993 Forum 1995-1998

Problem with new Konis

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 AM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Received 679 Likes on 474 Posts

Originally Posted by AOW162435
Seems normal until the suspension is loaded.

Andreas
I would not be too thrilled with that set-up.

What happens when they are unloaded while driving which is possible under certain conditions.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:13 AM
Greg964
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by IXLR8

What happens when they are unloaded while driving which is possible under certain conditions.
I posed this exact question to Jason at Paragon yesterday and here is what he said:
No, cause even over a bump the spring will not be un-weighted…the shock will never rebound fast enough.
Old 03-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

It's been a couple of years since I installed the shocks/springs on my last 993 but IIRC you have to compress the shocks to install them, they're not able to fully extend when installed.

I'll be doing the Bilstein/MO30 upgrade on my new coupe in a couple of weeks.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Gert
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

True, the rear Koni shock is about 25mm longer than the Bilstein HD.

Just tie the top of the spring to the spring top.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:06 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993BillW
It's been a couple of years since I installed the shocks/springs on my last 993 but IIRC you have to compress the shocks to install them, they're not able to fully extend when installed.
Gotcha!

So the springs may be loose when in the shock by itself, but once it is mounted in the car, the suspension due to its own limits compress the shock and reduce its overall length. Do I understand that correctly. Edited to add: thinking about it, that does not make sense. Usually the shock rod is the length limiter...undo a shock and the control arm will drop further. Would the Porsche have a control arm "stop"?

Originally Posted by 993BillW
I'll be doing the Bilstein/MO30 upgrade on my new coupe in a couple of weeks.
Let us know or PM me to let me as to how that works out. I am a bit concerned since my OEM shocks I now have and which ill need replacement one day, are stiff enough for me. Fifteen minutes on some bumpy backroads is about as much as I can stand. I won't be tracking the car.

Last edited by IXLR8; 03-12-2010 at 12:24 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 12:08 PM
IXLR8
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Greg964
I posed this exact question to Jason at Paragon yesterday and here is what he said:
No, cause even over a bump the spring will not be un-weighted…the shock will never rebound fast enough.
I should have thought of that. Besides, it would have to be one hell of a bump to be airbourne that long to fully extend the shock. I think these shocks were fully extended.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOKhNS0UYR8
Old 03-12-2010, 06:53 PM
ZombiePorsche44
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by geolab
just for the record,
corner balancing procedure does not need the rear shocks to be threaded.
Corner balancing is then done through the front shocks, regards
I disagree totally, especially the part about not having the rear shock bodies threaded......you can corner balance a vehicle using only the front but in a perfect corner balance you adjust all four corners for a better result and that is how my car was set up by Mirage International.
ZP44
Old 03-12-2010, 07:41 PM
Slow Guy
Race Director

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Gotcha!

So the springs may be loose when in the shock by itself, but once it is mounted in the car, the suspension due to its own limits compress the shock and reduce its overall length. Do I understand that correctly. Edited to add: thinking about it, that does not make sense. Usually the shock rod is the length limiter...undo a shock and the control arm will drop further. Would the Porsche have a control arm "stop"?
Like I said it's been a couple of years on the 911, I'll get a refresher in a couple of weeks...

Let us know or PM me to let me as to how that works out. I am a bit concerned since my OEM shocks I now have and which ill need replacement one day, are stiff enough for me. Fifteen minutes on some bumpy backroads is about as much as I can stand. I won't be tracking the car.
I installed B-HD's / MO30's on my '97 cab, I had no complaints whatsoever with the ride, I didn't think it was harsh at all. Vincer77 has the car now and I've talked to him several times, he's voiced no complaints on the setup either. It's what I'm installing on my current coupe. IMHO the HD's and either MO30's or MO33's (if you want a slightly softer ride) are perfect for a non-tracked car, of course the PSS10's would be ideal too but about $800 more expensive (apx).

Quick Reply: Problem with new Konis