Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

convertible top repair

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 09:35 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Received 770 Likes on 561 Posts

To Nile13.....the E-6000 adhesive has worked great for me through winter, sun and rain.......I just applied to patch stuck it on with no pressure and it works great....flexible, durable and waterproof....you can buy it at Michael's craft store - a chain
Old 04-14-2010, 10:42 AM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 60 Posts

I will definitely stop at Michaels and try to find E-6000.

the issue with adhesive in that particular part of the car, though, is that the roof bends right there when it folds. Would be great if E-6000 is flexible enough to take all that bending.
Old 04-15-2010, 12:27 AM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

I have had NO issues at any of the flex points were I have patched to give you some confidence...good luck with the reinforcements!!
Old 04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
ship4u
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abiazis
To Nile13.....the E-6000 adhesive has worked great for me through winter, sun and rain.......I just applied to patch stuck it on with no pressure and it works great....flexible, durable and waterproof....you can buy it at Michael's craft store - a chain
Winter? Do you really have a winter down there in Atlanta? Just kidding. However, I did notice on the tube of E-6000 that it is rated to a low of 40 degrees. Since we get winter temps below zero up here on the north coast, I was wondering if serious cold weather will affect the adhesion quality.

I remember when I replaced the rag top on my old Mercedes SL, they advised using DAP Weldwood Contact Cement. But, that stuff is very messy.

All the best,
Don
Old 04-15-2010, 06:53 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Actually, from here: http://www.michaels.com/art/online/d...ductNum=gc0181

TEMPERATURE RECOMMENDATIONS/LIMITATIONS: Performs best when applied at 70 to 85 degrees F. When fully cured, product can withstand temperatures between –40 and 150 degrees F.
Old 04-16-2010, 12:25 AM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, as my top appears to be coming apart more, I went and ordered a new one... Now just need to find an installer in the Chicago area--any recommendations?
Old 04-16-2010, 11:00 AM
ship4u
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nile13
When fully cured, product can withstand temperatures between –40 and 150 degrees F.
Aha, thanks for clearing that up. I missed that minus sign!
Old 04-16-2010, 12:23 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

Wink Winter durability

Thanks for exact specs on E-6000 adhesive......I had the car in Asheville,NC this winter parked outside (under a cover sometimes, sometimes not) and the patches held up great....temps were in the 20's overnight at times with the snow, etc...took the car to NJ where it was colder and no issues with durability, etc....

Main thing is that I wanted to squeeze out a few more years on the top when I did the patches and the scuff wears at the shoulders concerned me that the top was now finally toast...........we'll see how much more I can elongate....

Being retired makes me watch the pennies more I guess!!
Old 04-16-2010, 02:18 PM
Andre'
Instructor

Check:

www.gahh.com

Had mine redone 3 years ago. OEM fabric, excellent quality/fit, complete with headliner and installation for around $1,600. Cost @ Porsche I recall around $12K. But I couldn't imagine to put patches on my top! It's a Porsche, not a VW Rabbit...
Old 04-16-2010, 04:20 PM
nile13
Addict
Rennlist Member

Gahh is a good company, but there several small odd issues with their tops. One of them is that zipper for the windblocker runs in the wrong direction vs. the OEM top. They do supply a new piece of material to attach to the windblocker and it has the other half of that zipper... great, but my installer and myself could not figure out how to replace that piece without destroying windblocker. Ended up sawing the new piece to the old one.

the Gahh top's window would also slightly distort near the top.
Old 04-16-2010, 11:11 PM
abiazis
Rennlist Member

My rule will be to cover the 2 shoulder scuff areas with a 1/4 inch by 1 inch patches on each side, as they are barely noticeable and actually look like they belong there and if any other areas require a patch on the outside, go for the new top.............
Old 04-17-2010, 12:07 AM
Andre'
Instructor

Gahh is a good company, but there several small odd issues with their tops. One of them is that zipper for the windblocker runs in the wrong direction vs. the OEM top. They do supply a new piece of material to attach to the windblocker and it has the other half of that zipper... great, but my installer and myself could not figure out how to replace that piece without destroying windblocker. Ended up sawing the new piece to the old one.

Can't confirm the issue with the zipper on mine - running in the correct direction. Could be 2 or 3 links longer though... Other than that the top is great!
Old 08-11-2010, 05:04 PM
blueskycustom
1st Gear

Having been in the convertible top replacement business for many years, GAHH does make the best tops around for Porsche. We have never had problems with zippers, the windows creasing, etc with their tops. Professional installation also makes a huge difference in the fit of a top over a backyard mechanic (you'll even find variations from one professional to another...we see a ton of poorly installed tops at car shows that were done professionally).

Old 08-11-2010, 05:26 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Nice plug. Perhaps you should consider becoming a member before peddling your services.... just sayin'
Old 08-11-2010, 07:28 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Same issue with mine.

Reason to convert top to manual so you can fold it correctly and not pinch top.

Quick Reply: convertible top repair