Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998

5 years with CEL on (SAI issue), finally decided to fix it. Quoted $750-Sound right?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:02 PM
Mark Harris
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
I reluctantly agree with this so I've scheduled it to be done on Nov 19th-20th at my trusted indie.
Your Indie must be really good if it takes 9 months to get an appointment.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:51 PM
steve g
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Really happy to hear the good news about the new job and hope everything goes well with that.
Old 04-02-2010, 11:35 PM
bobesser
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had my SAI ports flushed by Taylor Chapman in Springfield, VA. Only been a few months, but, no CEL - I was only throwing an intermittent CEL though - it sound like you have a more consistent problem. anyway, Taylor says he has done this about 3 years ago on another client and no problems so far. Cost was about $750.

Bob
Old 04-03-2010, 12:23 AM
Kika
Nordschleife Master

Received 80 Likes on 61 Posts

my mechanic sharged me for 6 hours of labor to drill out both sides, so that sounds dead on, depending on hourly rates.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:37 AM
rw229
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Steve,

Just spit-ballin' here but if the root cause of your CEL is in fact clogged ports, I would think a flush will clear it up. Warranty or not, I can't imagine them clogging and causing another CEL for a while unless there is another aggravating factor.

And to answer your initial question... yes, 750 seems to be a reasonable cost - especially in the DC area. It's also nice that your shop didn't tell you that you need a new top end from the get-go.

Bob,

Just curious, at what mileage did you begin start getting CELs due to SAI ports?

Originally Posted by bobesser
I had my SAI ports flushed by Taylor Chapman in Springfield, VA. Only been a few months, but, no CEL - I was only throwing an intermittent CEL though - it sound like you have a more consistent problem. anyway, Taylor says he has done this about 3 years ago on another client and no problems so far. Cost was about $750.

Bob
Old 04-03-2010, 12:51 AM
chris walrod
Guru
Lifetime Rennlist

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 100 Likes on 51 Posts

Great news Steve on the phone call re: a better position -- great to hear on this great day!!

As for the SAI flush, i'd be surprised if anyone warranties the flush from future CEL/ We've done a lot of these all with success, but one never knows for how long.

The SAI ports can be reamed open some but the heads must come off for this.
Old 04-03-2010, 01:58 AM
kjr914
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve 96C4S
Thanks, but 10 minutes for you guys is a whole day for me. That day may include reading the DIY instructions 16 times trying to figure it out, getting frustrated, finding out I don't have the correct tool, driving to the store and buying the tool and then realizing it's the wrong tool, possibly breaking something - either a tool, part of my car or both, calling a Rennlister for help, starting a new thread on that frustration, and in the end - maybe it gets fixed or maybe it doesn't.

Uh, I will consider it. I googled it and of course this 10 year old thread came up:

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...iler_wall2.htm

I will study it again when I have time. I have to get up at 5am to drive to NYC with my uncle from York, PA to the NYC Auto Show. We're meeting the Pennsylvania Porsche club's bus in Middleton, PA and busing up the rest of the way with them. Can't wait. Time for bed.
Steve,
That's WAY too complicated.... Try this version:
https://rennlist.com/forums/993-foru...l-tonight.html
No need to remove the whole spoiler, no tools required. DIY doesn't get any easier!
Old 04-03-2010, 02:24 AM
Canyon56
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kjr914
Steve,
No need to remove the whole spoiler, no tools required. DIY doesn't get any easier!
+1

Simple job even for Homer Simpson. I'm on my third one (they break way too easy.) But the last one has stayed intact since I put in the RUF module (which means it goes up only at around 75 mph and drops at around 25 mph.)
Old 04-03-2010, 05:01 AM
Steve 96C4S
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 438 Posts

Thanks guys for the latest info. I meant to say APRIL 19-20 I'll be getting the SAI issue fixed, not November. Just 2 weeks from now.

I am using the above reference mechanic to do it, as well, in Springfield VA. Been using him for a few years now with good results.

The CEL came on in a permanent way at about 70k miles. I used the code reader to make the warning light go off, but the next day it would just come back on each time.

As to the spoiler wall, they're already ordering it so I might just let them install it. I know, I'm lazy. It'll be down there anyway...less stress for me to deal with.

Tried to sleep last night without much success. Too excited to go to the Auto Show today in NY. I'm off!
Old 04-03-2010, 09:27 AM
Obie1
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Steve,
Agreed. Spoiler wall is the easiest fix I've done so far. No need to remove spoiler. Original 'how-to' was much too complicated and overkill. I would do myself if Porsche charged anything more than $50

JD
Old 04-03-2010, 11:26 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Steve,
I replaced mine last fall and chose not to remove the spoiler after reading 01/16/2006 update on the Spolier Wall DIY on P-Car Workshop.

Once it is fully split, it is easy to remove. The upper channel (I think it was), was difficult to get started over the metal tube when removing the old upper half.

Everything went smoothly; no forcing, bending, cursing required.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:37 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by chris walrod
The SAI ports can be reamed open some but the heads must come off for this.
Hi Chris,

I'm under the car getting ready to reinstall the complete exhaust system and while looking into the exhaust ports, all I can see is a valve guide and a valve stem.

Where are these SAI ports and how large in diameter are they?
Old 04-04-2010, 06:22 AM
24FPS
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

great news steve!

still remember your original 'diy' for the cel.... that black tape! lol
Old 03-11-2011, 07:29 PM
henkinc
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Likelihood that SAI ports will clean up after "baking gunk in" for 10000 miles

I threw my CEL about 4 years and 10k miles ago on my 93 Cab (with 60k miles now, 1000 miles per qt always). Is it likely that they are so clogged now with hardened gunk in there that they won't clean out?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:19 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by henkinc
I threw my CEL about 4 years and 10k miles ago on my 93 Cab (with 60k miles now, 1000 miles per qt always). Is it likely that they are so clogged now with hardened gunk in there that they won't clean out?
the deposits are hard from the moment they form so there really isn't much a difference if more miles are put on it.
Roto rooter and flush will do it...

Quick Reply: 5 years with CEL on (SAI issue), finally decided to fix it. Quoted $750-Sound right?