ship4u
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default convertible top repair

Has anyone had any experience with repairing a small cut (less than 1
inch long) in a convertible top? The rag top on my 993 has developed
a small cut on each side near the rear most rib of the top frame. I
can reach the underneath of the cut from the inside of the car, so a
glue patch would be possible if it would work.

I noticed that on both sides, the rubber protectors have come off the
top frame, leaving the metal frame exposed, and likely causing the
damage. I need to address the issue before it gets any worse.

Also, does anyone know how to get those rubber frame protectors to stay on?

I tried to include some photos but I could not seem to get it to work. They seemed to "upload" but now I can't find them....hmmm.

All the best,
Don
95 cab

Last edited by ship4u; 04-12-2010 at 08:07 PM. Reason: add photos
Old 04-12-2010, 08:31 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

I did it on three spots. Get some fabric from an upholstery shop and patch it from the inside. I used some automotive glue which is now holding for 3.5 years.

To the pics. Just open an account at photobucket.com and just include the image code into the posting.
Old 04-12-2010, 09:20 PM
95cab
Instructor

If this is what I think it is, the primary cause is within the frame. There is a frame piece on a hinge that folds back when the top goes down. Two elastic bands provide the force to pull this piece back. Its function is to push the fabric toward the back of the car so that it does not get caught on two pins (one on each side) that are part of the frame. When the elastic wears out, this frame arm doesn't get pulled back, and the top fabric rests between two parts of the folded frame with the pin firmly against the fabric. You can replace the elastics or just push the arm back while the top is going down (my technique). As far as fixing the cuts, they will likely reappear if the problem is as I described. Good luck.
Old 04-12-2010, 11:04 PM
JPS
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I used a fiberglass fabric patch on the inside with silicone glue from the inside. On the outside I put painters tape and then magnets above and below so it stuck together well for a day or so with the top not latched.
Old 04-13-2010, 03:53 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is an issue with MY94 and MY95 cabs. The pins are pinching the canvas cloth and eventually wear a hole...if you don't fix the elastic, any fix will just be temporary as the pins will contact the repaired area.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:08 PM
e9stibi
Drifting

Received 31 Likes on 22 Posts

And MY96 which is mine.
Old 04-13-2010, 04:33 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

I used duct tape as a temporary fix on my MY95. I had originally used a boat canvas repair kit, but the patches didn't like the bending after the glue cured, so I slapped a couple pieces of tape on the underside to try and prevent further breakage of the canvas top until I am ready to replace it (which will be in the near future).
Old 04-13-2010, 05:37 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 57 Posts

Do we know part numbers for elastic straps? I think my top guy replaced them on my previous cab, the new cab's roof doesn't fold as nicely.

Also, as most of you probably know, shorter pins are part of latch motor recall.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:55 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts

1) I used OE samples from the convertible top manufacturers that provide new tops for Porsches and glued with E-6000 clear adhesive which I found at a hobby store that is waterproof, flexible and great strong adhesive.....sort of like a thin silicone in nature. The patches have been in place for over 10 years. Bought at craft chain store - Michaels.

2) I have had the typical 993 canvas cab top scuff areas, which eventually shred at the points at the rear top corners of the roof on each side of window and have actually used a 1/4 inch X 1 inch small color matching patch on these areas with the same adhesive product and solved that issue. In place 5 years. Through rain and snow and the patch is flexible. Has prolonged need for new top.
Old 04-13-2010, 07:28 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Originally Posted by abiazis
1) I used OE samples from the convertible top manufacturers that provide new tops for Porsches and glued with E-6000 clear adhesive which I found at a hobby store that is waterproof, flexible and great strong adhesive.....sort of like a thin silicone in nature. The patches have been in place for over 10 years. Bought at craft chain store - Michaels.
The E-6000 adhesive sounds like a great product. I'm not sure that I can get access to OE samples. Any other thoughts for a strong compatible patch material?

Can someone give more details on replacing those elastic straps? That's most likely what I need to address.

I'm sure glad to hear that I may be able to buy some time before needing to replace the top.....hey, 10 years sounds wonderful.

Thanks for the great responses!

Best regards,
Don
Gotta love this group!
Old 04-13-2010, 09:09 PM
sinclair28739
1st Gear

I'm looking for a new rag top for 1997-993 I'm in Western NC. Can anyone get me hooked up where I can find one.
Old 04-13-2010, 09:15 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

abiazis, could you post a pic or two of the rear "shoulder" area patches?
Old 04-13-2010, 10:25 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 705 Likes on 515 Posts
Default Extending life of top past typical expected 7 years - 993

1) I had a top repairer in NJ replace my elastic material for bar that pushes top back to avoid puncturing roof with "pins" for about $ 60 about 10 years ago. He had to reglue the top's canvas inner liner to the elastic strap across the roof in some fashion to do the job.....took about 1 hour......lasted about 5 years......now I just open the top halfway, push the bar back myself from the side to avoid pin puncture issue........I used sailboat clear tape on the inside of the canvas top where pins would hit for insurance.....previous owner not so careful and created two holes on one side of my top....I have been able to maintain the size of the tears with the clear tape........better than duct tape from apearance standpoint, plus no heat issue with glue.........

2) A photo is attached of the patch job on top's rear shoulders, which you can't do from the inside...I got the patch material from the companies that sell tops for the 993 and asked them for swatch samples to match which are about 2x2 inches.....color matches pretty well and from 5-10 feet you can't see the patch that well......looks like it belongs.....

3) There are a couple of tension tears from the repeated years of roof operation that I also used the clear sailboat tape on the inside. The tears are about halfway down the side sections of the top....material was fraying....patches on outside with 1 by 1 patch to strength the spot from further canvas tearing/fraying..............

Last edited by abiazis; 09-11-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 04-14-2010, 12:03 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Thanks!

Quite honestly I can't see the patches other that one about 1' x 3" smack in the middle of the picture. I have two fairly large patches outside on teh new car and they are separating (ungluing). I'm trying to figure out how to best re-do them as teh rest of the top is actually pretty good for now.

Old 04-14-2010, 12:56 AM
David in LA
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sinclair28739
I'm looking for a new rag top for 1997-993 I'm in Western NC. Can anyone get me hooked up where I can find one.
There are a couple sellers on ebay but I bought mine from Veteran Company in Los Angeles. Very good quality, comes with a new headliner, made with German canvas, and has a stitched rear window rather than just glued like the factory top. I think it was $600 or $700 at the time. Also source leather for interior projects from them which was reasonably price for 1/2 a hide.

Quick Reply: convertible top repair