993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 05:40 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Windshield Install Complete

I am in the process of getting my windshield replaced in my 1996 C2 Coupe.

Apparently Pittsburg Glass Manufacturing does not make this product for our car anymore. When they did make it, apparently it was in the $500-600 range.

The glass installer said they need to go thru the stealer to get the glass. $1205 for just the glass... yikes!

Does anyone know an alternate supplier for the windshield for this car?

TYIA-

Bob-

Last edited by boulderbobo; 04-14-2010 at 11:35 PM.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:03 PM
swmic

Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Bob,

I'd check with a different supplier. If you read the archives, you will find out the only supplier is Sigla (SP?) which is the OEM. Last fall several people on the east coast, including myself, got quotes for around 1 K installed with OEM seals.

Shawn
Old 03-29-2010, 06:44 PM
sce46m3
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got mine replaced Friday. Windshield (OEM) was $1,158.58. Parts/install (including seal) about $210.00

Thank goodness South Carolina requires windshield replacement to be covered 100% by insurance.

New one looks great, no creaks or rattles (knock on wood)
Old 03-29-2010, 06:46 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by swmic
Bob,

I'd check with a different supplier. If you read the archives, you will find out the only supplier is Sigla (SP?) which is the OEM. Last fall several people on the east coast, including myself, got quotes for around 1 K installed with OEM seals.

Shawn
Thanks Shawn, I checked with 3 different "approved" by my insurance co. suppliers. All said they need to go thru Porsche.

Bob-
Old 03-29-2010, 06:48 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I got an OE Sigla from and aftermarket company, BUT they had to get it from the dealer and they got better discount than I did which is why I used them. Plus if I bought it from them and it got damaged during install it was 100% on them for the next one. Parts and labor were around 1150.00. They are not cheap, but what an improvement.

Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 06:53 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 648 Posts

I'm toying with the thought of replacing mine. No cracks, but lots of microhazing (?) on it - hundreds of little tiny chips on the surface - almost like it was sandblasted.
Any way to resurface it?
I must becoming immune to the rising cost of everything; those prices don't sound that bad.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:55 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by sce46m3
Got mine replaced Friday. Windshield (OEM) was $1,158.58. Parts/install (including seal) about $210.00

Thank goodness South Carolina requires windshield replacement to be covered 100% by insurance.

New one looks great, no creaks or rattles (knock on wood)

I have a $250 deductable on glass. The current quote is as follows:

Glass - 1053
Seal - 48
Frame - 45
Gasket - 40
Install - 150
Tax - 97

Total - $1,434

Seems like a LOT of $$$$$ for a windshield.

I know you guys are thinking that I shouldn't care because my part is $250. But I do. If the insurance company has to pay stealer prices, at some point that cost will make it's way back to me.

Bob-
Old 03-29-2010, 06:58 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Arena993
They are not cheap, but what an improvement.

Mike
Yep, like driving a new car!

Bob-
Old 03-29-2010, 07:01 PM
Arena993
Race Car

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Well if it needs to be replaced and the dealer is the only source I don't see where you have any other choice except foot the bill yourself. And isn't this why you have insurance in the 1st place. I paid for mine out of pocket since I restored the car and wanted it replaced. Most would prefer and aftermarket version as the factory glass is very soft and pits easily as you probably know. Good to see you want to keep costs in line, but on this no other choices are available

Mike
Old 03-29-2010, 07:02 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Keadog
I'm toying with the thought of replacing mine. No cracks, but lots of microhazing (?) on it - hundreds of little tiny chips on the surface - almost like it was sandblasted.
Any way to resurface it?
I must becoming immune to the rising cost of everything; those prices don't sound that bad.
Mine is not broken either. Just sand blased to the point where it is actually dangerous to drive. Especially in the morning when the sun is just coming up over the horizon. Of course my morning commute is about 75% directely into the sun. Guess what, same thing going home.

Bob-
Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,086 Likes on 648 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Mine is not broken either. Just sand blased to the point where it is actually dangerous to drive. Especially in the morning when the sun is just coming up over the horizon. Of course my morning commute is about 75% directely into the sun. Guess what, same thing going home.

Bob-
And to think people thought I was nuts when I only looked at homes EAST of my first job.
Mine's not dangerous, even in direct sun, but it's annoying.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Smile Update

So I got my new windshield installed today. I decided to bring it to an insurance "approved" shop and hang around while they did the work so I could keep an eye on things. The installer was pretty good, although I don't think he had ever done a 993 before.

The windshield is a German product and was supplied by Porsche.
Comes with 3 parts:
  • Interior frame seal
  • Exterior seal
  • Glass with internal antenna and surrounding grommet
The process:
  • The first thing to do is install the exterior seal into the windshield's grommet. The seal attached to the grommet with a male arrow on the seal that is forced into the grommet. We found that lubricating with window cleaner helped, but still was a bitch.
  • Remove windshield wipers.
  • Remove old windshield. Not a big deal. Cut with a razor between old adhesive and old grommet and separate.
  • Remove old adhesive. Not a big deal. Easily removed with a razor blade.
  • Power calk new adhesive.
  • Connect new antenna. The wire is short. Access to the connection requires loosening the upper dash enough so you can get your hand in under the dash to make the new connection. The connection is located above the passenger side air bag so you can't access it from the a removed glove box. Ugh! I wish I had taken a picture of this because it was a PITA.
  • Set windshield.
  • Install rear view mirror.
  • Put dash back together.
  • Clean up.

All and all it took about 3 hours. looking thru the new glass is like driving a new car

Advice for those considering a new windshield.
  • Try to find someone who has done it on a 993 before. This is not a job for a rookie installer.
  • Do it in their shop. Can't imagine this would have gone all that well with a mobile install.

Bob-
Old 04-14-2010, 05:44 PM
rome
Rennlist Member

I had mine done recently. It's covered by insurance in MA. What a HUGE improvement.
Old 04-14-2010, 06:06 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Boulderbobo- is the "surrounding grommet" you reference above made of metal?

I've been trying to have a new windshield installed for the last couple of weeks and had run into a roadblock. I picked up both the internal and external seals as well as the 996 silicone rope from the dealer, but the installer insisted I needed the "metal part" that the glass sits in. I talked to my local dealer as well as Sunset and consulted the PET and couldn't figure out what the hell he is talking about as no seperate metal part seems to exist.

They were going to install an aftermarket windshild they had on hand. My only guess is that the windshield they have doesn't have a metal surround whereas the factory piece or higher quality aftermarket glass does. If you can confirm it will unlock the mystery and I can finally get it replaced!
Old 04-14-2010, 06:38 PM
tjangi
Three Wheelin'

My outer seal needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if i can just replace the outer seal without risking the breaking of the windshield? Is this a DIY or professional? TIA Sorry for the hijack

Quick Reply: Windshield Install Complete