Sponsored by:

ebay high bidder-success...kinda

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 04:44 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default well...

would I take the car at $35,3K...you damn right I would. You folks know what the average asking price is for a 35k mile 98 C4S-he's got a buy it now for $54K on the ebay relisting.

I called ebay last night, called because I was unable after numerous attempts to report the listing via the site, failed. I talked to someone from another country(India maybe)-based on the HEAVY accent, and lack of command of the english langauge. They took all the information down, entered it into my user file, as well as the seller's file. They could not share with me any info about the seller, if he had other username's, etc.

Anyway, if I thought there was anyway the dealership would sell me the car at $35k-I'd be on my way with a rollback.

I hesitate to leave the guy negitive feedback-since I really don't imagine that would make much difference.

So, it served for amusement purposes only yesterday.

In the beginning of my 993 search, I debated all my choices-C2 vs C4, C2S vs C4S, color, options, mod's. While I would certainly prefer a C4S with mods, records, and heated seats...I truely believe that my car will kinda find me.

Don't get me wrong, I spend a ridiculous amount of time daily searching the market. My price range is the limiting factor really. If I wanted to spend $50-60K, I'd have my choice of every color C4S out there...there certainly isn't a shortage of those cars available at the moment. So, when the right car comes along, C2, C2S, C4, or C4S, when it's in my price range, and it has all the trappings-records/mods/etc...I'll know.

In a perfect world, I'd find the perfect car, at the perfect price. However, I realize the world isn't a perfect place, at least in my world it ain't. I imagine my first 993 won't be my exact first choice, but I'm confident it will be the perfect car for me.

So, I wait, and I watch...
Old 04-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Academictech
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Magdaddy
purposes only yesterday.

While I would certainly prefer a C4S with mods, records, and heated seats...I truely believe that my car will kinda find me.

In a perfect world, I'd find the perfect car, at the perfect price. However, I realize the world isn't a perfect place, at least in my world it ain't. I imagine my first 993 won't be my exact first choice, but I'm confident it will be the perfect car for me.

So, I wait, and I watch...
Well said. With that attitude the right car will find you.

Focus on the goal not the missed shots and you tend to win
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 PM
larpy
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good things do come around. I looked for some time before finding my car. I researched several other vehicles but in the end I think I got a great deal on a great 993. I had to travel to several states before I found what I wanted but it was worth the adventure. There is a difference between a "deal" and a "steal" and the ebay listing would have been a steal for sure!
Old 04-06-2010, 06:50 PM
DanQ
Pro

Received 157 Likes on 69 Posts

You should leave negative feedback right away. If there was an error in the auction he could have cancelled it before it ended... not much else you can do really.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:51 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

DEFINITELY, leave bad feedback, or leave neutral feedback, & tell your story.

He is a sales person, who can't comprehend the basic price, or reserve of a product he is selling? COME ON, are you that naive? He knew what he was doing. How long did the auction last for? How many times do you think he checked the page to see what it was up to?

When I am selling anything on eBay, I check the auction every day, & some times a couple of times a day. The current auction price is the first thing I check along with how many views it has. This was just a case of greed, & I'm sure he was hoping you would buy the car out side eBay for more $$$.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:26 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

I would NOT leave negative feedback. The seller is an experienced car salesperson and he is doing a no reserve auction under a name that has zero feedback? I venture to guess this is a calculated move in the event the auction doesn't work in his favor. However, the moment you leave negative feedback he can do the same to you.

I fully agree with Academitcech.
Old 04-06-2010, 09:54 PM
CorrdoBrit
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Rules have changed and the seller can't leave negative feedback to prevent such 'reprisals'.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,109 Likes on 1,815 Posts

Originally Posted by CorrdoBrit
Rules have changed and the seller can't leave negative feedback to prevent such 'reprisals'.
Goes to show how long it's been since my last eBay transaction...

Thanks for the info.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:32 PM
Magdaddy
Rennlist Member

Received 270 Likes on 201 Posts
Default to be cont'd

I decided to leave negitive feedback afterall. Shame they only allow you something like 80 characters.

I also emailed the specific's to Ebay for grins and giggles-just as a follow up to the non english speaking ebay rep from last night.

Also, I contacted the seller thru my "You won" ebay email. I advised him that I would be arriving mid morning Friday to inspect the vehicle. Then I would arrange a bank transfer, and take possession of the vehicle.

What can I say, I'm feeling frisky tonite!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:58 PM
mikefo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would not bother leaving feedback on this seller since he obviously just created the account for this sale. He has no history so nothing to loose. He just adds another ebay account and starts over. Big sellers will go to great lengths to keep the sellers feedback positive. This guy has nothing to loose. Call him back and offer $40k for the car contingent on an inspection. Probably still a very good deal for you. Then move on. You gain nothing pissing him off and it's not like he posted a bond with ebay guaranteeing good faith. i don't think you even post a social security # on a listing.
Old 04-07-2010, 03:07 AM
Edgy01
Poseur
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 129 Posts

You have an obligation to leave negative feedback to highlight that this seller doesn't honor a legal contract for sale. No one buys that "my secretary screwed up" line. He screwed up and he deserves negative publicity.

Quick Reply: ebay high bidder-success...kinda