Sponsored by: DashLynx

Hollow spoke question

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 02:41 PM
cmat
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hollow spoke question

I was tweaking tire pressures on my car after its winter hibernation (I do drive it some when roads are dry so I don't pump them up high to avoid flat spots) and had a thought. My pressures seem to have stayed more constant over time compared to other cars. Could that be because the total volume of air in the tire includes the hollow spoke volume so it is greater for the same size tire than with a normal wheel? If this is not the case, wouldn't it be a good idea if it did? ......just wondering.
Old 04-12-2010, 02:50 PM
VNTGSPD
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IIRC, the hollow spokes do not share air with the tire. The spokes may be hollow, but they are also completely enclosed.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:34 PM
cmat
Racer

Thanks. I guess is there was a good reason to connect the air in the hollow spokes to the tire, Porsche would have done it.
Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by VNTGSPD
IIRC, the hollow spokes do not share air with the tire. The spokes may be hollow, but they are also completely enclosed.
This is true. I had an intersting experience when i pulled the valve stems out of my hollow spokes the other day. When I unscrewed the nut on the stem, and disturbed the rubber gasket, a tiny amount of air escaped. I wonder if there isn't some porosity that allows air pressure in the spokes? Or there was just different barometric pressures when the valve stems were installed from when I removed them. Obviously there was no tire on the rim at the time, but there was pressure in the wheel itself
Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's right, no air from the tires in the spokes themselves. You don't want them open because you don't want water (condensation) and any crud getting in the spokes. The crud would spin around in the spokes and get stuck, throwing off wheel balance making the wheel useless. I have a set from a 996TT that was refinished and crud somehow got inside the valve stem opening on one of them during the refinishing; the wheel had to be replaced as it was impossible to balance it.
Old 04-13-2010, 10:01 AM
H.H.Chinn
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Porsche hollow spokes are filled with exotische luft von Leipzig making them extra light.
Old 04-13-2010, 11:26 AM
cmat
Racer

I'll bet that Porsche looked into that.
Old 04-13-2010, 05:56 PM
vincer77
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Now I remember long ago reading that the 959 hollow spoke wheels did actually have hollow spokes opening through the rim. Is this not true?
Old 04-13-2010, 06:26 PM
cmat
Racer

I did a little search on the 959 and you are correct sir. There was indeed extra air in the spokes for the tires. This must be where I got the idea. You can read about it here: http://auto.howstuffworks.com/porsche-959-history.htm
Old 04-13-2010, 09:52 PM
Augustus Davies

Originally Posted by DanQ
This is true. I had an intersting experience when i pulled the valve stems out of my hollow spokes the other day. When I unscrewed the nut on the stem, and disturbed the rubber gasket, a tiny amount of air escaped. I wonder if there isn't some porosity that allows air pressure in the spokes? Or there was just different barometric pressures when the valve stems were installed from when I removed them. Obviously there was no tire on the rim at the time, but there was pressure in the wheel itself
That tiny amount of air you heard escaping was actually helium. Porsche does this at the factory...after it leaks out it can't be filled again...
Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Boston911fan
Pro

I have hollow spokes on my VW New Beetle Cabriolet and find that you almost never have to add air because they seal so well with the tire.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:07 PM
nippy
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

I also recently refinished my hollows and when I pulled the valve stems ,allot of air came out of the wheels.

LOl,just realized how old this post is,oh well.

Quick Reply: Hollow spoke question