Sponsored by:

ebay high bidder-success...kinda

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 01:37 AM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tjangi
+1 but I think the fee is much more than just a dinner. Ebay fees are huge especially on USD 35 k, lets see if Ebay will let him back out from that. At least report him to Ebay and force him to open a new account.
agree, lots of sellers do not get "their price" & accordingly jump in the bidding and buy their own item....but if he had no reserve must be reported....so if you have "winning advice from e-bay" & he refuses to complete - has to be reported.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:06 AM
993_Pilot
Three Wheelin'

Hey Joe, sorry to hear it didn't work out. Unfortunately, I just went round and round with ebay over a bid that I won of an airbag from "desertracercole", Item number: 300402309882
The seller wouldn't even respond to me and ebay said that there was nothing that they could do since he refunded my money. They told me just to leave negative feedback, so I did.
Just keep the good attitude, don't be in too big of a hurry, and something good will come along.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:44 AM
mongrelcat
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 993_Pilot
The seller wouldn't even respond to me and ebay said that there was nothing that they could do since he refunded my money...
Amazing, but that is the policy:
http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/item-not-received.html
http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Buy...-To/520179527&

I guess I shouldn't ever be surprised by eBay shenanigans. The seller's 0-rating is telling.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:21 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

One of the longest car forum threads in history: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ght=dooma+ebay

The gist of it: a guy from Palos Verde CA bids on new M3 from a dealer in Lincoln NE. No reserve set. Guy gets a great price (back in 2008 when the M3 was first out for that year.) Dealer claims it was a "mistake." BMW fans go crazy, lawyers help out, the automotive press gets wind of it. Dealer is forced (mainly by bad publicity) to follow through with the deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 10:37 AM
jfmiii
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

reading that M3 thread makes me think you should at least spend some time calling, threatening legal action, threatening to contact the BBB, etc. the last thing a small dealer wants is big legal bills.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:03 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by tjangi
+1 but I think the fee is much more than just a dinner. Ebay fees are huge especially on USD 35 k, lets see if Ebay will let him back out from that. At least report him to Ebay and force him to open a new account.
Successfully completed transactions on vehicle sales through Ebay carry a one-time $125 fee. That's it.

But that being said, it'll be fun to see the dealer eat it for failing to honor the contract.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:14 AM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

According to Edmonds, you paid too much. Excellence may also be a good source of value for you.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:27 AM
95 NC 993
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Successfully completed transactions on vehicle sales through Ebay carry a one-time $125 fee. That's it.

But that being said, it'll be fun to see the dealer eat it for failing to honor the contract.
Yes, $125. No way ebay will agree to waive their fee. On the other hand with 'zero' feedback he might just say "see ya" and register under another name.
Old 04-06-2010, 11:39 AM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 555 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 NC 993
Yes, $125. No way ebay will agree to waive their fee. On the other hand with 'zero' feedback he might just say "see ya" and register under another name.
As a seller you have to give Ebay more info - CC, bank account, etc. so I'm pretty sure the seller will be eating the $125. But still, it's small potatoes.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:00 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Let's do this; get the companies email address and the owners/salesman's email address. Post them here and let us do the rest. Some cross postings and we'll bury him with inquiries about this deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

If he isn't going to sell it for that price, then start the auction at a price you will accept!! This is what is killing eBay! Stuff is for sale, you win, then the owner backs out, or the seller backs out. If you don't want it don't bid, if the price is to low & you didn't set a reserve, your the dumb ***!!

Really, if he did say yes, would you have purchased it for $35k? What's the point of a auction if both parties involved are not serious or really care?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:41 PM
95 C4 993
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Jezz----I cant believe some of the sleezeball tactics people are suggesting. The seller made a mistake, the "buyer" is cool with it---end of story.

Put yourself in the sellers shoes.

Ive been on Ebay for 8+ years on Ebay, 220 transactions (buying and selling) and 100% feedback. A couple minor hiccups along the way but Im human, so are other people and I would never take a persons name an exploit it because of a mistake that was made. Never any sleezeball tactics by any means.

Seems like some want to put this seller through the ringer.............with the exception of the "buyer". It would be like a seller figuring out where you work and calling your HR department saying your wasting company time on this forum, being unproductive trying to taint the image of person that have nothing to do with in the first place. Imagine HR coming by your desk or dropping you a line and saying "Are you wasting company time on a forum called Rennlist?" Of course, if you work for yourself, thats another story. :-)
Old 04-06-2010, 02:50 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When it comes to selling cars Ebay is just an advertising tool. Few sales seem to happen within the auction process. Who would buy a car at market price without any due diligence? Thus, Ebay should just rid the Ebay Motors section of any components that make it resemble a real auction.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:00 PM
dcdude
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Stealth 993
Really, if he did say yes, would you have purchased it for $35k? What's the point of a auction if both parties involved are not serious or really care?
+1. Decide: do you really want the car at this price? Otherwise, delete the thread, right?

Originally Posted by 95 C4 993
Jezz----I cant believe some of the sleezeball tactics people are suggesting. The seller made a mistake...Put yourself in the sellers shoes....Never any sleezeball tactics by any means.
Don't be naive. Rather than an Ebay amateur making an honest mistake, this is apparently a very polished car salesman who makes his living listing cars properly. Is there a trade more saturated with sleazeballs than auto retail?

A "no-reserve / no miminum" auction is used deliberately by many sellers to prey upon the greed instinct of many buyers. There's no mistake here. The trick is to know that there are enough buyers out there to bid up every auction every time such as low price / high demand commodities like an iPod or Canon DSLR. A 993 C4S? Probably not the best candidate for no minimum, but hey, he has to live with the results.

As a private amateur, I made a "no minimum" mistake when I sold my Miata on Ebay. I may have left a few hundred bucks on the table, but I figured that my integrity was worth more than that and abided by the auction results.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:03 PM
dbf73
Boost Junkie
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

I don't know about crucifying the seller but I doubt it was an innocent mistake. As a used car dealer, he is no doubt well aware of what a reserve is and what the failure to put a reserve on means. He could have also started the bidding at a level where he is reasonably comfortable. It appears he was using that to draw bids and when it didn't work to his satisfaction, he bailed. Can't have it both ways

Quick Reply: ebay high bidder-success...kinda