiling. This is the way this car should have been. Short precise shifts. No play or rubbery feel that I had before. I highly recommend this. One thing to Note: be careful when removing old parts -make sure you put the 4 plastic bearings in a safe place. They are not easy to find. Darin hit a home run with this.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:54 PM
Paul K
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ZS:

+1 on the Golden Rod.

But make sure you measure the length of your original shift rod and adjust the new one to match! I didn't and had to go through the whole thing again to adjust it.

No idea on the short shift, mine is a C4!

Cheers,

Paul.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:49 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul K
ZS:

+1 on the Golden Rod.

But make sure you measure the length of your original shift rod and adjust the new one to match! I didn't and had to go through the whole thing again to adjust it.

No idea on the short shift, mine is a C4!

Cheers,

Paul.
Good tip! yep, the RS Shift rod and our Golden Rod are about 1/4" longer and require adjustment of the front rod. We aren't entirely sure why Porsche made the RS rod a bit longer but we replicated it so there you go.

We do have a low clearance SSK for the AWD cars which drastically minimizes the modification of the tunnel cover. There was some talk of it over on the 993 turbo forum a while back.

Same price as the regular SSK

Glad you like it Zane!

Old 04-15-2010, 11:42 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Hey Darin. My birthday is May 1st.

chuck
Old 04-17-2010, 12:08 PM
FD Motorsports
Rennlist
Basic Site Sponsor

Received 89 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by csertich
Hey Darin. My birthday is May 1st.

chuck
Ok, Chuck. Since you've let the birthday cat out of the bag, I'm going to let you in on a little secret. You will have it by your birthday.

Darin
Attached Images      
Old 04-17-2010, 03:36 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FD Motorsports

We do have a low clearance SSK for the AWD cars which drastically minimizes the modification of the tunnel cover. There was some talk of it over on the 993 turbo forum a while back.

Same price as the regular SSK
Darin- I didn't see it listed on the website... Am I looking in the wrong place? Would you happen to have the turbo forum thread link? I assume they discuss what kind of modification needs to be done on the tunnel cover? Thanks....

ZS- Enjoy the mod!! I look fwd to getting rid of the sloppy rubbery shifts myself.
Old 04-17-2010, 04:59 PM
TURBO-951
Racer

Just ordered mine, should be here next week some time. Stage III's and the golden rod is a must !! Great company to do business with ! 1000% SATISFACTION !
Old 04-17-2010, 05:52 PM
96PorscheTwinTurbo
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by TURBO-951
Just ordered mine, should be here next week some time. Stage III's and the golden rod is a must !! Great company to do business with ! 1000% SATISFACTION !
Ditto. Turbo Sports are being shipped back to me this next week per Darin and I'm in line for the golden rod and SSK. Excellent!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jungleboy
Darin- I didn't see it listed on the website... Am I looking in the wrong place? Would you happen to have the turbo forum thread link? I assume they discuss what kind of modification needs to be done on the tunnel cover? Thanks....

ZS- Enjoy the mod!! I look fwd to getting rid of the sloppy rubbery shifts myself.
My fault... since I am the "webmaster"...
it will be on the site soon. I have a few pics, just need to add it.

There are a few threads on the forum but none really cover the modfication with our SSK. The threads there show the mod and all are pretty "extreme" compared to using our low profile SSK for the AWD cars.

Here is one RLer (Basal Skull) who made his own tunnel cover. His pics give you an idea of mod required to the tunnel cover. It isn't much. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
There are a couple of pics on the 2nd page of that thread that show the difference between the FDM SSK and the standard RS lever installed. Please read the posts carefully so it is clear which is which.

This stuff can be confusing for those not intimately familiar with the shift mechanisms on these cars...
Any questions, let us know!
Old 04-17-2010, 06:13 PM
csertich
Addict
Rennlist Member

Looks awesome Darin! Nice work. Thanks! I 'extracted' a Porsche crest off another old Amco shift know I had. I'm ready!

I actually meant to send this as a PM....

chuck
Old 04-17-2010, 06:23 PM
shldrdoc993
Advanced

I agree, great upgrade from Darin and FDM, I installed the 993 RS shifter at same time. Goldenrod a must addition.
Old 04-17-2010, 11:26 PM
Martin S.
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 349 Posts
Smile I am such a "mark" for FD Motorsports...

I have the SSK, the Platinum rod as well as the Stage III muffs, all incredible products. Thanks to FD Motorsports. I had better get up to their web site and see what else they have for sale for me!
Old 04-17-2010, 11:33 PM
jungleboy
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MarkD
My fault... since I am the "webmaster"...
it will be on the site soon. I have a few pics, just need to add it.

There are a few threads on the forum but none really cover the modfication with our SSK. The threads there show the mod and all are pretty "extreme" compared to using our low profile SSK for the AWD cars.

Here is one RLer (Basal Skull) who made his own tunnel cover. His pics give you an idea of mod required to the tunnel cover. It isn't much. https://rennlist.com/forums/showthre...ferrerid=35947
There are a couple of pics on the 2nd page of that thread that show the difference between the FDM SSK and the standard RS lever installed. Please read the posts carefully so it is clear which is which.

This stuff can be confusing for those not intimately familiar with the shift mechanisms on these cars...
Any questions, let us know!
Hey thanks for the link Mark. I look fwd to seeing your pics.

Quick Reply: Installed the Fister short shift kit & golden rod -AWESOME