Notices
993 Forum 1995-1998
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Four Months with the Turbo.... & Photos (& Answers)

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 11:15 PM
goofballdeluxe
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by beers4all
Chuck - you're killin us - respond or post some more pic's!!
I think the reason why Chuck hasn't responded yet is, you see, Chuck is a Los Angeles Police Officer. I suspect he was pulled over for not running with a front license plate, which is illegal. And these days, mostly enforced.

He's trying to BS his way out of the ticket, so he's late in responding to all these posts
Old 04-01-2010, 11:40 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe
I think the reason why Chuck hasn't responded yet is, you see, Chuck is a Los Angeles Police Officer. I suspect he was pulled over for not running with a front license plate, which is illegal. And these days, mostly enforced.

He's trying to BS his way out of the ticket, so he's late in responding to all these posts

Very nice Chuck!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 357 Likes on 211 Posts

Thanks for the kind words. It is nice to share with those that understand!!

Originally Posted by larpy
I really like the steering wheel!
Thanks. As nice as it looks, the feel is the best part. The cost is a killer though, $1475 plus the hub and shipping from Gert; http://www.carnewal-europe.com/cpx_p036.htm

Originally Posted by gonzilla
Two turbos a top and an extra gear can be fun, eh?
Two completely different beast. Loved the simplicity of the tip and the open air of the car. But the
turbo’s power awsome. Also, the cab had 90K miles on it so the turbo seems so much tighter.

Originally Posted by Gasser
My favorite color. Silver also always looks clean.
Just looks perfect for a street car. I have owned several silver cars. Have tried other colors and always come back to silver...
Great pics.

Jeff
When I was shopping for the turbo exterior color wasn’t a concern. The interior had to be black. The good part about silver is it will wear well over the years. In other words, I plan on keeping the turbo forever and the silver will not get old. So, I kinda lucked out there.

Originally Posted by tdarby
do you have any other pictures of the pedals
Originally Posted by cabrio993
I'm liking the black rennline pedals. More pics?
Sure;

Originally Posted by TRINITONY
very nice. do you ever miss tippy?
Not really. I bought the tip as a daily driver for the Los Angeles freeways. For that purpose, it was great. I prefer the flexibility of the 6-speed.

Originally Posted by JPP
For some of us, this car is thought of as the ultimate 993. So, now that you've driven it awhile, what do you think? Does it live up to it's reputation? Anything about it that leaves you wanting? What's the best thing about it? Is it comparable to your cab in any way?
Too early to give an educated answer. I can tell you that the car is everything I was hoping it would be. It has torque, speed and handles perfect. I will not track it but I will autocross it. It reminds me a lot of the Harley I use to have. There were better engineered motorcycles out there. But it was a Harley. I have a thing for air cooled cars. I grew up driving VW bugs. This fills a special space in my heart. I haven’t found a downside yet.

Originally Posted by Greg964
Looks beautiful Chuck. 996TT wheels are the best looking wheels on 993s IMHO.
Thanks and I agree. The best part is there are a lot of them out there so the price on OEM Hollow Spoke 996 turbo wheels are low. I have $700 wrapped up in them and I have heard of other getting them for less.

Originally Posted by P1CR
We should go for a drive sometime. Give me a ring..
We need to set up a Sunday morning meet at Gladstone’s for the So Cal Rennlist folks.

Originally Posted by Kika
Where did you procure the Red seat belts? I have been thinking about that myself, that is until I start seeing the prices!
Anyone know a good source for red belts, I presume only OEM will fit?
PEP did a group sell to Rennlist members in July of 2007. With exchange and shipping they ran $171.50 for the pair. www.peparts.com

Originally Posted by BSL
Gorgeous!
What shifter do you have--is it the "standard" aluminum one?
It is the shifter from an ‘02 turbo with the aluminum package (I believe). They sell on eBay for $125+. I got mine from LA Porsche Dismantler.

Originally Posted by Arrwin
VERY nice Chuck!
Which LED lights did you use for the position lights? Do you have the OEM Turbo S ducts?
Love those red seat belts too!
The ducts are OEM S ducts. I used 36mm festoon super white bulbs. Very cheap and can be bought at a lot of places.

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
awesome car chuck. We are going almost mod for mod here!!
I’ve noticed that. We bought out turbos within a week of each other too.

Originally Posted by CP
Chuck,

Lovely ride. How do you like the performance?

CP
Thanks. It is amazing.

Originally Posted by PNogC2S
I may have to paint my hardbacks now
There is no may about it. Without having them painted you can't see the shape unless you are on top of them. Painted, particularly light colors, they stand out. Do it.....

Originally Posted by hal m
so where the 996TT wheels a direct fit with no spacers? Ongoing question.
Plug and play. No spacers, no problems.

Originally Posted by goofballdeluxe

I wish….. work is kicking my butt. One year one month until I retire after 36+ years. Thank God I started when I was young (21) !

I am a lieutenant in charge of a section at Major Crimes. Life was much easier as a police officer. Police Officer / Lieutenant … just semantics!

Last edited by Chuck W.; 04-02-2010 at 12:10 AM.
Old 04-05-2010, 06:51 PM
Arrwin
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
The ducts are OEM S ducts. I used 36mm festoon super white bulbs. Very cheap and can be bought at a lot of places.
Great idea! So instead of swapping out the position lights you just replaced the bulbs in them? Is there any retrofitting involved?

Are these the bulbs you are referring to?

Thanks again.
Old 04-05-2010, 07:18 PM
jdistefa
Rennlist Member

Received 484 Likes on 256 Posts

Chuck,

That car is... God... uh, really... wow. I need a tissue.

Post more pics!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:30 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice upgrade Chuck.
Old 04-05-2010, 10:15 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Arrwin
Great idea! So instead of swapping out the position lights you just replaced the bulbs in them? Is there any retrofitting involved?

Are these the bulbs you are referring to?

Thanks again.
Those are the correct size and look. I don't believe that those are LEDs. Look for 8 or 9 lights LEDs in that size. They are a plug and play replacement.

Originally Posted by jdistefa
Chuck,

That car is... God... uh, really... wow. I need a tissue.

Post more pics!
Thanks. You recognize the steering wheel my friend. Thanks again!
Old 04-05-2010, 11:40 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

how do you like the wevo motor mounts? I need to change mine and was planning on going stock. where did you get them.
beautiful car btw! congrats.
Old 04-06-2010, 12:01 AM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Turbodan
how do you like the wevo motor mounts? I need to change mine and was planning on going stock. where did you get them.
beautiful car btw! congrats.
Thanks.....

I like them. There is much more feeling and some sound from the engine, but neither the vibration or sound in overwhelming. I bought them from C1PR who had them on his NB 993. They caused too much noise in his car so he went back to OEMs.

Prior to getting them I did a search on the forum and a vast majority of the feedback was positive.
Old 04-06-2010, 01:16 PM
Turbodan
Rennlist Member

Received 531 Likes on 399 Posts

thanks for the info
Old 04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am going to start two new posting in the next day or two. One dealing with the LED lights and the other for the Red Seat belts. I'll contact the vendor and see what we can do for a group buy.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:10 PM
BSL
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck W.
I am going to start two new posting in the next day or two. One dealing with the LED lights and the other for the Red Seat belts. I'll contact the vendor and see what we can do for a group buy.
Hmmm, wondering how red seat belts would look in a GR cab with tan interior... Maybe too much color?
Old 04-06-2010, 02:17 PM
Chuck W.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by BSL
Hmmm, wondering how red seat belts would look in a GR cab with tan interior... Maybe too much color?
I am betting that someone has them and can post a photo. I am thinking they would look great. The group buy last time was $175. We should be able to cut the same deal.
Old 04-06-2010, 02:43 PM
Wilder
Rennlist Member

Received 5,005 Likes on 1,777 Posts

Chuck, the car looks fantastic. I love all the upgrades. Very subtle and tasteful.
Old 04-06-2010, 04:00 PM
Raptor
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chuck: Your car is so nice. I felt for you when you had the Cab on CL and you were coming up to Menlo. Nice that it all worked out as you wanted. Now I'm just sorta envious.

Quick Reply: Four Months with the Turbo.... & Photos (& Answers)