Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can't decide, RWD vs 4WD, narrow body vs "S"

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2010, 12:59 AM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

AWD is 150lbs heavier and looses some of the visceral feel compared to the more nimble RWD. In normal driving conditions, the system drives 95% of power to the rear and moves power back to the front only when the front breaks grip. As for performance, the AWD can pull you out of corners faster but the added weight works against you on the straights. No clear benefits/drawbacks..they're just different. AWD is great for the Northwest but I would only buy RWD for SoCal.

As for the WB vs NB decision, if you're bitten by the fat *** bug and can't take your eyes off them, buying a narrow body is a good way to make yourself miserable. Performance wise, I can't see how a 2" wider track in the rear is going to make a noticeable difference to most even at the limit. For me, the decision would be primarily based on looks and I wouldn't compromise, though they are more expensive (but keep their value better) and there are less of them so they harder to find (though they are also more collectible).

FWIW, I've owned both a 993 C2 and a 993 C4S.
Old 04-06-2010, 03:35 AM
thundertk
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get a two wheel drive 993. There is no 'fun' reason to have AWD in a small platform vehicle like a Carrera. I had a 4S and didn't like the extra weight and neutral handling. It may be easier to drive an AWD Carrera but its not as much fun as a 2WD one. If you like the widebody look -who doesn't- then go with a C2S. That's what I did and the car is impressive and more agile than the 4S.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:19 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 868 Likes on 573 Posts

Originally Posted by My993C2
I was under the impression that the C2S was 3" wider than the C2. But if it is only 2", then I stand corrected.
2.44" difference
Old 04-06-2010, 04:24 PM
MarinS4
Rennlist Member

Received 169 Likes on 122 Posts

I agree that the most important factor is getting the best example of whatever model you choose.

Although I have not driven the C2S I have owned a turbo and now a C4S (with turbo conversion). On both cars I have disconnected the front drive shaft to see if I would like a 2WD conversion. On both occasions I opted to reconnect it. The big downside of AWD is under steer. This is easy to correct with alignment and suspension settings. Steering feel is better in the 2WD mode but not enough to out weight the feeling of confidence of the AWD. Another thing I played with is tire size. From the factory the C4S uses smaller tires in the rear to preload the viscous coupler to send some traction to the front. If you size the tires the same the car behaves like a 2WD until the tires spin in the rear. The more tire spin the more power is transferred to the front wheels. The AWD system in the 993 is unlike most other AWD cars. It transfers very little power to the front wheels.

IMHO the C4S offers the most flexibility and having the turbo brakes makes the choice easy.
Old 04-06-2010, 05:15 PM
DC from Cape Cod
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 32 Posts

Turbo brakes mean nothing on the street and the AWD is not a plus in dry, street driving.

Like everyone else, just an opinion. It is your $$$, drive both.
Old 04-06-2010, 08:56 PM
Stealth 993
Nordschleife Master

Received 208 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by MarinS4
I agree that the most important factor is getting the best example of whatever model you choose.

Although I have not driven the C2S I have owned a turbo and now a C4S (with turbo conversion). On both cars I have disconnected the front drive shaft to see if I would like a 2WD conversion. On both occasions I opted to reconnect it. The big downside of AWD is under steer. This is easy to correct with alignment and suspension settings. Steering feel is better in the 2WD mode but not enough to out weight the feeling of confidence of the AWD. Another thing I played with is tire size. From the factory the C4S uses smaller tires in the rear to preload the viscous coupler to send some traction to the front. If you size the tires the same the car behaves like a 2WD until the tires spin in the rear. The more tire spin the more power is transferred to the front wheels. The AWD system in the 993 is unlike most other AWD cars. It transfers very little power to the front wheels.

IMHO the C4S offers the most flexibility and having the turbo brakes makes the choice easy.

My 95 C4 is bone stock, & doesn't understeer at all! In fact it's very neutral. I do very, very well with it @ my local PCA Auto-X. My co-driver has done a few AWD drifts with it, & spun it a couple of times. I've just got is sideways a bit, & it's very controlled & correctable.

I do have a good wheel alignment on it, & know how to set the tire pressures. That can make or break a 993!!
Old 04-06-2010, 09:00 PM
Matt Lane
Rennlist Member

Received 190 Likes on 113 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I only wanted a C4S because I thought the badging was really cool on the back. Yes - this was part of my reason for liking it, crazy as it sounded.

The wider hips get a lot of attention.

The red brakes are a seriously eye catching.

The front end looks nicer too with that turbo type body.
Steve, I love you like a (Rennlist) brother, but What The?

Funny post though. Seriously funny.

Quick Reply: Can't decide, RWD vs 4WD, narrow body vs "S"