993 Forum 1995-1998

Windshield Install Complete

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2010, 07:23 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Boulderbobo- is the "surrounding grommet" you reference above made of metal?

I've been trying to have a new windshield installed for the last couple of weeks and had run into a roadblock. I picked up both the internal and external seals as well as the 996 silicone rope from the dealer, but the installer insisted I needed the "metal part" that the glass sits in. I talked to my local dealer as well as Sunset and consulted the PET and couldn't figure out what the hell he is talking about as no seperate metal part seems to exist.

They were going to install an aftermarket windshild they had on hand. My only guess is that the windshield they have doesn't have a metal surround whereas the factory piece or higher quality aftermarket glass does. If you can confirm it will unlock the mystery and I can finally get it replaced!
Brendan, I'm pretty sure that the windshield's surrounding grommet is made of hard plastic and not metal. I am not 100% confident of this tho. There is a groove on the grommet that you force the exterior seal into.

Hope this helps.

Bob-
Old 04-14-2010, 07:25 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by tjangi
My outer seal needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if i can just replace the outer seal without risking the breaking of the windshield? Is this a DIY or professional? TIA Sorry for the hijack
Based on my experience today, I think this could be done.

GL!

Bob-
Old 04-14-2010, 07:27 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

One other thing I forgot. The surrounding grommet came with a metal strip installed in the groove as a placeholder for the external seal.

Sorry. Just remember that.
Old 04-14-2010, 07:44 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 19 Posts

Thanks Boulderbobo- I think that solves the mystery.
Old 04-14-2010, 08:06 PM
MarkD
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tjangi
My outer seal needs to be replaced. Does anyone know if i can just replace the outer seal without risking the breaking of the windshield? Is this a DIY or professional? TIA Sorry for the hijack
Bob is correct, the outer seal is pretty easy to replace... DIY for sure.
Your fingers may be sore afterwards.
Old 04-14-2010, 09:33 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by MarkD
Bob is correct, the outer seal is pretty easy to replace... DIY for sure.
Your fingers may be sore afterwards.
My fingers hurt right now....
Old 04-15-2010, 01:42 AM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great info Bob, did you have it done up your way? Mine is pretty pitted (and so is my paint it's gotta be the most fragile stuff I've ever had on a car, but that's another topic) - I've been kicking around getting it replaced as well. I carry a glass rider but the window must be broken before it is applicable. Glad you can see again!
Old 04-15-2010, 10:55 AM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by martyp
Great info Bob, did you have it done up your way? Mine is pretty pitted (and so is my paint it's gotta be the most fragile stuff I've ever had on a car, but that's another topic) - I've been kicking around getting it replaced as well. I carry a glass rider but the window must be broken before it is applicable. Glad you can see again!
Hey Marty, yes I had in done in Boulder at the glass Doctor. My insurance company was also reluctant to approve replacement without a crack. I told them that the car was dangerous to drive due poor visibility from all the pitting. That was all they needed to hear and I got approval. If you think about it, the pitting is just as bad if not worse than a crack.

Are you planning to attend the gathering at LARPY's on Saturday?

Bob-
Old 04-15-2010, 11:11 AM
g_murray
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

$1,200 to replace a (broken/cracked/pitted) one here, in the New Yawk area, with a Sigla equivalent.

G.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 AM
simpsoap
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

do most of you guys get the window replaced by insurance or pay out of pocket? If insurance is paying for it, are they paying because of the pits or because it's cracked?

Andy
Old 04-15-2010, 05:50 PM
boulderbobo
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by simpsoap
do most of you guys get the window replaced by insurance or pay out of pocket? If insurance is paying for it, are they paying because of the pits or because it's cracked?

Andy
I have a $250 deductable. Insurance paid the rest. Mine was pitted BAD but not broken.

Bob-
Old 04-15-2010, 06:21 PM
TheOtherEric
Rennlist Member

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Bob, FWIW i heard the same story you heard about the aftermarket supplier ending their 993 glass production. That was around 5 years ago (I've written about it in the archives). IIRC I think there were still some floating around for <$600 for the last few years, but perhaps not any more.
Old 04-15-2010, 11:28 PM
martyp
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by boulderbobo
Hey Marty, yes I had in done in Boulder at the glass Doctor. My insurance company was also reluctant to approve replacement without a crack. I told them that the car was dangerous to drive due poor visibility from all the pitting. That was all they needed to hear and I got approval. If you think about it, the pitting is just as bad if not worse than a crack.

Are you planning to attend the gathering at LARPY's on Saturday?

Bob-
Ya Bob I'm planning on attending. I just replaced my tips this evening using some 18-2 hardware (long story), so I can drive it up . Looking forward to the meet.

M

Quick Reply: Windshield Install Complete