Sponsored by:

Why is a top end rebuild $7,000?

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 01:14 AM
Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
RL Technical Advisor

Received 65 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by IXLR8
And thanks for answering personal messages when I have s quick technical question.

Is there any reason why one can't send you components such as cylinder heads for a valve and valve guide job?
Hi Alex,

Its been my distinct pleasure to be able to offer you something constructive and useful,...

Indeed, you can send heads (and anything else) here for a properly done valve job. People do this all the time and I've had folks send me heads as far away as Bahrain,....

In addition to our own P-B guides that are hand-honed to fit (they will last far longer than the OEM ones), the valve lengths are maintained to ensure proper hydraulic lifter travel. This prevents buying the expensive oversize lifters,....

Anyone can just call or drop me a line and I can fill in all the details,....
Old 04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
Carrera Cup
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems
In addition to our own P-B guides that are hand-honed to fit (they will last far longer than the OEM ones), the valve lengths are maintained to ensure proper hydraulic lifter travel. This prevents buying the expensive oversize lifters,....
Please excuse my lack of knowledge...

If valve guides are replaced and any ovalised seats have the required reworking, how would the correct hydraulic lifter clearances then normally be maintained...are the standard length lifters adjustable? I had previously assumed that the oil pressure would take up the difference in effective valve stem length. I have heard of some instances where the longer lifters have been wrongly put in causing the dreaded tapping/ticking.

Thanks,

Carerra Cup
Old 04-03-2010, 03:27 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Carrera Cup
Please excuse my lack of knowledge...

If valve guides are replaced and any ovalised seats have the required reworking, how would the correct hydraulic lifter clearances then normally be maintained...are the standard length lifters adjustable? I had previously assumed that the oil pressure would take up the difference in effective valve stem length. I have heard of some instances where the longer lifters have been wrongly put in causing the dreaded tapping/ticking.

Thanks,

Carerra Cup
Thats an excellent question.

First, whenever a valve job is done, the seats are remachined (3-angle) and the valves are ground. These procedures place them slightly deeper into the seat which repositions the tips of the valves closer to the lifters. Given their narrow operating range (due to size), can force the use of the very expensive oversized lifters. These lifters are not adjustable and thats why Porsche makes them in 3 sizes: standard ($97/each), with 2 oversizes ($220/each).

To assure the use of a standard lifter, one compensates for these changes by making very precise measurements of the installed assemblies, individual valve lengths and then slightly grinding the tips to maintain the exact same dimensions. This assures that a standard lifter can be retained.

The only reason I can think of where lifter noise ocurred after a valve job may be due to a failure to follow the procedures listed above, the improper use of an oversized lifter, or perhaps lifter failure (not uncommon after a lot of miles).

Hope this helps,

Last edited by Steve Weiner-Rennsport Systems; 04-03-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Edited for syntax and clarity
Old 04-03-2010, 03:34 PM
Carrera Cup
Intermediate

First, whenever a valve job is done, the seats are remachined (3-angle), the valves are ground, and this places them slightly deeper into the seat. This repositions the tip of the valves closer to the lifters and given their narrow operating range (due to size), can force the use of the very expensive oversized lifters. These are not adjustable and thats why Porsche makes them in 3 sizes: standard ($97/each), with 2 oversizes ($220/each).

One compensates for this by making very precise measurements of the installed assemblies and individual valve lengths and slightly grinding the tips to maintain the exact same
dimensions. This assures that a standard lifter can be retained.

Hope this helps,
You ARE the man
Old 04-03-2010, 05:21 PM
Augustus Davies

[QUOTE=Carrera Cup;7452006]You ARE the man [/QUOTE

I agree. Steve has helped me numerous times with tech help and parts.
He's a good soul...
When my valve job is needed...I'm heading up to Portland!
Old 04-03-2010, 05:46 PM
matt777
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, whenever a valve job is done, the seats are remachined (3-angle) and the valves are ground. These procedures place them slightly deeper into the seat which repositions the tips of the valves closer to the lifters...
Can you grind the end of the valve stems instead? Perhaps this is not possible with the Porsche engines. I'm more familiar with old V8s.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:05 PM
Amfab
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

....and then slightly grinding the tips to maintain the exact same dimensions. This assures that a standard lifter can be retained.
^^Matt, I think that "ends" is what he means by saying "tips" here ^^

...I think
Old 04-03-2010, 06:12 PM
RL Technical Advisor

Originally Posted by Amfab
^^Matt, I think that "ends" is what he means by saying "tips" here ^^

...I think
Yep,..thats correct,....

Quick Reply: Why is a top end rebuild $7,000?