Sponsored by:

Ride height options with ROW M030, pics please

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Falcondrivr
Race Car

Received 70 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by vaujot
OK, here's a question for the suspension gurus: The m030 springs were designed to operate at a specific ride height. I would imagine that operating significantly below that ride height could cause problems. For instance, the springs will compress a specified degree on a given load. If you go below the specified ride height, the car might hit the bump stops at earlier than it should.
To put this differently:
Lets assume, with the US setup, the car has 4 inches of suspension travel, before it hits the bump stops.
At ROW M030 ride height, the car would have 3 inches and at ROW RS 2 inches of available suspension travel (this conforms roughly to the differences in ride height).
Presumably, due to the difference in available suspension travel, each spring should hit the bump stops for full compression at the same load. Now, if you lower the car with M030 springs significantly below its designed ride height, it would hit the stops early.
So, is that a problem or has anyone ever experienced a problem?
Best regards, Valerian
That's an interesting question. I have not experienced any problems. But I'm not that much lower than M030 ROW, Maybe 10 cm?
My supposition would be that the springs are variable rate. The lower you set the ride height, the farther you are into the stiffer part of the progression. So the spring performs as before, you are just starting farther into it. Put another way; you still have your 4 inches of travel, you are just sitting 2 & 1/2 into it to start.
Just my guess, I could be way off. My car rides very well. I actually think the 18" wheels did more ride quality damage than the suspension mod did.

Quick Reply: Ride height options with ROW M030, pics please